Notices

Diazepam ( benzodiazepine) concern

Old 02-22-2018, 12:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Diazepam ( benzodiazepine) concern

My Gp has renewed a prescription for diazepam 2mg x 28 to be dispensed every 7 days for 28 days .
While the dose is relatively low in comparison to some that I have read about and my own past experienced at one point in my life I feel that I am using these as a safety net and beginning to worry if if I don't have some in my medicine cabinet .
Years ago I had quite a serious problem with these and i,m talking about a prescription of 56 10mg tablets every 2 weeks or so . This was back in the day where the GPs dished these out like smarties .
My son is about to be released from prison and while I am delighted for him I am also worried about how things will be as he will be staying with us until he gets a place which can take a while . To be honest I am saving the benzo tablets up as I don't take them every day which I know is the wrong thing to do .
I am a bit in between decisions whether to put a stop to collecting these prescriptions and coming clean to my GP about my concerns . I know what I should do but I feel a psychological need for them.
Old 02-22-2018, 12:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by hpdw View Post
I know what I should do but I feel a psychological need for them.
You're posting about them on a sobriety forum.
I think you know what to do.

Best of Luck on Your Journey.
Old 02-22-2018, 01:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I would definitely talk with your GP about your concerns.
If you're saving them up you clearly already know thats could be a road leading to danger.

D
Old 02-22-2018, 05:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I know what I should do and the closer its gets to my sons homecoming the more fearful I am becoming . Its unknown what will happen , he,s promised the earth he won't return to his old ways and to be honest neither myself or my wife could go through that again if he did . As I have learned, anxiety is born out of fear and I am becoming more anxious by the day .
Old 02-22-2018, 06:14 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...-man-show.html (Recovery and relapse are not a one man show)

I recommend reading this thread.
Old 02-22-2018, 06:50 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I agree that talking to your dr is a good idea. It's possible he has legitimate reasons for prescribing the medication, but expressing your concerns is the way to go.

It's completely understandable that you are concerned about your son coming to live with you. You're a parent and I'm sure you hope that your son is going to turn around his life. I think if you and your wife have a firm boundary in place about what is unacceptable, it may help to ease your mind. I hope it goes well.
Old 02-22-2018, 06:51 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Frickaflip233 I read the thread and the OP post was very detailed and made me feel so connected with him and many others here . I wish him well in his recovery .
I read your response and almost every word sounded like it was meant for me .
This is so very very helpful ,honestly I can't say enough how this post has shifted my perspective .

Anna thank you so much for this sound advice .

Love
Old 02-22-2018, 06:54 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Benzodiazepines

It sounds to me that you might have a problem with these, or are about to. You already know that they are addictive. Definitely talk to your doctor. Good luck with your son coming home.
Old 02-22-2018, 07:52 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Is your doctor weaning you off the prescription and so you are saving them for the stress you think you might endure when your son comes home?
Old 02-22-2018, 08:30 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

You seem to be feeling some anxiety. This is a known side-effect of benzo use. In the long run, I think you will feel better if you stop the diazepam.
Old 02-23-2018, 02:35 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Mizzuno the second part of your post is correct . I am possibly worrying unnecessarily about what might happen . a thousand "what if "thoughts are running through my mind . I have slipped down the ladder somewhat with regards to anticipatory anxiety . What went on in our family in the run up to Christmas 2016 was the stuff of nightmares. I was part of the nightmare recovering from a 10 day binge .So in the space of 3 weeks my Brother died from a long term illness and my son was jailed for breaking the terms of his parole due to alcohol and violent behavior .
Old 02-23-2018, 04:45 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

It sounds like you should start seeing a therapist. They can also get you on some non-addictive medications if need be. Benzos are not something to play around with and stating you've had problems in the past with them, you don't want to be setting yourself up for addiction hell.
Old 02-23-2018, 09:57 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

I had a horrible experience with benzos at one time, and they possibly saved my life at another time.

A benzo taper of about 2 1/2 weeks got me through alcohol withdrawal in inpatient rehab.

Several years prior, benzo prescription freely given as an aid to "cut down" on drinking lead to addiction to both and a horrific withdrawal.

There are many treatments for anxiety, benzos are but one, and usually seem to be effective in the short term. If you're taking them for anxiety, I would suggest going to a psychiatrist that specializes in addiction and recovery rather than a GP. They just don't have the training and experience in dealing with psych meds that a psychiatrist does.

