Notices

Resisting

Old 02-14-2018, 11:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Resisting

Hi.I haven't posted in quite a while.I joined you all in 2016 and without the help and support of SR I couldn't have became sober and stayed sober.And now I am really having to struggle to resist returning to drinking to cope with several traumatic anniversaries that are fast approaching.Last year I also gave up smoking ciggarettes.Any advice on riding out all the anxiety and head full of bad memories will be appreciated.
Old 02-15-2018, 12:14 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome back jojay!

I find whatever is troubling me talking about it and posting here for support really helps.

It's a kabillion times better than drinking.

D
Old 02-15-2018, 12:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Jojay, have you considered working a recovery program? Stopping drinking is just the first step in many ways. Recovery work really helps to make sobriety comfortable and sustainable in the long term, and eventually preferable to drinking. My 12-step recovery work has meant that I've been able to look at those things I regret: ways I'd harmed people, some of my conduct in relationships and at work and other things. It's also helped me to work through anger (rage) and resentments that I'd been holding onto and drinking on for decades. It's free for anyone, and we don't need to apply in advance, or fill in forms. You could literally turn up at a meeting today.

I really do believe that the quality of my sobriety is dependent on the action I'm willing to take. I didn't want to do that step work at all. But it realky was the best thing I ever did for myself.

BB
Old 02-15-2018, 12:32 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hi and welcome back jojay!

I find whatever is troubling me talking about it and posting here for support really helps.

It's a kabillion times better than drinking.

D
Hi Dee!Hope you are well.I am just finding a few anniversaries hard,I go down this same path every few months,guilt and regrets and self doubts.Will post on here when I am stressed and finding it hard to cope,the alone thing I guess
Old 02-15-2018, 12:54 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Berrybean View Post
Jojay, have you considered working a recovery program? Stopping drinking is just the first step in many ways. Recovery work really helps to make sobriety comfortable and sustainable in the long term, and eventually preferable to drinking. My 12-step recovery work has meant that I've been able to look at those things I regret: ways I'd harmed people, some of my conduct in relationships and at work and other things. It's also helped me to work through anger (rage) and resentments that I'd been holding onto and drinking on for decades. It's free for anyone, and we don't need to apply in advance, or fill in forms. You could literally turn up at a meeting today.

I really do believe that the quality of my sobriety is dependent on the action I'm willing to take. I didn't want to do that step work at all. But it realky was the best thing I ever did for myself.

BB
Hi BB.well I cannot get to an actual AA meeting as there are not any in my area,but I have started attending a snall fellowship group at my Church and last week the subject was alcohol recovery and AA.Several of us are recovering alcoholics.We recited the Prayer of serenity.Thankyou so much for your support BB.
Old 02-15-2018, 01:03 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Ahh. There are some good recovery speaker recordings that might be useful, plus the big book and other literature can be read online from their website as well.
http://www.recoveryaudio.org

I believe there are also online meetings - that might be worth investigating.

BB
Old 02-15-2018, 01:08 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Berrybean View Post
Ahh. There are some good recovery speaker recordings that might be useful, plus the big book and other literature can be read online from their website as well.
http://www.recoveryaudio.org

I believe there are also online meetings - that might be worth investigating.

BB
Hi again BB.Yes online AA would work for me.Thankyou once again.
Old 02-15-2018, 06:29 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome back Jojay! I’m glad you are resisting and posting here. I look forward to hearing more from you
Old 02-15-2018, 06:59 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Jojay,

It sounds like you're doing well in your recovery, and coming here to post about your concerns is a really good idea.

Anniversaries can be hard, and I know I have regrets that surface and run around in my head, too. I have found that journaling can be very helpful to get the feelings out and to keep them in perspective.
Old 02-15-2018, 07:43 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Jojay View Post
Any advice on riding out all the anxiety and head full of bad memories will be appreciated.
I am sorry to hear about your struggles. My advice about riding out the bad memories is just that...ride it out. It sounds trite, but reliving the traumas of the past is an exercise in futility. You can change anything. If you live in the past, you are failing to live in the present. And from what it looks like, your present life is pretty good. You are sober, you've quit smoking. There must be a host of things you can be grateful for right now. Don't let the past rule you.
Old 02-15-2018, 10:53 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
Hi Jojay,

It sounds like you're doing well in your recovery, and coming here to post about your concerns is a really good idea.

Anniversaries can be hard, and I know I have regrets that surface and run around in my head, too. I have found that journaling can be very helpful to get the feelings out and to keep them in perspective.
Thankyou so much for your reply Anna.Will give journaling a go for sure.
Old 02-15-2018, 10:59 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
I am sorry to hear about your struggles. My advice about riding out the bad memories is just that...ride it out. It sounds trite, but reliving the traumas of the past is an exercise in futility. You can change anything. If you live in the past, you are failing to live in the present. And from what it looks like, your present life is pretty good. You are sober, you've quit smoking. There must be a host of things you can be grateful for right now. Don't let the past rule you.
Thankyou Carl,you are right,I cannot change the past.I have much to be grateful for.I just feel unworthy at times.
Old 02-15-2018, 02:16 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Feelings are not facts jojay

D