I Challenge You To... 100 Happy Days. Can you do it?

Old 02-13-2018, 10:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I Challenge You To... 100 Happy Days. Can you do it?

For anyone that's been around for a while, this isn't new. For everyone else, here's the basic history from when we started these threads years ago:

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...one-tried.html (100 Happy Days - anyone tried it?)

Originally Posted by FireSprite View Post
I don't even remember how I found this info - it started with one google search that morphed & morphed with each click further from my original search phrase, so I have *no clue*.

But it's intriguing to me because it's as about approaching happiness from the simple side - just noticing something each day & taking a pic of that "thing" to share. A moment of gratitude captured visually.

This social program has it's own site at 100happydays challenge | Can you be happy 100 days in a row? .

Here's a news story that outlines how it originated etc:

#100happydays: The story behind the social phenomenon - News - TODAY.com

It appeals to me because it sounds like an easy way to "retrain" my brain to see things positively..... it sounds like for many, while it starts out as a bit of work to remember to notice happiness around you, eventually you notice a perspective shift & start to naturally incline yourself toward the positive more easily.

And I think it will be really cool to look back through 100 pics in a slideshow at the end & remember all the ways those little things brought happiness into my world in some way. I think it would make a great addition to my recovery work at this point.

I'm not interested in officially joining the site or posting my biz for the world to see (esp any pics of DD or my family, etc.) but I like the idea of being accountable to a photo-journal of sorts.
In the end, it was easier for us at SR to journal it all here to share our experiences and skip the pics or anything that would compromise our anonymity. We've had many generations of threads related to this topic but few people every REALLY hang for the full 100 days.... and I'm telling you - it matters. It takes time & repeated patterns to do all the synaptical rewiring needed to create lasting change.

A lot of people have had great experiences with this exercise in positive thinking & it literally takes NO effort.... the whole idea is to get used to seeing how positivity already does impact your life in ways that go unnoticed - once you raise your awareness to it, you'll start seeing it everywhere. (When I changed the way I looked at things, the things I looked at changed...)

Any takers?
Old 02-13-2018, 10:18 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Day #1 - I've never been so early getting my taxes finished AND submitted. This makes me very, very happy.... I tend to hold off until the very, very last week & stress the entire time until it's filed.

Big Item Off The List!
Old 02-13-2018, 10:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hmmm . . . I'm a depressive so this would be a great thing to do. I also like the idea of starting this on Shrove Tuesday; a certain synchronicity here.
Old 02-13-2018, 10:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bekindalways View Post
Hmmm . . . I'm a depressive so this would be a great thing to do. I also like the idea of starting this on Shrove Tuesday; a certain synchronicity here.
I hadn't considered the timing of it like that - it works!
Old 02-13-2018, 10:42 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Day #1: This may be TMI, but today I splurged on something that claims to be an underwire-free bralette that is actually supportive for us, er, larger-chested women. It's from Italy and the site wouldn't even accept my $50 American Express gift card and I don't EVEN care! (Fingers crossed it does what it says it will!)
Old 02-13-2018, 10:52 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

FireSprite

If by chance you run a thread entitled "100 Happy Seconds - Can You Do It?"

I'm all in

Thanks
Old 02-13-2018, 10:55 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by HardLessons View Post
FireSprite

If by chance you run a thread entitled "100 Happy Seconds - Can You Do It?"

I'm all in

Thanks
What do have to lose by trying HL?

Sincerely, none of us has the time or energy but we ALL want better, right? Can you think of a simpler way to start than a literal moment per day?
Old 02-13-2018, 11:07 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Day#1 – I am happy today that I finally posted some items for sale on one of the FB garage sales sites!
Old 02-13-2018, 11:19 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

FireSprite

I honestly love the concept of your thread. I totally respect & admire your enthusiasm.

"we ALL want better, right? Can you think of a simpler way to start than a literal moment per day? "

Yes you are right

Thanks
Old 02-13-2018, 11:21 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Today I am happy to be feeling a little better, I have had a bug for a while now, and it got ugly. I am also happy to be going with friends to dinner tonight, it will be fun!
Old 02-13-2018, 12:26 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

My anxiety has been up a little bit today, but I'm happy that I have the tools and resources to work through it.

I am also happy that I have found an amazing warrior lawyer, and with that my overall anxiety about this divorce process has gone WAY down.
Old 02-13-2018, 12:29 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

FireSprite

I honestly love the concept of your thread. I totally respect & admire your enthusiasm.

"we ALL want better, right? Can you think of a simpler way to start than a literal moment per day? "

Yes you are right

Thanks

So, what's Your Happy today HL?
Old 02-13-2018, 12:56 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

Today I am happy for my delicious cup of morning coffee!
Old 02-13-2018, 01:14 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
under new management

We have a lot of snow right now, and today I am grateful that I have a relatively easy commute to work.

Old 02-13-2018, 01:15 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

TrailMix

The past month or so has been a bit rough for me. So I am having difficulty finding happiness.

I haven't felt what I would describe as happy about anything today. Don't get me wrong, I am very grateful for a lot of things - just not happy.

Something I found comfort in today was reading all the various wisdom found here on SR. Never ceases to amaze me.

I will follow this thread & be more mindful to find happiness. BTW I do understand, my lack of happiness is my own fault.
Old 02-13-2018, 01:18 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

HL....let's think about just one thing you can do to create a happy moment in your life! We are here for you friend!
Old 02-13-2018, 01:19 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Today I am happy that my genius 6 month plan to re-org our company was received well And it puts me in the COO spot, takes my too many hats problem off my plate, puts me me in a position to better utilize my strengths, and gets someone in better suited, and that can better manage my main current position than I. Double Yay!

something that claims to be an underwire-free bralette that is actually supportive for us, er, larger-chested women.
The struggle is real - you may have to post if it really does all it claims!!!
Old 02-13-2018, 01:20 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Clean house.
Old 02-13-2018, 02:51 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

TrailMix

The past month or so has been a bit rough for me. So I am having difficulty finding happiness.

I haven't felt what I would describe as happy about anything today. Don't get me wrong, I am very grateful for a lot of things - just not happy.

Something I found comfort in today was reading all the various wisdom found here on SR. Never ceases to amaze me.

I will follow this thread & be more mindful to find happiness. BTW I do understand, my lack of happiness is my own fault.
Hi HL, I'm a chronic depressive and you may be experiencing some acute depression . . . . that kind of thing is definitely not your fault.

Lots of good folks here and we try to support and egg each other on but if you are in a grieving place right now that is okay too.

Tich Naht Hahn (Vietnamese monk) suggested enjoying not having a tooth ache. I can't really do that as I have good teeth but I've been blessed/cursed with several crappy encounters with men and I am single. I enjoy the heck out of these men not being in my life. I hold these guys in loving kindness and also gratitude that they aren't around. This might be a bit weird but it works for me.

Happiness today walked over to the Memory Center to visit with my Mom: gorgeous weather, made my Mom smile and laugh, her whole face lights up even though her alzheimer's is way advanced.
Old 02-13-2018, 04:46 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Two things
Yesterday, I joined a lovely gym in a 5* hotel at knockdown rates, it has sauna, steam room, swimming pool and gym. Time to exercise off all the stress.

I am currently in the spare room and planned on moving my old diaries from my bedside table in our bedroom to my current room. I left them on the bed as I wandered off to do something else. My RAH found them, thought I had left them out for him to read ( I didn't know) and this morning I received a phonecall full of remorse and a heartfelt sorry. I think he really meant it as he is working step 4. Something to be positive about, though now I have to ensure I am not so forgetful with my private stuff.