A referral from my GP to a psychiatrist got me sober.
Old 02-23-2018, 10:09 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Helpful answers but in UK you would wait 3 or 4 months to see a physiologist or psychiatrist unless of course you were very acute and a threat to yourself or others .
I guess it,s wait and see what happens and saying the serenity prayer .
Old 02-23-2018, 10:46 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I think your own sobriety has to be at the very top on this list.

I weaned off benzos and I weaned off alcohol.

I would not allow anyone in my home who would threaten my sobriety. So, the very first issue and the kid would be out. No ifs ands or buts.

I'm pretty hardcore, though. I didn't go back home to mom when my world fell apart due to drinking, and I wouldn't let a kid come home if I thought s/he was not 100% on board with the rules and boundaries. You're in charge in YOUR home.
Old 02-23-2018, 10:55 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hpdw View Post
Mizzuno the second part of your post is correct . I am possibly worrying unnecessarily about what might happen . a thousand "what if "thoughts are running through my mind . I have slipped down the ladder somewhat with regards to anticipatory anxiety . What went on in our family in the run up to Christmas 2016 was the stuff of nightmares. I was part of the nightmare recovering from a 10 day binge .So in the space of 3 weeks my Brother died from a long term illness and my son was jailed for breaking the terms of his parole due to alcohol and violent behavior .
Yes, I do understand. My condolences to you and your family in regards to your brother passing.

The old saying "When it rains, it pours" comes to mind about the scenario in 2016.

Boundaries are essential with family members, friends and with life. Creating boundaries with your son may be able to help you with your anxiety. Seeing how your son is an adult, it is good to remember that you are not responsible for his choices or his life. You do not have to put yourself in a situation that would create more anxiety for you especially if it causes you to to become "sick" with anxiety and you cope by taking anti-anxiety meds that are highly addictive.

I have suffered from anxiety for many many years. My anxiety really got the best of me a few weeks ago after a month of horror. I do know what you are speaking of.

It may be best to speak with a professional about your coping skills for long term health. I am taking my own advice as I write this.
Old 02-23-2018, 11:19 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I just wanted to share my experience with you.

I am in the UK so I know about our NHS and waiting times etc. I also work with the NHS too.

I have struggled with anxiety for a long time.
Most of the GP's that treated me were unwilling to prescribe benzodiazepines and if they did it was for no more than a couple of days.

There is a massive drive in the NHS to not prescribe drugs like this and some surgeries have signs up saying we do not prescribe this type of medication.

So from that I would take that the GP has strong clinical reasons for his/her decision to do this.

You can manage anxiety with other drugs without the risk of addiction and withdrawal and maybe it might be appropriate to chat to your GP about this.

You seem quite conflicted and worried about your current situation.
You have been through lot too and I am so sorry to learn of your losses.

To me, I get the impression that there are a number of issues that don't 'sit well' with you.
I would not say this is a bad thing though.
To me it shows you are self aware and you are monitoring whats happening.

I think the key is to keep being open and honest when communicating with your GP.

We are like a large family here at SR.
We never close. Someone is always around!!
We welcome anyone who needs us.

There were nights when I was so lonely and scared, I slept with my laptop next to me as it made me feel closer to my family here.
Everyone understands and never judges.

I know access to counselling in the UK is not fast, but there is good evidence that a combination of drug treatment and counselling/CBT/therapy is successful.

There are patient support groups, have you thought about googling whats available in your area and seeing if they have meetings or advice?

It maybe of benefit to attend Al-Anon meetings if you feel there is strong link between how you feel and your sons drinking.
Al anon is friends and family of alcoholics.

I wish you the best xx
Old 02-23-2018, 11:41 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

you should know that benzos work on the same receptors in the brain as alcohol which for me was a danger as I felt so relaxed. I want to drink.If you can take only in extreme times of crisis. I would say that s ok but a psychiatrist is the best person to prescribe these as some doctors hand them out willie nilley.Good luck whatever you decide I know the dangers of benzos I used to swallow handfuls with the drink in my youth and go of stealing cars, kegs of beer and lots of other crazy stuff.
Old 02-23-2018, 12:01 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Am I reading that right? 28, 2mg 'xanex'(diazapam), that gets refilled every 7 days?
Old 02-23-2018, 01:08 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
dcg
D♭7♭9♯9♯11♭13

Diazepam isn't Xanax, but yeah, it sounds like four 7-day prescriptions for valium 4x daily.