Notices

Sobriety in the corporate world

Old 02-13-2018, 06:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sobriety in the corporate world

A little over 3 weeks sober here. I feel good. Does anyone here work in the corporate world, and have long term sobriety?

I work in sales within the pharmaceutical space. Part of my job consists of work trips, conferences, and client lunch/dinners. All of these activities historically involved a lot of alcohol. I have been stressing out big time over a couple upcoming business trips. I want to stay sober.

Anyone else here no what I'm talking about? Im curious to hear from people who have had successful corporate careers, and being able to abstain from the constant drinking that typically comes with these types of careers.
Old 02-13-2018, 07:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Not quite in your situation, but similar. I attend a few big trade industry meetings (open bars, cocktail socials, working dinners, etc). Yeah, right now I skip a lot of that stuff, and focus on networking the actual conference, and setting hard end times on the dinners (“I want to facetime my family before they go to sleep”) before they get too boozy.
Old 02-13-2018, 07:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm not there yet but I share in your curiosity/concerns. I'm an attorney and so much of my work ends up being out of court, at events, meeting people etc. It's a tough environment to abstain as well.

Good topic, thanks for bringing it up.
Old 02-13-2018, 07:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I work in a very conservative business. My experience is that the marketplace definitely rewards sobriety.
Old 02-13-2018, 08:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Its very possible to abstain/avoid alcohol and be successful in any career. My previous career was with a technology consulting firm and both the owner and sales manager were wildly successful and also abstained from alcohol for religious reasons. Steve Jobs, Warren Buffett, Larry Ellison ( CEO of oracle ) and who knows how many other CEO's abstain.

In reality, it's mostly our addiction telling is we can't be successful without alcohol..just like it tells us we can't have fun if we don't drink. Or that we will be "bored" if we don't drink.
Old 02-13-2018, 08:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
Its very possible to abstain/avoid alcohol and be successful in any career. My previous career was with a technology consulting firm and both the owner and sales manager were wildly successful and also abstained from alcohol for religious reasons. Steve Jobs, Warren Buffett, Larry Ellison ( CEO of oracle ) and who knows how many other CEO's abstain.

In reality, it's mostly our addiction telling is we can't be successful without alcohol..just like it tells us we can't have fun if we don't drink. Or that we will be "bored" if we don't drink.
Scott, this is a great point. My industry is rampant with drinking... the hotel bars at the conferences I attend are full throughout the day.. even some exhibit booths hand out alcohol..

My brain is so out of whack, I've convinced myself alcohol is necessary to network at a lot of these events, and taking clients out to party..
Old 02-13-2018, 09:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

I worked for many years selling heavy machinery manufactured by one of the USs major companies. I got this job, much to my surprise, at about two years sober. Best job I ever had. Company car, unlimited expenses, big toys to drive, and entertaining at least four nights a week, plus sales conferences. Generally speaking, around the country, most of the sales guys poured a lot of booze down their customers necks. That was the traditional way of doing things.

I worked completely differently in that regard, and remained always in the top three salesmen in the country.

There are really two questions here.. The first is about my relationship with alcohol, and the second about whether large quantities of alcohol are essential for good business.

On the first point, I am AA recovered. I took all 12 steps and the drink problem was removed. That put me in the position where I can go anywhere and do anthing that free men can do. Alcohol no longer has any influence. I have no desire to drink, and its presence does not control where I go or what I do. I have been placed in a position of neutrality, safe and protected, just as was promised. Likewise other people drinking has no effect on me. Total freedom from alcohol.

The second is a tactical thing. I realised two things. Most of the corporate people and business owners I dealt with had partners at home who were generally not enjoying their other half coming home drunk, not to mention being left out of things. The second thing was that the partner at home often had quite a big say in who the customer dealt with.

So I made a point of always inviting the other half, and going to a restaurant, not a bar. If it was the wife I always got them flowers. In that setting, the whole thing was much more productive. The customer would be moderate in their drinking, we could talk in a constructive way, and no one came home drunk.

The result was pretty spectacular. Usually the customer's partner would not let them buy off anyone else. The competition kept delivering drunks, and I kept getting the orders.

One other thing I noticed on the odd occasion I took a customer to a bar fr a predinner drink. When they noticed I wasn't drinking, they became uncomfortable and didn't want to drink either. Then they had trouble relaxing. I would almost have to twist their arm to get them to have a drink and not modify their behaviour on my account.

For sales conferences and such I was always in much demand as the sober driver when we went out to see the sights.
Hope that helps.
Old 02-13-2018, 11:05 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

Originally Posted by Gottalife View Post
The second is a tactical thing. I realised two things. Most of the corporate people and business owners I dealt with had partners at home who were generally not enjoying their other half coming home drunk, not to mention being left out of things. The second thing was that the partner at home often had quite a big say in who the customer dealt with.

So I made a point of always inviting the other half, and going to a restaurant, not a bar. If it was the wife I always got them flowers. In that setting, the whole thing was much more productive. The customer would be moderate in their drinking, we could talk in a constructive way, and no one came home drunk.

The result was pretty spectacular. Usually the customer's partner would not let them buy off anyone else. The competition kept delivering drunks, and I kept getting the orders.
Brilliant. I'm stealing this strategy.
Old 02-14-2018, 05:15 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I work in an industry where a LOT of people drink very heavily. People sometimes start doing shots around 3 on holidays or on Fridays. I work for a very large institution and there are several other sober women here - who I have gravitated to. Above all, I just know alcohol is not for me. And, maybe it is petty but these girls are around my age and I look at them drinking and smoking weed every night and think "Thank God I am not wasting my life like that anymore." Plus, heavy drinkers tend to look sickly. I am addicted to my health and newfound glow since getting sober. It takes time, but develop a game plan for yourself. Find some other sober folks (they are out there, I assure you) to chat with/use as a support network. Don't go to work functions that are not absolutely necessary. I skip the crazy booze fest work functions and attend the smaller holiday luncheons and gatherings. Find what works for you -- it is trial and error. Congrats on your sobriety - it is the best gift you can ever give yourself. Guard it with your life!
Old 02-14-2018, 07:18 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi Good Life 32,
I work in the corporate world and you're right it's not easy but it is possible. I work in the Finance/Accounting world for a big healthcare company so there probably aren't as many social functions as you may see in Sales. One thing that i have learned is that i have to put my sobriety at the top of the pile when working through recovery. If i lose my sobriety most likely everything else (ie job, relationships and security) will follow. I know it can be tricky but if i don't have my recovery i don't have anything. It sounds like you're pretty new to sobriety so if it were me i would avoid any social gatherings with alcohol (if possible). Once you get a few months under your belt then it would be wise. I was told early on that it's wise to only attend social events early on if you only really have a good reason to be there. Hope that helps!
Garrison