Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Why do people ask you if you’re going to become a vegan when you quit drinking?

Notices

Old 02-20-2018, 03:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I’m new into non-drinker status (almost 50 days though!! Which I’m still proud of). And I’ve been a vegetarian for many years and a vegan (for Lent one year? though I’m not now. Without starting any kind of political discussion about the merits of any approach just wondering if you get this question and if you understand the logical leap? I guess you’re giving stuff up? But why don’t people ask about sugar or caffeine or other stuff people give up? Anyhow just think it’s kind of funny. That is all.
Old 02-20-2018, 03:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I've never been asked about becoming a vegan, but then I don't usually talk about being a non-drinker.

Congratulations on 50 days!
Old 02-20-2018, 04:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I've never been asked that either.

Maybe they assume that because you have been vege for a while and vegan in the past....or maybe you've told them you're quitting drinking for health reasons and they made the leap?

D
Old 02-20-2018, 06:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congrats on 50 days! I think maintaining a vegetarian diet is admirable, though I suppose to some it's a state of doing without, hence the vegan comments.
Old 02-20-2018, 06:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Samantha

Maybe it has to do with cutting things out of your diet?
Old 02-20-2018, 07:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'd probably throw my steak at someone who asked me that. I've got respect for vegetarians and had heard of vegan,but never knew exactly what it was until my brother switched to it after some heart issues.

Meant to say too: I don't gt the correlation between vegan and hard liquor/wine though..
Old 02-20-2018, 07:56 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Ha. Thanks everybody! Throwing steak at someone may be my new favorite image. Anyhow can’t hit the thanks button from my phone. Or I’m not smart enough to anyway so I’m just saying it the “old fashioned” way.
Old 02-20-2018, 07:58 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Ha! Now I know what to say when someone says "why don't you drink?""well I'm vegan, of course". That's actually totally hilarious. You mean that grey goose I loved actually was made from grey geese? Holy crap, who knew?
Old 02-20-2018, 08:00 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Btw, congrats on 50 days.

Wild turkey? Cold duck? And I thought it was grapes and grains and potatoes and stuff.........
Old 02-20-2018, 08:12 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Frickaflip233 View Post
Ha! Now I know what to say when someone says "why don't you drink?""well I'm vegan, of course". That's actually totally hilarious. You mean that grey goose I loved actually was made from grey geese? Holy crap, who knew?
lol.....the steak comment was funny too.
do these people know you're a vegetarian and was a vegan?
if not maybe it's just sarcasm from people who know they drink too much?
that's something I could relate to.
Old 02-20-2018, 10:00 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I've never experienced it, but if many of your friends are vegan, they may just be trying to push their views on you. Many vegans have an almost cult like view and shame others that don't follow their lifestyle.
Old 02-20-2018, 10:39 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
dcg
D♭7♭9♯9♯11♭13

Hardly anyone knows that I quit drinking, and hardly anyone knows I'm a vegan, heh.
Old 02-21-2018, 12:35 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

wanna know? ask the people asking.
Old 02-21-2018, 12:36 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I stopped smoking 7 1/2 years ago , stopped drinking 29 weeks ago , joined a slimming club 4 weeks ago and lost 11 lb by cutting out pasta, bread ,butter cheese , pies and pastries and almost all chocolate . Maybe Vegan is next then after than de-digitization .
Old 02-21-2018, 04:05 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I was vegan for 8 years, so if someone were to ask me I'd say "been there, done that.". I believe the reason someone would ask that question is the logical fallacy that you are quitting drinking because you are going on a dietary health kick and being a vegan is considered by some the extreme end of that scale. I suppose some give up alcohol for the same reason they became vegan, but the two are not contingent on one another.
Old 02-21-2018, 06:34 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
dcg
D♭7♭9♯9♯11♭13

Originally Posted by Tang View Post
I was vegan for 8 years, so if someone were to ask me I'd say "been there, done that.". I believe the reason someone would ask that question is the logical fallacy that you are quitting drinking because you are going on a dietary health kick and being a vegan is considered by some the extreme end of that scale. I suppose some give up alcohol for the same reason they became vegan, but the two are not contingent on one another.
Are you a vegetarian now, or went back to a full carnivore diet?
Old 02-21-2018, 08:44 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I've never been asked that but I've been a vegetarian since 1993.
Old 02-21-2018, 09:54 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Vegan

I have a friend who was vegan for a while because she wanted to lose weight. She did not. There is tofurkey and vegan pizza and veganaise (vegan mayonnaise) and she ate all of them. And went back to being a carnivore. But I do admire people that are vegetarians or vegans and healthy. It just seems a bit high maintenance. I think I will stick to not drinking. There's no correlation of course! The above comments crack me up by the way 😀
Old 02-21-2018, 12:43 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by icewater1961 View Post
I have a friend who was vegan for a while because she wanted to lose weight. She did not. There is tofurkey and vegan pizza and veganaise (vegan mayonnaise) and she ate all of them. And went back to being a carnivore. But I do admire people that are vegetarians or vegans and healthy. It just seems a bit high maintenance. I think I will stick to not drinking. There's no correlation of course! The above comments crack me up by the way ��
I take great joy in texting my older brother(vegan) pics of my polar opposite from vegan meals from time to time. Always foods that we loved as children and adults. Paybacks a '*****' for messing with me as a child!
Old 02-21-2018, 12:46 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Never been asked. But, when I quit a few years back I did become a vegan for a couple of months. Couldn't handle the bland food.