Notices

Day 1

Old 02-28-2018, 11:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 1

Wow , this is hard. I don't know where to begin ..
I have been lurking around the corners of this forum for a few weeks now , reading. My own issue is daily drinking , particularly Vodka. Every day I would have at least 4 very large Vodkas mixed with a splash of Diet Soda. Weekends ? It wouldn't be hard for me to knock off an entire handle of Vodka in 3-4 days. I would wake up in the morning feeling like crap .
I am tired of feeling that way. I am tired of sitting on my couch every night drinking . I am tired of making excuses why I can't go do something that would interfere with my drinking time. Mostly , I am tired of hiding this. Everyday feels like a lie .
So , I begin today. Cheers to Sparkling water !
Any advice is welcome !
Old 02-28-2018, 11:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

There is so much to learn from on this site. Welcome.

I think the idea of making excuses so that drinking time is not interfered with is such a relateable aspect of our drinking abuse.

Feels so good, even with the urges and pangs that pass by on a given day, not to be a slave to the poison.
Old 02-28-2018, 11:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I’m on day 2. One of the main reasons I needed to stop is because of the very thing you both mentioned. Things interfering with my drinking time. Even my kids calling was a nuisance because it was a pain to have to act sober on the phone. WHAT THE HECK?? That’s AWFUL of me!!!
Welcome. I do a lot of reading and a little posting, but your post really spoke to me.
Old 02-28-2018, 02:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congrats on day 1 pixiedust. I have found sobriety to bring with it an overwhelming sense of freedom and release from the constraints alcohol had imposed on my life. Wishing you well on your recovery journey 💜
Old 02-28-2018, 02:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Blondescorp View Post
I’m on day 2. One of the main reasons I needed to stop is because of the very thing you both mentioned. Things interfering with my drinking time. Even my kids calling was a nuisance because it was a pain to have to act sober on the phone. WHAT THE HECK?? That’s AWFUL of me!!!
Welcome. I do a lot of reading and a little posting, but your post really spoke to me.
Congrats on day 2 blondescorp 💜
Old 02-28-2018, 03:24 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi pixiedust - welcome to a great place for encouragement. We all know what you're going through.

I like the way you put it - 'Every day feels like a lie'. Sadly, so true. I was drinking vodka all day when I first came here. I couldn't imagine how I'd let go of it - but I got free over 10 yrs. ago. It feels wonderful to no longer be in it's clutches. It's amazing how we thought we needed it to enhance our lives. Proud of you for seeing what needed to be done, and taking action. Congrats on Day 1.

Blondescorp - 2 days is fabulous. You're doing this.
Old 02-28-2018, 04:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It's funny what can be our final straw . Mine should have been running a 5k completely hungover . It was embarrassing . Or having to walk to a parent teacher conference because I had been drinking . Nothing like being the "perfect" Mom on the outside with a big secret. But my "that's it " moment was stomachache from eating a completely awful dinner . It was a weird combo of food that at the time my drunk mind thought was amazing . My husband made a comment of it. A small , insignificant comment made me say to myself "ENOUGH !"
I feel good tonight .
Old 02-28-2018, 04:53 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Rar

Welcome Pixiedust. Congrats on taking the first step to sobriety. SR is a huge support. There's a wealth of information in these threads and folks are honest and supportive. Looking forward to getting to know you.
Old 02-28-2018, 10:34 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome pixedust
Why not join our March support thread?

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...-part-one.html (Class Of March 2018 Support Thread - Part One)
Old 03-01-2018, 05:40 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I hope it's been going ok today, pixie.
Old 03-01-2018, 06:04 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Day 2

Thanks for checking in.
Doing good. Bit stressed around dinner time tonight . My husband still has his evening cocktail . So when I saw him put the bottle on the counter top ..it killed me. I was snappy and very edgy. I told him not cool , asked him to move his stuff to the bar cabinet where I don't have to see it . He did and it really helped with me feeling tempted.
So , winding down for bed . Watched my favorite t.v show and proud to say I will remember everything that happened tomorrow morning ! Here's to another sober day !
Old 03-01-2018, 06:09 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Very happy to hear the good news.
Old 03-01-2018, 07:04 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome Pixie and congrats. I love my sparkling water too. I drink about 6 La Croix a day.