Notices

Day 50

Old 02-16-2018, 01:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Fighter

Day 50

Good morning from a Grand-Duchy far far away,

Here I am with my first post on this forum on Day 50 of my recovery. Actually I don't know if I can celebrate Day 50 as I had one glass of port wine for my 45th birthday and one glass of port wine last week (together with 1.5 liter of water but still ...) so technically I was not totally clean ..
But on the other hand I previously had 3-4 big glasses of port wine in a bar then went home and had a bottle of wine .. every .. single .. day .. for a long long time (several years) ..
Stopped on 28Dec17 ; had a complete meltdown at work (was never drunk at work to be honest .. I was "functioning" but not working); on my way home I called the doc and came clean to her by telling her that "Yes I do have a big problem with alcohol" ... it was weird to say out loud what a lot of people already knew (and some even had the courage to tell me .. but I always told them "no way, I have a house, a job, a girlfriend, I am not a homeless drunk")
Found out that there is something called HFA (High-Functioning Alcoholic) ; maybe I am one of those or maybe this description is yet another attempt to avoid the term "drunk" ...
I hope I can get some honest feedback/tips/support on my continuous journey to sobriety ; have a great weekend!
Old 02-16-2018, 02:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Welcome Bladerunner!
High-Functioning Alcoholic is an interesting term, I think.
Alcoholics use it because we want the world the hear "High-Functioning"
Go tell your boss you're a high-functioning alcoholic, and I can guarantee s/he will not be focused on the "high-functioning" part.

Best of Luck on Your Journey!
Old 02-16-2018, 02:07 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Fighter

Thanks Nonsensical ; if I told him he would be my "former boss" pretty quickly ;-)
Old 02-16-2018, 02:43 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome BladeRunner

I agree with Nons on the HFA thing.

One thing I have to add tho - something that was fundamental for me - was accepting that there'd no more glasses of port or whatever after a meal.

My friends can do that - I can't - I'm likely to wake up in a different city 3 weeks later.

Less humorously - I'll drink til I die.

Its the first drink that gets me, not the last - don't take that first drink and you can live whatever kind of life you want

I really recommend you adopt that kind of thinking as you go forward

D
Old 02-16-2018, 04:09 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Fighter

thanks D ; in the past it has always been easier indeed not to drink at all than to drink one glass ... the drunk memory kicks in after one glass and asks for its due ...
cheers,M
Old 02-16-2018, 06:02 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome! congrats on your 50 days. I agree with posters above. I described myself as high-functioning too when I got here, but I probably wouldn't say that now. Besides, I want a life that is more than "functioning"