Notices

Trying to quit weed after 16 years

Old 02-15-2018, 07:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Trying to quit weed after 16 years

Hi,
I figured I would write my first post here. I'm not even sure what to say, this is the very first forum that I have ever posted on for help with my problem. I guess I will give some info about me. I have been smoking for 16 years pretty much nonstop, all day every day. I quit a total of 4 times during the 16 years, 2 times when I was pregnant/nursing with my kids. I quit for 5 months last year starting in March, but I relapsed (I started drinking more (tequila) and thought I could control only smoking during certain times like weekends or late in the evenings or just occasionally). After this I picked up smoking again after work and throughout the evenings. Then I quit for 2 weeks starting about 4 weeks ago. After this i began smoking again. Now I am struggling to quit again. I so desperately want to quit for good like forever for good.

I find that it helps to read about others successfully quitting and how much better my life can be. I read stories of people quitting for years and years and hope someday I can also do the same.

Also - my husband still smokes and doesn't feel the urgency and need to quit like I do, so I struggle to quit alone while he is out in the shed smoking. I feel like he would just continue to smoke every day and be fine with this for the rest of his life. I cannot keep doing this however. I have to quit without him and before him so I can have the strength and patience he needs from me to quit. He says he wants to quit but I think he is happy to keep smoking.

Anyhow I just rambled on there. Maybe someone else is going through the same thing.
Old 02-15-2018, 08:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome sleepsmiles

I quit after 30 years - it was hard but possible.I had to make some changes in my life but it was worth it

You'll find a lot of support here.

Come check out our Marijuana addiction forum as well

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ana-addiction/
D
Old 02-15-2018, 08:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I hope our support can help you quit smoking for good.
Old 02-15-2018, 09:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I had quit weed about 3-4 years ago because I was forced to quit because of mental issues it was giving me like panic attacks, anxiety and psychosis, even when i quit I still had the symptoms and now have to take medication. Its really not that hard to quit weed after you go a few days compared to quitting alcohol.
Old 02-16-2018, 07:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi! Come join us in the MJ forum, tons of support there! Alot of people have the perception pot is harmless, natural, no devastating effects outwardly (although the slow death of our souls over time). Its an insidious addiction!
Old 02-17-2018, 11:01 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by icandothis20 View Post
Hi! Come join us in the MJ forum, tons of support there! Alot of people have the perception pot is harmless, natural, no devastating effects outwardly (although the slow death of our souls over time). Its an insidious addiction!
I also feel like my soul is slowly dieing, thank you I will post under the marijuana addiction forum.
Old 02-17-2018, 11:03 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ozm8ey View Post
I had quit weed about 3-4 years ago because I was forced to quit because of mental issues it was giving me like panic attacks, anxiety and psychosis, even when i quit I still had the symptoms and now have to take medication. Its really not that hard to quit weed after you go a few days compared to quitting alcohol.
Last time I quit weed I found myself drinking tequila after work WAY more than is acceptable. I will need to figure out how to relax and decompress from the day without substances. I will need to keep this in check. Thanks for the reply!
Old 02-17-2018, 11:04 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
Welcome to the family. I hope our support can help you quit smoking for good.
Thank you least! Me too!
Old 02-17-2018, 11:06 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Welcome sleepsmiles

I quit after 30 years - it was hard but possible.I had to make some changes in my life but it was worth it

You'll find a lot of support here.

Come check out our Marijuana addiction
D
Thank you Dee, it really helps to have other people to talk to about this as my husband doesn't talk about quitting like at all. Thank you.
Old 02-17-2018, 11:08 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I quit smoking weed a few months ago.. Maybe august or sept? I was never really addicted to weed,but once I had a few months off of booze I just didn't like not being 100% clear headed.