Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

I've found a new drink that I love! Replaced my alcohol with this ...

Notices

Old 02-16-2018, 10:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Since quitting drinking I've saved £80. I would often spend £10 a day on alcohol. Yep, I've just completed day 8.

I invested those savings into a 5kg tub of protein powder. I do a lot of strength training and since I've quit I've been going hard at it. When I was drinking I couldn't afford decent protein powder. To be honest I was slacking badly the past 12 months with exercise and now I've been sober long enough I am seeing a lot of things in life I've been missing out on.

Now I look forward to my 2 protein shakes a day. I've replaced the lust for alcohol for the excitement of having my protein shake.

AND ... I've started cooking very healthy meals instead of ordering dominos, or a take away.

I feel so high from life at the moment. Turning negatives into positives as they say.
Old 02-16-2018, 11:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome! 8 days is awesome! I was on an emotional rollercoaster for quite a while when I first got sober. I would feel fantastic for a while and then it was like the bottom fell out for maybe a few days. It is an awesome feeling when it's good but beware of the ups and downs. I have always checked in the 24 hour recovery connection thread every morning to remind me of who I am and I can't drink. Best wishes for you on your journey.
Old 02-16-2018, 11:55 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good for you! Some people hate protein shakes, I think they taste great, lol. Plus most people really need the nutrition after sobering up
Old 02-16-2018, 12:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My new drink of choice is NA beer... I know it seems like I'm torturing myself but it's actually lovely and loaded with vitamin and minerals... I could literally drink 7 or 8 pint bottles a day.. Only problem is that others who know I'm off the grog keep checking it to make sure I've not slipped... I don't mind though because I know I've not slipped...

Last edited by Dee74; 02-16-2018 at 01:35 PM. Reason: removed brand
Old 02-16-2018, 01:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Davin - I removed the brand of your NA.

I kept the post up tho cos using NA beer to replace 'real' alcohol is something that comes up here a lot and I wanted to share it was a pretty terrible idea for me.

I don't drink NA beer because it looked like beer, felt like a can of beer, it smelt like beer, it had that same condensation thing on the can like a beer, the same fizz and foam when you pop the can, tasted like beer (kinda)....

Then I'd wonder why I'd go out every time and get 'real' beer.
I was still knee deep in old behaviours, and didn't even realise it.

As a former beer drinker I know it ticks all the boxes for me, and opens the door to old behaviour and old thought patterns.

I don't recommend it.

I don't need to know but maybe ask yourself why would you choose NA beer when there's so many other things to drink, though?

Maybe I'm being over cautious on your behalf, or maybe I'm reading more into it that whats here, but it really worries me to read you reckon you 'could drink 7 or 8 pints of the stuff', cos that sounds very close to old patterns to me.

D
Old 02-16-2018, 02:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I have to admit, it sounds worrying to me too. I was also a beer drinker and on reflection, it's not the most pleasant tasting stuff.
7 or 8 pints, is a whole lot of empty calories too.
My own personal favourite since quitting is 'hot chocolate', so much so, that I have to make it with water rather than milk or I'd be enormous.
hope you're ok
Old 02-16-2018, 02:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

That’s amazing. I’d love to be like you one day!
Old 02-16-2018, 10:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I am glad you like your protein. Seems with protein you either love the flavor you got or hate it, at least that's what I notice with myself. The brand I use "upgraded" and changed the flavor and I hate it so the hunt for a new kind I can stomach goes on.
Old 02-17-2018, 03:36 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by butcher70 View Post
I am glad you like your protein. Seems with protein you either love the flavor you got or hate it, at least that's what I notice with myself. The brand I use "upgraded" and changed the flavor and I hate it so the hunt for a new kind I can stomach goes on.
You're right some taste disgusting! It's taken me years to find a good tasting one. Someone on Reddit suggested Impact Whey Protein from MyProtein. It had over 1.5k reviews so I thought I'd give it a shot. I have the smooth chocolate flavour. It's delicious with milk.

I also have 2 boxes of grenade carb killa protein bars. I try to steer clear of them unless I'm in a situation where I can't cook, or make a shake. They are also delicious.
Old 02-17-2018, 03:37 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Zanna View Post
I have to admit, it sounds worrying to me too. I was also a beer drinker and on reflection, it's not the most pleasant tasting stuff.
7 or 8 pints, is a whole lot of empty calories too.
My own personal favourite since quitting is 'hot chocolate', so much so, that I have to make it with water rather than milk or I'd be enormous.
hope you're ok
Oh yes! I love hot chocolate. I have 1 before bed at night with water too. But it is much better with milk.

What brand do you use? I used to love the Milko stuff but I can't find any around here.
Old 02-17-2018, 01:51 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks for the tip! Will give impact a try!
Old 02-17-2018, 02:36 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hi Davin - I removed the brand of your NA.

I kept the post up tho cos using NA beer to replace 'real' alcohol is something that comes up here a lot and I wanted to share it was a pretty terrible idea for me.

I don't drink NA beer because it looked like beer, felt like a can of beer, it smelt like beer, it had that same condensation thing on the can like a beer, the same fizz and foam when you pop the can, tasted like beer (kinda)....

Then I'd wonder why I'd go out every time and get 'real' beer.
I was still knee deep in old behaviours, and didn't even realise it.

As a former beer drinker I know it ticks all the boxes for me, and opens the door to old behaviour and old thought patterns.

I don't recommend it.

I don't need to know but maybe ask yourself why would you choose NA beer when there's so many other things to drink, though?

Maybe I'm being over cautious on your behalf, or maybe I'm reading more into it that whats here, but it really worries me to read you reckon you 'could drink 7 or 8 pints of the stuff', cos that sounds very close to old patterns to me.

D
Oh sorry guys... Don't get me wrong..I don't actually drink 7 or 8 pints of it every day or anything like it ... I could but don't. If I've to go out to a bar with my friends for some function is when I'll drink it like it's going out of fashion because it's something in my hand that's not alcohol. I've a six pack of it sitting in my fridge for the last month and haven't touched it. My drink of choice at home is fruit flavoured fizzy water. Now that I drink gallons of a week but again it's just to have something in my hand... I've had enough of hangovers and depression and everything else that goes with alcohol. I'm 79 days since my last drink and keeping myself busy to avoid slipping back.
Old 02-17-2018, 03:10 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

I know you don't actually drink 7 or 8 pints of it

but if you feel like you could, or want to, and you drink it at the pub with your drinking mates like real beer...thats red flag city for me.

I get everyones different but I hope you'll think on my concerns about behaviours Davin

D