Notices

Trying to quit alone

Old 02-15-2018, 08:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Trying to quit alone

I'm a high functioning alc, hiding vodka bottles, often drinking day or night. working, family, volunteering... Not a bad person, but very down and that's where alc came in maybe 3 yrs ago. I keep relapsing and feel weaker than the addiction. Timid to join a group of in your face humans. Computer is less scary right now.
Old 02-15-2018, 09:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome, and you will find lots of support here.

Do you have a plan in mind for how to stop drinking?

This is a list of various recovery programs and things that we did:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html
Old 02-15-2018, 09:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome Frog!! I tried for a long time to quit my secret in secret. It didn’t work. Things are easier now that I reach out for help.
You’ll love this site, the wisdom and kindness is overwhelming!! keep coming back.
Old 02-15-2018, 09:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome Frogg.

This is a great place for support. I was also (supposedly) high functioning. Now I've been sober a while I can see just how much my alcoholism impacted my life though. I hope you hang around and keep reading and posting. I also hope that at some point you decide to get some face-to-face sobriety pals. This morning I went for an impromptu coffee stop with one of my recovery besties. She's got some pretty stressful (non drink related) stuff happening for her this week and was feeling high levels of anxiety. It was great to be able to let her talk and get back to sanity, just like she's done for me countless times, with complete honesty and frankness, because we've both had similar experiences in the past and don't need to fear judgement.

Anyway. Like I say. Glad you're here. This was my first step at reaching out also.

BB
Old 02-15-2018, 09:20 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Just put down my last bottle of cheap vodka myself last week. So much wisdom on this site.

Though I must say going to meetings feels good too.

Do you have a plan?
Old 02-15-2018, 09:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Rar

Hi Froggg. I understand how you feel. I like the anonymity of the computer as well, though I see the advantage of in person meetings or conversations. SR has been my salvation and is the main part of my plan. From the posts here, I can see where in person groups would be enjoyable. Welcome to SR. It is superb. Read as much as you can and please post often.
Old 02-15-2018, 11:50 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I keep relapsing and feel weaker than the addiction.

And you are trying to get sober by yourself?

I'm a high functioning alc, hiding vodka bottles, often drinking day or night

You are fooling yourself if you think you are high functioning. It's just another form of denial.

In my opinion there is no such thing.

Alcoholism is progressive. It's like you are in an elevator going down. Just because you can't see outside, it doesn't mean that you are not moving. Eventually you will reach the bottom floor.
Old 02-15-2018, 12:07 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome Froggg. I don't do face to face meetings either, SR is my main support. I post and read here daily, it really does help with feeling less alone in your battle.
Old 02-15-2018, 12:20 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm not trying to be harsh,but I must ask. If you're a high functioning alcoholic why are you hiding bottles of vodka? I was a 'high functioning alcoholic(actually took a hit in my income with my sobriety) and didn't give a crap/hide my drinking from anyone. Family,friends,business partners,clients,ect.. I didn't hide or care to. That's just who I was take it/leave it type. I eventually became a working from home all the time and drinking all the time, as it progressed too,so..
Old 02-15-2018, 12:23 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome. I also had "high functioning" alcoholism. Even had a job as a valet that I went to several times a week and was always sober for. Things were still progressing little by little however. Actually sometimes it would progress quickly, too.

I was drinking less than ever my last year of active alcoholism---about the equivalent of 2 or 3 bottles of wine per week, which was about 1/4 of what I'd been drinking before.
So I felt like I was getting control and would stop soon. However when I did drink all hell would break loose and the last time I drank I got a DUI for the first time, almost killing some people in other vehicles. I never thought that would happen.
Believe me, it typically only gets worse.

Avoid that first drink even if you think you can stop after one. Good chance you won't, no matter how determined you are, and if you do stop it will make you feel like you can control it and be motivated to drink again.
Reaching out to people on this board is great. Some people need in person interaction but not always, so that is up to you.
Getting on this board a lot throughout the day, reading and posting, is the main way some people sober up.
Congratulations on reaching out and deciding to get help .
Old 02-15-2018, 12:37 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome, Froggg--I thought I was high-functioning until suddenly I wasn't, and it did happen very quickly. From handling high-stress customer service and playing full-time in a band to dodging the police that my friends sent round to check on me (one time crawling out a window--it really was insane) and living a totally degraded existence--it was a swift fall.
I tried to get sober on my own and found I needed help-lots of it. SR is a wonderful resource for advice, experience and information. I hope you stick around.
Old 02-15-2018, 12:38 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'd also suggest not 'going it alone'.. This is a great site and has been responsible for 80% of my yr+ of sobriety/sanity. I was court ordered to AA from my dui and that helped a lot to help me be f'n honest with myself about where I 'was' in my mind. I also hit up a few therapy sessions for good measure.. Make a solid plan and work the hell out of it. Your entire mentality will change for the better. I promise you that!
Old 02-15-2018, 01:05 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi Frogg,

Glad you hopped over to Soberrecovery. My bad jokes aside, we are glad to have another person who is suffering join us. While I personally use AA in addition to this site for my recovery program I have noticed that some folks have amazing success relying on this site alone. I wish you success whatever recovery path you choose to take.
Old 02-15-2018, 03:38 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

I'm glad others told you there's no such thing as a hi-func alcoholic" before I got here.

You are not alone. There's only one kind of alcoholic: ones addicted to alcohol. There's only one cure: stop drinking,

How you do that is up to you.
Old 02-15-2018, 04:00 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. You'll find lots of support and wisdom here.
Old 02-15-2018, 06:45 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Frogg

D
Old 02-15-2018, 06:48 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

You describe yourself almost exactly as I described myself when I got here last month. Welcome! you can make the changes you want to make. Sounds like you've been in a downward spiral for the last three years. Glad you're here and interested in sobriety!