Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Scrap metal merchant caught in revolving door seeks compensation

Notices

Old 03-02-2018, 03:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I know I shouldn't drink but I do. The only reason I give in is because I'm weak. There's no addiction. I drink because I like it. Drinking is about killing time. There's nothing else to it than that.
There's no drinking problem, just a problem with people who don't know how to live.
It's not about some big deal about how I'm in the grip of some power. The real truth is that there's not a lot going on in my life, or ever has been, and so I fill the time by drinking.
It's not an addiction though. Obviously you can get into some new habit - someone running Marathons etc- but that activity is only covering up the awful truth.
I drink because I'm insufficent. Because I'm not a good person I drink. It's not the other way around. Drink never made me bad.
There's no special proclitiviy to drink. People think they're so special but I don't think they are. Drink all you like but don't seriously believe you couldn't stop if you really had to.
Yes of course get rid of the habit. It's killing you.
The problem is that the same mind is going to be reaching out just like it's always been.
It's not about the substance. The problem is that people who drink or take drugs have no point to their lives. That's all there is.
Intoxication is suicide. You'd only do it if you felt your life were worthless.
It's not about some chemicals reacting in the brain. We drink because we like it and because there's nothing else going on in our lives.
Yes get rid of drink because it's a kiler. But the same need will be carrying on with whatever takes it's place.
Old 03-02-2018, 03:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think you can theorize about it all you like but addiction habit or not, we can change.

You just have to decide you want to, and then have the faith to see it through the initial transition period, which is very hard....but absolutely doable.

Drink fuels our self hatred. Noone will ever be harder on us than ourselves

I don't think you're weak.

You obviously work very hard to stay drinking, despite all the obvious problems it brings.

All recovery, no matter what method, is based on working as hard to not drink.

Posting here after you drink and then disappearing again isn't really using this place to its full potential - and it's not really any kind of real action either.

Until you really give yourself over to working for recovery you'll never know what you can really do, pt?
Old 03-02-2018, 05:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I drank because I was alcoholic. My addiction tried to come up with every BS excuse there was under the sun..it told me I drank because i was: Bored, Happy, Lonely, Tired, Sad, Inadequate, the list goes on.

Bottom line is you have a choice Ptarmigan. Listen to your addiction or listen to the part of you that knows drinking is the wrong choice. We can help too - but you need to come here before you drink, not after you start. Like dee says, you can't think or talk your way out of this.
Old 03-02-2018, 05:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

The problem is that people who drink or take drugs have no point to their lives. That's all there is.
You make it sound like a fait accompli but its not.

Don't like your life? no point? change it - find purpose and meaning......but you'll need to let go of the bottle first.

back to that faith I mentioned before
Old 03-03-2018, 10:57 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Still confused. I drink a lot. I don't like it, but I don't like not drinking more. I don't think it's addiction though. It's just me having nothing else in my life.
I think I'm finished, but that's not the issue. To continue the conversation is stupid. I drink - we all drink out of choice. We only do it because we want to avoid reality.
There's no addiction. There's only me wanting to drink because there's nothing else going on.
I'm finished really.
I need to try and find something to take alcohol's place - is that possible?
I know that drinking is silly and I want to stop. I'll pour it all down the toilet.
It's all down to my personality. I drink because there's a big gap in my life,

I
Old 03-03-2018, 11:15 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by ptarmigan View Post
I drink because there's a big gap in my life,
Well then, find something to replace drinking and you're sober. Sounds easy.

Unless it's more complicated than finding something to do. Like maybe you drink because you are an alcoholic, and that "gap" in your life is a void, spiritual or otherwise.

But then, there is a solution for that too. But nothing works until you put down the drink.
Old 03-03-2018, 11:16 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Alcohol never fills a gap, it just makes the gap wider.

Not knowing you it is hard to respond to the "i'm finished" comment but I feel sure that is not the case. These days there is help out there if you are feeling really low and it is not a weakness to ask for it.
Old 03-03-2018, 03:47 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Like Carl says if you're convinced that its simply filling free time that has you drinking, it should be no bother to find things to do and not drink for say 6 months?

If you can't be bothered finding other things to do I'd suggest that addiction already has you in its grasp - that terrible apathy has bought many of us to ruin.

D

Last edited by Dee74; 03-03-2018 at 04:50 PM.
Old 03-03-2018, 03:56 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

P - yesterday you said:
There's no addiction. I drink because I like it.
but today you said:
Still confused. I drink a lot. I don't like it

whatever you want to call it, drinking does seem to present a problem for you. it's always advisable to rid ourselves of the things that are causing us problems. can you do that? are you willing to just STOP?