Notices

Day 13 - Wish I was doing better than I am.

Old 02-24-2018, 04:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 13 - Wish I was doing better than I am.

Don’t mean to sound like a misery guts, but I’m still struggling pretty bad after almost two weeks. I’m still finding it really hard to concentrate on any one task for more than a few mins, I can only seem to sleep about 6 hours a night despite being really tired, I find myself getting really anxious and angry at the slightest thing and for some reason I’m getting weird bouts of tinnitus. On the plus side, physically my body does feel better and waking up drenched in rancid withdrawal sweat seems to have subsided.

I keep telling myself that after going hard for 14 years, I’m not going to be able to repair that damage in 14 days. My intake had become such a toxic concoction of coke, marijuana, benzos and all washed down with a massive amount of alcohol, frankly I’m not sure which withdrawal symptoms maybe associated with which substance. Not that it really matters I suppose, but I did read that peak benzo withdrawal comes about 2 weeks after quitting.

I feel like I’ve been doing all the right things though. I’ve been going to the gym, taking better care of myself, going to meet ups, trying to eat healthier. I guess I’m just a bit frustrated at the lack of progress. Sorry for the rambling bollocks, I live alone and just needed to vent.
Old 02-24-2018, 04:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Good for you, Pete! Benzo withdrawal is really tough--you're doing great!
Old 02-24-2018, 04:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

The first few weeks/months of recovery can be a bit rough, but it will get better. Hang in there.
Old 02-24-2018, 05:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Pete, my first 30 days of recovery were filled with ups and downs. Sleep was sporadic, my emotions were all over the place, and I had terrible brain fog.

I had to trust things would get better. They did, and they will for you the longer you're clean and sober.
Old 02-24-2018, 05:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Your doing great, keep it up, it will get better
Old 02-24-2018, 05:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you for your post. This is hard and I sorry you are going through this too but selfishly I feel better knowing that I am not alone out here.

I had forgotten about those awful sweats. That's one thing that has changed that I hadn't noticed at all. I really don't miss waking up in a pool of sweat hungover.

Keep posting.
Old 02-24-2018, 05:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Chow, yup I’m right there with you. I keep telling myself I must be through the worst because thankfully I longer wake up feeling like I’ve just fallen through the ice covering a frozen swamp. That can only be a good thing.
Old 02-24-2018, 05:45 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Keep it up, Pete, you're doing great! You may not be doing as well as you had hoped so far, but you're MUCH better than you were two weeks ago! I've got to hand it to you. With all the crap that was in your system and staying clean and sober, you are one strong guy. Celebrate with your favorite food or hobby. You deserve it. :-)
Old 02-24-2018, 05:50 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Wow Cali, I’m pretty sure that’s the first time anyone has ever called me strong in any context and for any reason. Thanks, your comment means a lot.
Old 02-24-2018, 05:54 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Well it is amazing that you managed to pull through! I don't think I could have done it. I am just an alcoholic and even so it is really hard. Keep posting we are in this together.
Old 02-24-2018, 06:35 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Really good job, Pete. Hang on! It gets so much better, and you never have to do this again.