Hello

Old 02-18-2018, 09:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello

Hi All

Just a little note, to introduce myself.
My son is my addict. Life was turned upside down about 4 years ago, when I learned of his addiction to alcohol, valium, cocaine - and anything else he could get his hands on.
We had to evict him from the family home, and he ran the gauntlet of homeless units/flats. Using, then staying clean, then relapse - the merry go round of madness!
I'm in a strong position - now! I work on myself everyday, despite the fact he is clean, and appears settled at the moment. I refuse to allow myself to be dragged back to those insane times.
Hence I believe that continuing with my support, is vital to keep me strong, should the crazy times return.
Best wishes to you All
Much Love
Bute x
Old 02-19-2018, 02:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Hello Bute!

Welcome to SR

You will find parents/grandparents/stepparents here with similar stories. My addict stepson is who drove me to search for some sort of answer on the internet one night--and I found SR.

My stepson is an alcoholic, crack addict, polysubstance abuser who recently added heroin to the mix. He has been in treatment, in jail, in prison, tasered by drug dealers, wrecked cars, homeless. There does not currently seem to be any end in sight for him. SR was one place where I knew others would completely understand.

I'm happy that you are "shoring up" your recovery and support network here!

Welcome, again!
Old 02-19-2018, 10:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Seren

Thank you for the welcome.
You're absolutely right about keeping the support going. "Steeling my wool" as the saying goes :-)
Awful that we have to do that, but necessary, or we get dragged down into the madness. Been there, didn't like it, not going back.
We all have to keep on, keeping on.

Much Love
Bute x
Old 02-20-2018, 02:31 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

This particular section is a bit quieter, but we have some regulars here. Stop in any time!
Old 02-21-2018, 03:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Bute, How did your son finally get clean? Did he go to rehab?
Old 02-25-2018, 01:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hummingbird1094 View Post
Bute, How did your son finally get clean? Did he go to rehab?
Hi Hummingbird

No, he did a home detox for the alcohol misuse. He weaned himself off the valium. Engaged with addiction services (still sees addiction worker on a weekly basis).
He did this off his own back, so more power to his elbow.
I played no part, except for offering encouragement and praise. He had to do this, by himself, for himself, no one else.
Previous actions to "help" from me, failed miserably, and sent my stress levels sky high. I had to step right back, before I went over the edge into insanity!
So, for now, he's doing good :-)

Much Love
Bute x
Old 02-28-2018, 12:56 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hello Bute! I just wanted to say hi from one Mama to another. They say raising addicts aint for sissy's and that is for SURE! Keep sharing and posting as you need to. I agree that detachment is always the way to sanity for me.
Hugs
TT