Notices

Day 70 and bored

Old 02-13-2018, 06:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 70 and bored

Today marks my 70th day AF with the help of 1/4 tab of Antabuse daily. Due to feeling ill I stopped taking meds over a week ago. Tonight my family- siblings, spouses, nieces- are meeting at Irish Pub for dinner. This is what we do to catch up and visit with each other. I may have a drink or two. I’ve been a bit down in dumps(that happens to me when I don’t feel well?)
I’m feeling very bored with being AF. I feel alcohol is woven into the very fabric of my life. My family, my friends get together for happy hours, at the pub. Everyone drinks. When I am being abstinent I’m trying to search for another way to live and I end up refraining from social events as much as possible. I feel bored because all social
activities in my life have
Involved alcohol. I know if I drink tonight Iwill be very disappointed with myself and if I don’t drink I feel removed from everyone. Hopefully God will order my day and control my thinking. 💕
Old 02-13-2018, 07:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Wilma13 View Post
I know if I drink tonight Iwill be very disappointed with myself and if I don’t drink I feel removed from everyone.
If you fear you'll drink, take a full dose of the Antabuse. As for feeling removed from everyone....that's on you. Not drinking removes you from alcohol. It doesn't remove you from engaging with your family. You just feel you need alcohol to do so. You don't.
Old 02-13-2018, 07:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome back Wilma and congrats on day 70.

Being bored is a state of mind - it really has nothing to do with whether you are drinking alcohol or not. There are a myriad of things to "do" that don't involve alcohol as well. And the idea that "Everone Drinks" is just a lie that your addiction would like you to believe. In reality, most people drink sparingly or not at all.

Have you considered seeking help for your addiction in any way other than taking Anatbuse? It is not a cure for alcoholism in any shape or fashion, it's designed to be used in conjunction with a recovery plan of some kind. You mention that you "searching for a another way to live" - I think a recovery community could absolutely help you find that. Prayer is important to many, and I'm glad you seek help there - but please remember that you have to make choices as well, don't wait for recovery to just "happen".
Old 02-13-2018, 08:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Wilma, what are you doing for your recovery other than not drinking (supported by taking antabuse).

Recovery is about learning to LIVE sober, not just being sober and looking wistfully at our old lives.

BB
Old 02-13-2018, 04:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I was bored sober because I was trying to live my old drinking life sober, and drinking was the only thing that made that life tolerable.

Sitting on the couch channel surfing was fine for me when I was drinking, but sober it just doesn't cut it.

Find new hobbies new interests new friends.

Think about what you want your life to be like and go for it Wilma
Old 02-13-2018, 07:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you for your helpful comments. I know Ineed a recoverygroup , I know I have to make changes in how I live my life - new interests, hobbies etc. I’m just having a hard time finding those answers. I also see a psych for therapy..
I didn’t drink tonight. 3 of the people( big drinkers) didn’t show so the evening was easier for me to deal with. I believe my prayers were answered. Tomorrow will be another sober day. Wishing you all strength as well. Thanks for being there for me today.
Old 02-14-2018, 06:36 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I just hope you can find a way to fill in your days without drinking . I learned that when I was bored it was always because of negative thinking so I worked on changing how I think about things and MADE myself get off my arse and do something constructive even if it was to clear out a load of old clothes or fix that wobbly table leg .
Don't get me wrong I still have a habit of saying i,m bored then I blame the weather ,my retirement ,the rubbish TV . Then I came to understand boredom is a behavior and so is activity so I need to make a choice and if I chose to be active I feel less depressed ,less anxious and in turn this makes me much less likely to think about drinking .
In my opinion its all about choice and I chose to get moving and not to mope and feel sorry for myself .