Notices

Anxiety

Old 02-14-2018, 08:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anxiety

How long after you quite drinking did it take for the anxiety to subside? I have been dealing with anxiety, which I have never had before, for about a year. I was prescribed zanax at a very low dose to control it. I am working through another attempt at drying out. I still get anxiety and just hate the feeling of it. For those that have dealt with it, what did you do to help it?
Old 02-14-2018, 08:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I did a lot of online research about coping techniques. The best ones were mindfulness and exercise. Good nutrition, eight hours of sleep. Then it came down to working on those thoughts I was allowing myself to have.

Then - time. Continuous sober time.

It took me almost a full year before it was gone completely.
Old 02-14-2018, 08:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Meditate.
It created 'space' around my anxiety.
If you don't know how just google 'guided meditations'. I liked Tara Brach.
It takes time to retrain a brain, but it can be done.
In the meantime, try not to overreact to anxiety.
It's unpleasant, but my reaction to it made it worse than it needed to be.

Keep going! You can do this!
Old 02-14-2018, 08:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I suffer from anxiety and work in a very high stress environment.

I've found this time, and times before, the further I get from the booze, the more manageable that pain becomes.
Old 02-14-2018, 09:05 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
J50

I had a major panic atrack in September after stopping drinking. I tapered down through November and quit on 11/14. I feel so much better but still get some lingering anxiety from time to time.

The thing that has helped me is looking at anxiety as nothing more than an uncomfortable feeling that is usually the result of forward thinking about uncontrollable events.

When it strikes, I assure myself that I am ok and safe, and take a look at where I am in the present moment, looking for things to be grateful for.

While it's good to plan for the future, part of easing the anxiety is believing either things will either be ok or you will have the strength to deal with whatever adversity that strikes at that given time. You don't have to worry about it today though.

In the meantime, live in the moment!
Old 02-14-2018, 09:09 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

TIPS FOR DEALING WITH ANXIETY (the American Assoc for Anxiety & Depression)

Take a Time-Out. Try some yoga, listen to music, meditate, get a massage or learn relaxation techniques. Stepping back from the problem can help clear your head.

Eat well-balanced meals. Do not skip any meals. Keep healthful, energy-boosting snacks on hand. Limit caffeine.

Get enough sleep/rest. Exercise daily to help you feel good and maintain your health. Use an iPod or exercise buddy to help you stick to your routine.

Take deep breaths. Inhale and exhale slowly. Belly-Breathing: Sit comfortably with shoulders, head and neck relaxed. Breath in slowly through your nose so that your stomach expands. Tighten stomach muscles, letting them fall inward as you exhale slowly through your mouth.

Do your best. Instead of aiming for perfection, which isn’t possible, be proud of however close you get.

Accept that you cannot control everything. Put your stress in perspective: Is it really as bad as you think?

Welcome humour. A good laugh goes a long way.

Maintain a positive attitude. Make an effort to replace negative thoughts with positive ones.

Get involved. Volunteer or find another way to be active in your community, which creates a support network and gives you a break from everyday stress.

Learn what triggers your anxiety. Is it work, family, school or something else you can’t identify? Write in a journal when you’re feeling stressed. Look for a pattern.

Talk to someone. Tell friends/family you’re feeling overwhelmed and let them know how they can help. Talk to a professional.

Books

Amen, Daniel Change Your Brain, Change Your Life
Bassett, Lucinda From Panic to Power
Burns, David MD When Panic Attacks
Chodron, Pema The Places that Scare You
Doidge, Norman MD The Brain that Changes Itself
Dyer, Wayne Change Your Thoughts, Change Your Life
Orsilla, Ken Mindful Way Through Anxiety
Old 02-14-2018, 09:15 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I personally found that my anxiety was something that I needed to address as a distinct and real problem, completely separate from my sobriety. Couseling, meditation/mindfulness, and general lifestyle changes have been some of the tools i have used and it's been quite successful.

It's also worth noting that progressive Detox periods can become increasingly severe - including the anxiety that goes along with it. Some call this "kindling".
Old 02-14-2018, 09:21 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Great opinions from all I might add Cognitive behavioural therapy might be worth checking out.
Old 02-14-2018, 10:23 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
totfit

Copious amounts of exercise helped me.