Notices

Checking In

Old 02-28-2018, 05:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Checking In

Hi,

I ran into someone at a doctor's office today. He was from AA. It was fine and we both said hi and that was it.

I used to have really bad night sweats and I would wake up full of anxiety and panic. Now I wake up with dread in the pit of my stomach even though I am not drinking. And that nasty fear and anxiety comes back around 4. I wish I understood that better and I hope it will go away. I heard a person in an AA meeting say she had anxiety for a year after she stopped drinking, It's awful. A year of this?

Plus I am still eating sugar, sugar, sugar and I can't exercise much due to my recent surgery.

I sound like I am whining and I am. I don't like that either.

But what I can say is I am NOT drinking. I do NOT want to get on that roller coaster again as much as I do miss it sometimes.

Hopefully at this point (sober since early January) I should be thankful I am not drinking and leave the rest of the worries behind.
Old 02-28-2018, 06:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You're coming up on two months, so congrats on that! As for anxiety, perhaps it's something that needs to be treated independently of alcohol? When I got sober my depression eased up a lot, since I quit drinking a depressant (of course), but anxiety is something I still have to be aware of.
Old 02-28-2018, 06:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yeah, anxiety seems to be a big one for a lot of people in recovery. How extreme it is seems to vary case by case, so I wouldn't compare the length of time to anybody else. What matters is that you're taking care of it and staying sober.

Congratulations on the continuing sobriety. Keep it up.
Old 02-28-2018, 10:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi ChowChow

It really depends if you've had anxiety before I think.

If this is a new thing I think you can be pretty confident it will go away eventually.
I 'd suggest its usually much quicker than a year, but I'm not a Dr.

I was anxious long before I ever picked up a drink, or a joint though.

If it's been a life long thing, or even a chronic thing of several years for you it's probably going to take a little more than just not drinking to deal with it?

D
Old 03-01-2018, 04:34 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Rar

Hi ChowChow. I'm almost 2 months as well. I still wake up in the middle of the night. It's not panic, but I get up and read and eat. I've been starving and it seems I eat all day long. I'm rather distressed over my weight gain. Anyway, I try to listen to HALT and feel my craves are largely due to hungry, so I eat, usually sweets (like cereal). I read that it evens out and settles in time, so I'm hoping that's the case. I still have anxiety, though it's not as bad in the mornings as it was when I was drinking. I know anxiety is horrible. I hope you can find a solution to the middle of the night anxiety.