Health issues

Old 02-26-2018, 11:29 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Health issues

So over the weekend AH had his 3rd gallbladder type attack. Severe pain, vomiting etc. He has not drank since super bowl sunday. He coincidentally already had a dr appt today so they sent him for an ultrasound.

The dr called and said they were referring him to a surgeon because "something is going on, " there is sludge in the pancreas/ gallbladder. He is a big guy and not the healthiest eater but I can't help but think this is an alcohol related illness. Anyone have experience?
Old 02-26-2018, 12:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

My sister is an all day alcoholic, she has been hospitalized 3 times in 18 months due to pancreitis. I don't know much about it, other than its not something to mess with. You must be very worried. The good thing is, maybe this is the wakeup call he needs.,
Old 02-26-2018, 02:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

when one is a confirmed drinker, it's easy to say that any illness is probably alcohol related to some degree!?

as they say, more shall be revealed!
Old 02-26-2018, 06:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I’m sorry you’re hurting. I would call the doctor directly and ask if it could be alcohol related. Scary.
Old 02-28-2018, 08:14 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have a family member (who does not drink at all) that has this "sludge" as well. They are on an extremely low fat diet for the rest of their life, with the expectation that eventually the gall bladder will have to be removed.

Pancreatitis is definitely related to alcohol abuse, it's the #1 cause I believe. So if it's that, I would say definitely.
Old 02-28-2018, 10:45 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for your responses. The surgeon said he looked ok, no stones and that is was probably just a virus or stomach flu. Weirdest things I have ever seen.
Old 03-01-2018, 12:25 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Awake2018 View Post
Thanks for your responses. The surgeon said he looked ok, no stones and that is was probably just a virus or stomach flu. Weirdest things I have ever seen.
Glad he looks ok for now. The heavy drinking of course does not bode well, and could well point to pancreatitis.

Though in my case, after years of similar attacks and no stones ever detected, a nuclear medicine test finally revealed “sludge” gumming up my gall bladder. Had the offending organ removed 7 years ago, and I have never had another episode. (I am a healthy weight, middle-aged, non-drinker, non-smoker.)

Hope this helps!
Old 03-03-2018, 01:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Sounds like pancreatitis to me my alcoholic wife is frequently admitted to hospital for this it can be life threatening. Get him checked. It can lead to the pancreas being removed, which means they will need insulin injections.
Old 03-03-2018, 03:31 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

ollie, he was just AT the doctor's......