Notices

Help

Old 02-11-2018, 07:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Help

This is my first time posting to a forum. I am in the depths of a hangover depression and I just need someone to hear me. I've been a bartender for 20 years, I started drinking to cope with the high stress environment I'm in. When im not at work, i try to avoid even being around alcohol. But as soon as I walk in the door to work, I'm filled with dread of brutal beating my body and soul are about to take, and I reach for the whiskey. I don't know what to do. I want to quit, but at 40, this is pretty much all I've ever done.
Old 02-11-2018, 07:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Kaahl! Welcome to the site. There are lots of great and supportive people here who can offer advice and experience. Personally, I think it could be really exciting to make a career change or go back to school or pursue a new passion in your life. It sounds like you're too good for that job
Old 02-11-2018, 07:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Kaahl; very glad you found us.

You will find an abundance of support, encouragement and understanding here.

I am sorry to hear that your work environment is so stressful; it sounds like a very unhealthy situation for you.
Old 02-11-2018, 07:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. Even tho it's more difficult, you can work in a bar and not drink. If you want to be sober more than you want to drink. In the meantime, why not go back to school or get training for a different career.
Old 02-11-2018, 07:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Reality...what a concept!

Welcome! With your job it will be difficult, but not impossible; met a bartender in AA who is nearly 20 years sober. But if your job is causing enough stress to drink over it then maybe its time for a new job - bartender or otherwise. Any trigger to drink is a sign we need to change something in our plan...perhaps for you it's a new career?
Old 02-11-2018, 08:18 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Kaahl

I quit at 40 after 20 years drinking and from the perspective of 10 years sober I can tell you it's definitely not too late.

I wasn't a bartender but I was a musician and drinking at the bar became a huge part of things for me. I actually lost my career over many poor drunken performances.

But...I got back into music after a couple of years. Now I'm there for the music - it's my job.

I know alcohol and I have a toxic relationship. I leave it alone.

D
Old 02-12-2018, 10:22 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome. 40 years old seems so darn young to me. You can do this. I know it will be hard, but you CAN do this.
Old 02-12-2018, 08:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

How are you, Kaahl?

Thinking of you.
Old 02-13-2018, 04:19 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

hows it goign Kaahl?

D