Notices

Struggling with withdrawals

Old 02-25-2018, 04:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Struggling with withdrawals

I've been drinking pretty heavily for about 7 years. Always beer, and for the most part I could take a day or two off in between, but almost always daily and at least a 6 pack in a session, more on the weekends. Started out because I was self medicating my social anxiety. It's gotten progressively worse.

In the past couple months I've been unemployed I tend to have closer to 15-20 drinks,. Between being sick and hungover and drunk I'm basically useless.

I really want to quit, and I've made a conscious decision to, but on those nights when I'm sober in between drinking I feel like I'm dying. I try to sleep, and every time I fall asleep it's more lucid than anything and 15 minutes later I spring out of bed with an adrenaline rush so intense I feel like I'm having a heart attack. I've tried benadryl and melatonin to sleep but it doesn't seem to help much.

I feel like the withdrawals may be life threatening at this point, because I've had palpitations and sporadic afib's in the past. It's scary thinking that I could wake up to a fatal heart attack at 30 because I'm trying to stop drinking. I'm not really sure what to do.
Old 02-25-2018, 04:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Go see a doc. They can help you detox safely and get longer term help. It was be thing you don’t initially feel like- AA, rehab, but it’s wirth it to get back to being you and having a good/better life.
Old 02-25-2018, 05:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

The most important thing right now is your safety. What you are experiencing is very serious. Go to an ER now. John
Old 02-25-2018, 05:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yeah, I agree with axeman, a doc can give you inexpensive meds that you take short-term to mitigate the symptoms.

It's worth it to get safely off.
Old 02-25-2018, 07:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Please go to the doctor and explain to them what you are experiencing. Your life is important.
Old 02-25-2018, 07:49 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I’m going to have to agree with the group here. It’s great that you want to take the first steps, but I’d definitely go see a doctor.
Old 02-25-2018, 07:55 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Glad you are here today. I agree with everyone else as well. Head to the ER, they can help you through the withdrawals safely, and also point you toward resources to help with recovery.

Please check in with us when you get there.
Old 02-25-2018, 07:57 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I had the same issues trying to quit. I went to my doctor. It wasn’t easy to sit there and be honest, but I did. He helped me detox and now, 38 days later, I’m so glad I started there!
Old 02-25-2018, 01:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hello, James. I agree with everyone--see a doctor immediately. Your drinking history sounds a lot like mine prior to rehab in 2011. For me it was 8-12 beers/day with occasionally a few more, (never wine or spirits) for roughly 4 years. Within 12 hours of stopping cold I was in full-blown alcoholic hallucinosis with horrifying audio-visuals, anxiety through the roof, pounding heartbeat--truly hell on earth.
I needed lots of help to quit, and that included detox and 2 months of inpatient rehab. I don't want you to have to go through that psychotic nightmare and there are meds that will keep the worst at bay.
Withdrawal can be life-threatening; I had a seizure in detox and was transferred to a regular hospital and stayed for a week, 3 days of it with altered mental status and completely lost to me; I could only piece it together much later through hospital records and a single odd, detached dream.
This place has been a great help to me in getting and staying sober, and I hope you stick with us--lots of wonderful advice and support from people who really do care. All the best. See a doctor.