Notices

Pitting Edema In Ankles :(

Old 02-20-2018, 02:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Pitting Edema In Ankles :(

First let me note that I have had this for a very long time and off. As far back as 5 years ago I noticed my leg and ankles were swelling and pitting after drinking alcohol.

I'm now 11 days alcohol free. The pitting I have is only on the inside ankle. If I press the skin on my inside anklebone , or just around the bone, there is pitting that lasts about 10 second. But that is the only place where it is. It doesn't affect my foot, or my leg.

It's not even noticeable to the observer.

I do sit at the computer for long periods. I'm talking 10 hours a day some days. But, I also exercise. I lift weights, jump rope, and I walk. It's worse when I'm sat at the computer on my exercise "rest" days.

My initial thought is "heart problems" because Google. But I don't fit that criteria as I have no other symptoms. No shortness of breath. I can exercise fine.

It's a million times better than it was when I was drinking and some days I dont get it but it's been 11 days and I'm rather concerned and anxiety is kicking in now.

I have jumped rope for over 12 months. I am wondering if the rope jumping is no good for my ankles. Today I did a session and my right ankle is in so much pain in the inner ankle area. Feels like a tendon. No swelling. It's a throbbing muscular pain, I felt it as I was approaching 20 minutes jumping and had to stop.

I have booked a doctors appointment to discuss. Just wanted to know if anyone else has had similar since quitting?
Old 02-20-2018, 02:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I used to get swollen ankles, lower legs, puffy face and swollen fingers after a long binge. Just my system struggling to remove the fluid from my body. It usually disappeared within a few days of stopping.
But, I did have a desk job, before I even used to drink to excess, and I found that my ankles used to get a bit puffy after I had sat for long periods a day. The doctor said at the time, it was just because of the sitting.
Old 02-20-2018, 02:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Perhaps go and see you Dr. rather than using Google to search for your symptoms. I am sure they will be able to answer any questions.

All the best
Old 02-20-2018, 02:25 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberista View Post
Perhaps go and see you Dr. rather than using Google to search for your symptoms. I am sure they will be able to answer any questions.

All the best
As noted in my original post I have a doctors appointment booked
Old 02-20-2018, 03:54 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Rar

I also had pitting edema in my ankles and legs when I drank. My socks and even my shoes left marks. I thought it was from sitting too long at the computer (which could have contributed to it), but in retrospect it was the drinking. Now it's pretty much gone except for normal edema which shows up when my diet is poor.

Best to you 16 years..........
Old 02-20-2018, 04:17 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

I think the rope jumping is not helping your ankles. I started to mix up my cardio because I am getting vericous veins.

I am going to start doing burpees as they are such a great whole body work out. It is tough for me to do them at the gym though for some reason. Nobody does them.

Once I quit being a drunk, I started going to the Dr. again.

It had been years. Last real check up was in the ER for a panic attack. Somehow, I made it out without being locked up for booze related analysis.

Anyway...

Now that I accept I am an addict for life I am working to heal. I have come so so far physically and mentally.

When i was a drunk my face and feet would swell, I had heart issues, tingling, agoraphobia etc etc.

I was speeding up my aging process. It was a living hell.

Now everything is better. I get compliments on how I look. My relationships are all improved.

I still crave mentally, but I can defeat it because I know all about booze and am no longer physically addicted.

I look in the mirror and smile because I see what is left of the real me and it is not terrible.

Forme wanting to quit was half the battle, education has been the rest so far.

Thanks.
Old 02-20-2018, 04:20 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Rar View Post
I also had pitting edema in my ankles and legs when I drank. My socks and even my shoes left marks. I thought it was from sitting too long at the computer (which could have contributed to it), but in retrospect it was the drinking. Now it's pretty much gone except for normal edema which shows up when my diet is poor.

Best to you 16 years..........
I actually read one of your posts on here from a while back that discussed edema. I was the same, my socks would leave deep rings around my legs. That doesn't happen anymore, and hasn't happened since I was drinking. Thank goodness!

I'm off for my 3 mile walk in a moment. That usually helps. All I can do is keep exercising, and eating right.

My diet at the moment isn't super fantastic compared to a strict no fat diet. But, I exercise a lot and need the carbs and protein. I mostly eat chicken breasts and vegetables on a daily basis for dinner (with rice, or sweet potatoes). 1000 calories comes from the 2 protein shakes I have per day. That leaves little room for breakfast, fruit snack, and lunch. I've only changed my diet since quitting though. Prior to that my diet was not good at all.

These little issues are so depressing though and cause me to feel annoyed and angry. My anxiety will tell me I'm about to die of some illness. There is no way in hell I could go back to drinking again. These problems are too much deal with.
Old 02-20-2018, 04:26 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by D122y View Post

Once I quit being a drunk, I started going to the Dr. again.

It had been years. Last real check up was in the ER for a panic attack. Somehow, I made it out without being locked up for booze related analysis.

Anyway...

Now that I accept I am an addict for life I am woking to heal. I have come so so far. physically and mentally.

When i was a drunk my face and feet would swell, I had heart issues, tingling, agoraphobia etc etc.

I was speeding up my aging process.

Everything is better. I get compliments now on how I look. My relationships are all improved.

I still crave mentally, but I can defeat it because I now know all about booze and am no longer physically addicted.

I look in the mirror and smile because I see what is left of the real me and it is not terrible.
That's an amazing transformation. I hope to be there one day. You're an inspiration! I guess these things just take time as the body repairs. I am expecting things to heal quickly, but I know that isn't the case.

I am also finding it much easier to visit, and speak with the doctor. When I was a drunk I avoided the doctor because I knew any ailments I had were likely drink related. I didn't want the 3rd degree from my doc. But now I don't drink that can't happen.

I also ended up in ER for a panic attack he he. My heartbeat went nuts. I had arrhythmia for days. They hooked me up to ECG, done an echo, took bloods and released me tell me it was anxiety. There were right, it was anxiety. I was in a bad place. That was the first time I quit in september. Thank goodness I dont have that anxiety anymore.
Old 02-20-2018, 04:37 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi 16Y, I'm not sure how long it will take the edema to go away, but probably will take a little while longer to get the drainage working properly. You commented on pain in your ankle--just to note in general that your joints will be a bit more brittle than "normal" for a couple months, so anything with impact could be causing some tweaks without your normal "lube" in your system. If you want to work a bit more actively on inflamed joints and get the fluids out of the area, ****** floss bands (won't advertise the brand here but ping me if you want) have been a bit of a wonder cure for me--a great way to get some compression into the joint or muscle area while stretching.