Notices

Is there life after DUI?

Old 02-19-2018, 12:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Is there life after DUI?

How did you cope if you got one? I got two over the holidays. Just got out of jail, had a relapse now 2 days sober and struggling. Still have to go to court for the second one.
I am scared and have crawings and anxiety.
Old 02-19-2018, 12:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Is rehab an option for you? It would look good to the judge if you could show you have taken steps to stop drinking before your next court case. Or see your doc about meds to help you stop drinking... Antabuse, naltrexone and campral are the three main ones from what I can gather.
And yes, there is life after a DUI
Old 02-19-2018, 12:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by icewater1961 View Post
How did you cope if you got one? I got two over the holidays. Just got out of jail, had a relapse now 2 days sober and struggling. Still have to go to court for the second one.
I am scared and have crawings and anxiety.
That's a pretty glaring sign that you need some help with getting/staying sober. Have you looked into rehab? What steps are you taking to do something about your drinking? I've had two Dui(s),but they were about 7yrs apart,that doesn't make mine any better at all. As far as the court stuff,get a lawyer,but once the 'system' has you it's in their hands and nothing you can do about it. Obviously, you NEED to treat your drinking problem regardless of the court system,but showing some actions towards getting help for your disease/problem/whatever can't be a bad thing to show them that you're serious about working at being/staying sober.
Old 02-19-2018, 12:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Icewater,

Welcome to SR, I am glad you have found us. This site is a wonderful support, and would be a great addition to anything else you are planning for recovery.

Sounds like you are ready to quit drinking since it is impacting your life so greatly, there are many options to help you do that. If you are able to check into rehab that would be a great kickstart to your sobriety, and would also show a judge you are serious about getting sober. If you are unable to go to rehab, there is also the option of Intense Outpatient which you should be able to work around whatever your work schedule is. AA or other face to face support groups are great as well.

I have not had a DUI, but my brother has had two. He got a lawyer the second time, and probably should have the first time as well.

As hard as it is try not to obsess about what will happen in court. You can't control that. Focus on what you can control, which is getting into a program now, and remaining sober.

You can and will get through this, and have the chance to turn this page and start anew.

Looking forward to seeing you on SR. You should join the February Class of 2018 to get additional support from others who have decided to commit or recommit to sobriety this month.
Old 02-19-2018, 12:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think the best thing you can do now is to stay sober and to document your recovery as much as possible to show the court how you're doing. Rehab might be a good option for you.

I wish you well.
Old 02-19-2018, 01:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Also...please don't do what I did and use my dui/court stuff as another reason to keep drinking because I was "stressed". Looking back on that twisted logic makes me cringe now.
Old 02-19-2018, 01:29 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you

Thank you for your input. I have been on all the meds including naltrexone injections so that I could not cheat. I overrode them and stopped taking Antabuse. Been to rehab twice, after the first time I was sober for two years. But I have had serious relapses and every time ended up in ER. Now I have pretty much lost everything. I am in AA and there is a good outpatient program where I live. What you say makes sense. I feel that I am a lost cause but I truly want not to drink. Thank you for giving me hope.
Old 02-19-2018, 01:45 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you for your input. I have been on all the meds including naltrexone injections so that I could not cheat. I overrode them and stopped taking Antabuse. Been to rehab twice, after the first time I was sober for two years. But I have had serious relapses and every time ended up in ER. Now I have pretty much lost everything. I am in AA and there is a good outpatient program where I live. What you say makes sense. I feel that I am a lost cause but I truly want not to drink. Thank you for giving me hope.
I'd get into some therapy too and find out the "why?" of it all.
Old 02-19-2018, 02:09 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome icewater

D
Old 02-19-2018, 02:43 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Your far from being a lost cause. I understand what you are saying about losing everything, but you still have you. It takes some people many years to finally beat the addiction.
Sounds like you really want to quit drinking. It's probably the biggest battle of your life, but you can win. Being in AA is great and keep going but getting involved in the outpatient program is a great idea. BTW, I've known many people that have been to rehab more than twice, than things came together and now have many years of sobriety. A lost cause. Not even close. Would it be possible for you to live in a sober house? Many people leave rehab than immediately move into a sober house. Also, how involved are you in AA? Do you just go to meetings, or do you really get involved in the program? What about therapy with an addiction counselor? Surround yourself with a sober life 24/7. Above all, don't give up!! John
Old 02-19-2018, 02:48 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

PS. I also got a DUI and thought my life was over. They even put my on suicide watch while in jail. There is a great life out there for you if you really want it. Gotta do the work. John
Old 02-19-2018, 02:49 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I did a year in state prison when I was younger for selling marijuana. Came out of prison at the age of 23 and worked as a dishwasher in a restaurant. Managed to save up some money over the years working different jobs and doing side hustles. I started a business a couple years ago and now I am doing very well for myself.

