Notices

First Post. Hello. My introduction.

Old 02-17-2018, 10:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First Post. Hello. My introduction.

So I've decided to take a try at being sober after a 5 year (almost 6) binge. Alcohol is my poison. Don't really care what as long as it had over 35% ABV.

I've tried AA in my country/area and it's just not going to work for me (at least this particular group). All I really went there for was to ask some questions about what to expect from my complete, no-nonsense, cold-turkey stoppage of alcohol, tobacco, and amphetamines (I'm prescribed them but I just figured "hey, why not?").

I'm pretty crude and I joke around a lot. That being said don't take much of what I say seriously and if I do offend you I certainly don't mean and BY ALL MEANS CALL ME OUT/TELL ME ABOUT IT!! No point in keeping it to yourself, this site is kind of the opposite of that (at least it seems to me). You probably won't see me around much but any answers you give to my questions are much appreciated.

Much love and many thanks.

See you around,
ShantyIrishProudinrecovery
Old 02-17-2018, 10:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome SIP!!! I’m glad you’re here. I know your post says we won’t see you around much, but I hope change your mind. This site is awesome. There is so much support, kindness, and wisdom here.
I don’t have a ton of experience to share, but here goes. I first visited this site about seven years ago. I made a handful of day one posts, but would disappear about day four. I still read and learned a lot. One valuable thing I learned was that if I ever REALLY decided to quit, I would need a plan.
January 15th of this year I was at my lowest point yet. I was sick, really sick, and I knew I had to quit. I made a plan. My plan included family (terrifying), my GP (humiliating), this site (comforting), and AA. I got lucky and found a group I loved.
I picked up a thirty day chip today.
I plan to stay sober today, I hope you’ll join me!!
Old 02-17-2018, 12:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. You'll find lots of support here.
Old 02-17-2018, 12:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey Irish,

I'm new to recovery too, even though it looks like I've been around a long time. About seven years ago I created an account knowing I probably needed to stop. Popped in for a little bit every few years since when I felt like I needed to moderate or stop drinking.

Just came back a few days ago. Glad to see you here for the first time. Hope it's not the last. Will do my best to answer any questions you have as will pretty much everyone one else here.
Old 02-17-2018, 01:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome sip, don’t let it take you 24 years to wake up like I did.
Life without booze is sooooo much better.
Good luck
Old 02-17-2018, 01:18 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome, and you will probably find the answers to your questions if you check in here sometimes.
Old 02-17-2018, 01:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Rar

Welcome SIP. I hope you check in frequently. You'll find lots of wisdom, fellowship and understanding here.
Old 02-17-2018, 03:18 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome SIPinrecovery

I think to really get the benefit of the SR community you need to drop in regularly - what have you got to lose but 30 minutes or so?

D
Old 02-17-2018, 03:55 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

gald youre here,SIP.
i hope youre not trying to minimize the stage of alcohism youre at by calling 5 years of daily drinking a binge.

binge-a short period devoted to indulging in an activity to excess, especially drinking alcohol or eating.