Notices

On Day 9. Going to a Gastroenterologist Today

Old 02-16-2018, 06:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

On Day 9. Going to a Gastroenterologist Today

Good morning all. I'm on Day 9 of recovery and am going to see a Gastroenterologist today. Im concerned I may have ascites as my abdomen has become quite large. I gained about 40 pounds the last 4 years since I started drinking again. I think some of it is perimenopause (I am 49) but I've never carried weight in my gut and look 6 months pregnant. Most of it has happened the past year. There also seems to be a ripple effect when lying down. I had a full check up one year ago and all was fine despite my drinking for 15 years all day every day. Is it possible that Ive developed liver disease since my last checkup? I am really scared and it's going to be a long 8 hours til my appointment. Anyone go through something similar?
Old 02-16-2018, 06:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Congrats on day 9 4thegirls. Very glad to hear that you are going to see your doctor today. I'd say don't try and diagnose yourself before you get there, it's easy to scare yourself into thinking you have all sorts of things, especially if you google symptoms. A Gastro doctor should be able to definitely help you sort out what's going on and help find a solution as well. Have a good visit..don't worry, they are there to help you.
Old 02-16-2018, 06:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Glad you shared and very glad you are going to the GI. I was terrified to go but I had to; thankfully, despite the fact that I had been a raging alcoholic for too long, my LFT levels were high but I did not have cirrhosis. With complete abstinence, things normalized within a few months. BUT - what got me to quit, even before I knew the deal with my body - was my dr telling me he gave me a yr, 18 mo to live if I kept going as I was.

Best to see what's what, even though I know it's a terrifying prospect, once we know we can deal.

Best to you.
Old 02-16-2018, 09:49 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Rar

Congratulations on Day 9. You got through many nasty days. Don't scare yourself unnecessarily, though it's good you're going to the doctor. I understand your fear though. I gained 35 pounds after my shoulder surgery. I just sat around and drank. Over the months, I've lost 25 of those pounds, but my abdomen, though a little smaller, still remained large. I also feared ascites. Since I quit drinking (37 days), its gotten even smaller, though not as small as I'd like. I believe now it's just plain old run of the mill fat. I'm sure your doctor will relieve your mind. Will be thinking of you.
Old 02-16-2018, 12:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Its great you are seeing the doctor. I know it is scary. Try not to worry in advance!! Keep yourself busy and focus on the present moment as much as you can. I had so many fears about my health when I quit and all of the tests turned out ok in the end.
Best wishes to you.
Old 02-16-2018, 04:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

The body, especially the liver, is an amazing thing. Never give up and healing is possible.
Old 02-16-2018, 04:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi 4the girls

like othes have said try not to jump too far ahead or go obsessing over stuff you read on the web.

I'm confident the reality will not be as bad as you fear, but let us know how you get on

best wishes!
D
Old 02-17-2018, 08:49 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

How’s it going 4thrgirls?
Old 02-17-2018, 01:33 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Asking the same thing as above. How's it going? Thinking of you!
Old 02-17-2018, 01:51 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Despite being fairly small, I had also put on a lot of weight around my middle from drinking. I was asked more than once when I was "due". Humiliating. I was too afraid to see a Dr so early in recovery, so well done for doing that! I finally went at about 4mo sober - liver, kidneys were in good shape, and my tummy has almost totally gone! I've lost so much abdominal weight - clothes from my mid twenties are fitting me. It happened very slowly, and in spite of me living on chocolate for the first month or two, ha. I have been left amazed at what our bodies can do if we don't poison them daily.