I'm just one example but there are plenty of other people who were in far worse situations than myself and ended up doing very well for themselves.

You'll be fine. It'll take some time but with hard work and determination you can overcome this.
Old 02-19-2018, 03:34 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

If you still have a heartbeat and are breathing you are not a lost cause. Not to be so dramatic

There is hope. Always.

Perhaps this is just the situation you need to make this a lasting change. Maybe you need rehab and then a sober living house. Long term assistance. Even though you have been to rehab twice, it doesnt mean that you cant go again.

What were you doing during the time that you were sober for two years? Did you attend meetings? Did you have a counselor? Did you have a sober community?
Old 02-19-2018, 03:34 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DangerZone View Post
I did a year in state prison when I was younger for selling marijuana. Came out of prison at the age of 23 and worked as a dishwasher in a restaurant. Managed to save up some money over the years working different jobs and doing side hustles. I started a business a couple years ago and now I am doing very well for myself.

I'm just one example but there are plenty of other people who were in far worse situations than myself and ended up doing very well for themselves.

You'll be fine. It'll take some time but with hard work and determination you can overcome this.
I have to ask..How much pot got you a year? I understand if you don't want to say.
Old 02-19-2018, 03:38 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

another thing on this post.. I lost some big contracts with my 2nd DUI,but I'm back on track again now on the business side of things. Took me about 9 months,but 3 of those I went on a 'journey' to get sober and focus on myself. You'll build 'it' back up,OP..Just don't tear it down again.
Old 02-19-2018, 03:56 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DontRemember View Post
I have to ask..How much pot got you a year? I understand if you don't want to say.
I'll say. I'm not ashamed. I am who i am people can take it or leave it. Two-pounds. Not a lot but certainly not a gram or an 8th or an once.

It took a long time for me to get back on my feet after it happened. Being away a year then having the college degree I earned be basically useless due to the felon conviction really hurt. However, I didn't let the situation break me. I learned from it and kept fighting to get my life back on track.

I think it is very important when we get into tough situations in life we know there are two options - let it break us or learn from it and get stronger. It is always best to do the latter and that is what I did. That's what anyone who gets a DUI should do. Be it their first one, or second, or third.

Just make sure that DUI is the last one! Because the more damage we do to our lives the harder it is to get back on track.
Old 02-19-2018, 04:28 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Although the truth in this may elude you today, your DUI's can turn out to be the best thing that ever happened to you. They were (2) for me, even though I was a very visible elementary school principal in a small town.

You haven't died, you haven't killed anyone. Yet. Yes, the shame is likely palpable. Find the gift in it. Realize that there is nothing different, nothing unique in your pain. Many of us have faced far more.

Those of us who have risen have found the courage to approach our demon. We were simply tired of running and not in the mood to die.

The miracle can be yours...

Joy,

Warren S
Old 02-19-2018, 04:33 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Although the truth in this may elude you today, your DUI's can turn out to be the best thing that ever happened to you. They were (2) for me, even though I was a very visible elementary school principal in a small town.

You haven't died, you haven't killed anyone. Yet. Yes, the shame is likely palpable. Find the gift in it. Realize that there is nothing different, nothing unique in your pain. Many of us have faced far more.

Those of us who have risen have found the courage to approach our demon. We were simply tired of running and not in the mood to die.

The miracle can be yours...

Joy,

Warren S
Old 02-19-2018, 04:47 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

HEY ICEWATER, I got 2 DUI’s in a few years also and yes, it wasn’t that great as I lost my license for a year but I kept my head down and got rides to work, used the bus and just did it. This was about 15 years ago and I rarely even think about it now. One thing I can recommend is to not live in the day and see out in the future for when you’ll get your life back as this is the way around letting this get you down. Trust me when I say, you will look back someday and wonder why you wasted a lot of time worrying about something you now have no control of.

Thanks
Old 02-19-2018, 05:25 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I'll say. I'm not ashamed. I am who i am people can take it or leave it. Two-pounds. Not a lot but certainly not a gram or an 8th or an once.

It took a long time for me to get back on my feet after it happened. Being away a year then having the college degree I earned be basically useless due to the felon conviction really hurt. However, I didn't let the situation break me. I learned from it and kept fighting to get my life back on track.

I think it is very important when we get into tough situations in life we know there are two options - let it break us or learn from it and get stronger. It is always best to do the latter and that is what I did. That's what anyone who gets a DUI should do. Be it their first one, or second, or third.

Just make sure that DUI is the last one! Because the more damage we do to our lives the harder it is to get back on track.
WOW. I am really sorry that you got 1 year for that. Seriously.
Im glad that is behind you.

And to think with all this legalization going on.... Geez.