Happy Valentines Day, Ya'll!

Old 02-14-2018, 09:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Happy Valentines Day, Ya'll!

I enjoyed decorating for the holiday more than I'm actually enjoying the day. It's gray and drizzly here today - and my mood is similar!

We've got church tonight. My daughter loves going because of the youth group. Tonight starts a marriage series for my husband and me. I'm going, but not with a cheerful heart right now. I will say, though, the meal for the fellowship dinner is fried chicken with mashed potatoes and green beans, so there's that! I'm just not in the mood to get out today....this is one of those nights I'd like to just be in my pjs with some kind of casserole in the oven, watching Andy Griffith or something.

I did make my daughter's lunch cute today - used a heart-shaped cookie cutter to cut her cheese slices out and then when I was cutting her carrots for her salad, I made them heart shaped. She played it cool (teenager!), but when she reached in her lunchbox for something I saw her smile when she saw it. (which made my heart smile)

So what are ya'll doing for V-day? ...... Or is it just another day to you?
Old 02-14-2018, 09:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

Old 02-14-2018, 09:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Happy Valentines Day!

I will be attending my child's Valentine party at school, and someone brought us cupcakes at work, so that's super nice. Other than that, it's laundry night LOL. It's a necessity, and I don't really mind. My child and I went to a dinner out last night which was fun.

I am feeling much better today than I have in a while as I have been ill, so it's such a relief to feel better each day.

I hope everyone has a great day today!
Old 02-14-2018, 10:03 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I mailed a couple of USPS boxes stuffed with Valtentine love for two families who are very dear to my heart.

I have plans to drop off another one today, and pick up something fun for DS.

Making gluten-free chicken fettuccini and chocolate cake for my husband, DS and I.

Going to an ACoA meeting for myself.

Happy Valentine's Day!!!
Old 02-14-2018, 10:07 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Since everyone knows what's going on in my house right now, I'll keep it on the positive side and just say "Happy Valentine's Day" to you all - you are a blessing, one of the biggest blessings in my life.
Old 02-14-2018, 10:09 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

With Valentine's day being "of the heart" and related to the heart... to love... I'm brought to many things related to the heart chakra. Open heart meditations, affirmations and also the beautiful healing power of reiki, especially related to the heart.

When Is The Heart Chakra Opened?

When the heart is opened, you will naturally feel love and compassion for others. A balanced chakra that is opened allows people to be who they are, instead of attempting to mold them to expectations. Living from Anahata is a joyous and engaging place.

https://blog.mindvalley.com/heart-chakra/
Old 02-14-2018, 10:15 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Love that Mango!

COD...you are every bit as much of a blessing to all of us here at SR!

Many hugs going around today friends!
Old 02-14-2018, 10:22 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I bought myself a new flavor of ice cream for lunch today - it's one of my favorite ways to indulge myself & why not celebrate Self-Love today, of all days??!!??

So now I'm "In Love" with Ben & Jerry's "One Sweet World" - it's coffee-caramel ice cream with fudge pieces & gobs of caramel & marshmallow swirls. Happy Valentine's TO ME!
Old 02-14-2018, 10:25 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hopeful4 View Post
COD...you are every bit as much of a blessing to all of us here at SR!
Awww, Hopeful - that is so sweet!!!
Old 02-14-2018, 11:34 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

So sweet! Sounds like you’re making the best of it and enjoying showering your daughter with love! I wasn’t going to do anything tonight. Not by protest or anything like that. Just was going to take advantage of not having plans (or money until payday lol), maybe make a steak dinner and have some wine and read. But I have a lovely friend at work who knows what I’m going through, ask to go see 50 Shades with another colleague since her boyfriend is out of town. Not at all into that movie or seeing it but so sweet to have the company and thoughtfulness and get outside of my head a little.

Beautiful day here today. Mild and sunny with all the snow melting
Old 02-14-2018, 12:19 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Smarie,

Sounds like beautiful plans! I have strong feelings with the glorification of what I see as abuse in 50 shades (see the other thread about that, if you like)... yet...

Ironically I'm REALLY looking forward to the massively dysfunctional Peter Rabbit movie.

https://youtu.be/ahW0AP1ecxY
Old 02-14-2018, 01:01 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

There's another holiday today for Christians. Ash Wednesday was totally overshadowed by Valentines Day for me today. I just forgot...

And my day started out rough at work, it was kind of another Monday for both my boss and I. She left the office in tears, and came back an hour later and knowing that I have some faith....she said, go to this particular church - right now, just please do it.

It's not MY church - and by MY church I mean the one that I attend 2x per year...

But I did anyway - I really just wanted to get out of the office.

I walked in and they gave me a black bracelet (to wear during Lent), and a sheet of paper, and then opened the door to a semi dark room for me to enter.

There were a lot of candles lit, and a bunch of chairs in a circle with a couple of other people sitting in them with their sheets of paper.

I started reading - about the 40 days of fasting and enduring temptation that Jesus spent in the desert as chronicled in Matthew, Mark and Luke. I read the reminder that this time is about repentance, fasting and preparation for the coming of Easter, self-examination, and to observe my relationship with God. It directed me to sit quietly, reflect on these things and pray....and then to get up and light a candle for myself.

So I did all of those things, and in the span of 20 minutes, it re-centerd me, and did a complete 180 degree reversal of the way my day was going. So - for anyone with some faith that isn't LOVING Valentine's Day....there is another holiday today, with some peace and perspective to be found there.

By the sweat of your brow
you will eat your food
until you return to the ground,
since from it you were taken;
for dust you are
and to dust you will return.”
Gen 3:19
Old 02-14-2018, 01:11 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

firebolt,

Reading that gives me chills. Good, attention-getting, to-the-bone chills.

Went away... came back, read it again.... Same thing. Chills. Good chills asking for my awareness.

Especially this part:

" to observe my relationship with God. It directed me to sit quietly, reflect on these things and pray....and then to get up and light a candle for myself. "
Old 02-14-2018, 01:12 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thank You, Firebolt. Great message.
Old 02-14-2018, 07:18 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Instead of cooking and baking... went with store bought chocolates, Noodles & Co. take-out and no stress.

My husband offered to cook for us. This was easier for all of us and has an extra fun factor of chopsticks, crayons & coloring/doodle page and no dishes.

Explored three different possible locations of the new ACOA meeting... never found it. Left a note at the final location that it seems it would have been at.

Then went to Ash Wednesday at an old historic church. Sat up front and enjoyed it for the rituals and ceremony, yet after walking back from the smudging on my forehead at the front of the church... my feet lead my back out to the street and on with the evening.

Touching bases with loved ones in thought, prayer, and a few brief phone calls.

Life is good.

The pain I went through last night is still raw, yet transitioning into connecting with life on some different levels. The church service was a big reconnection to two women in my life from different periods of our culture.

Happy Valentine's Day!

Thanks to each of you for sharing it with me. It has meant ** a lot ** to me.
Old 02-16-2018, 11:35 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

My husband kept joking that he was going to take me out to Burger King or McDonalds for Valentine's Day.

Last year, we went to a really lovely restaurant last year for Valentine's Day. The service was slow, the restaurant was expensive, and the portions were small (we were kinda starving by the end of the dinner). So I got vetoed to go back there. This year, a lot of the other restaurants had set menus. So we decided to go out tonight on Friday night for a date. It was nice. I was thinking about when we were younger and we would go out to the restaurants in West Seattle and along Alki Beach. We were talking at dinner about how we will be celebrating our 11th anniversary at the beginning of March.