Notices

Adult sibling in recovery needs money

Old 02-26-2018, 08:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Adult sibling in recovery needs money

My brother and I, both retired and on limited but sufficient budgets, have been approached by our younger (57 y.o.) sibling for money, yet again. She is unable to keep a job because she really has no skills and is always the first to get laid off (last in, first out). She only makes minimal wages, even when employed and is usually on unemployment. Her budget is minimal, low rent, cell phone, internet and utilities. Yet, no matter what she earns she can't make enough money to meet her basic bills. If she loses one day's pay, that's it -- she won't have enough money that month. Her financial situation is unsustainable and we don't know what to do.
We have helped her out in the past but it's not something that we can continue you do. Anyone have any thoughts?
Old 02-26-2018, 08:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

My thoughts would be nope nope nope
Old 02-26-2018, 08:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

My opinion based on my experience is NO!
Old 02-26-2018, 08:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I agree. Nope. I look at the quote - "You give a poor man a fish and you feed him for a day. You teach him to fish and you give him an occupation that will feed him for a lifetime." Instead of just giving her money - help her find resources to better her situation.
Old 02-26-2018, 09:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You know what? I am in that same boat on her side. She's got no money but she can find ways.

I have to make some big decisions and once again I'm trying to sell a bunch of stuff to keep my place. The last thing I want to do is ask for money.

Cause I wouldn't give it to me neither.
Old 02-26-2018, 09:08 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I would have her check into governmental services. Perhaps they can help her with food, utilities, and healthcare.
Old 02-26-2018, 09:21 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

^^ That is what I did. If she digs enough hopefully she can find help.

I did not get any social assistance but I was able to get food from the local food bank when times were very lean.
Old 02-26-2018, 10:25 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi. Is she in recovery, or an active alcoholic? If in early recovery she may still be trying to get straight from when she was drinking I suppose.

I don't know where in the world you are, but here in the UK there is CAP (Christians Against Poverty) who are great at helping people get straight after descending into financial chaos. It might be worth looking into whether there is somewhere like this near her.

There are different ways of helping. Just giving her money hasn't helped before. Perhaps she needs more of a hand trying to find a way to budget, and look at how she could balance things. Or encouragement to apply for a better job if she's secure enough in recovery to do so.

When you say 'in recovery' what do you mean? Is she actually working a program of recovery, or just momentarily sober do you think?

BB
Old 02-26-2018, 11:06 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Food banks, SNAP benefits if she qualifies, some agencies will help find work for the underemployed, but there may be a qualifying age for that.
Can’t give her money that you don’t have, right?