Notices

New here drink way to much

Old 02-11-2018, 06:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New here drink way to much

Hello all I’m 23 I came across this forum googling about ways to be sober I started drinking around the time I was 18 just high school party’s and what have you but it has progressed to the point where once I get off work I come home and drink a literal fifth of whiskey or vodka a night my father suffered from alcoholism I honestly don’t know where to start I live alone and my mother seen all of my empty liquor bottles laying around my house and I’m just looking for any kind of advice at all sorry for the long read
Old 02-11-2018, 06:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Rscott,

Knowing is half the battle.

I didn't have the internet when I was drinking like a fish so I just kept on drinking well into my 40s.

The problem is at your young age, physically you probably can drink for a decade or two before the physical issues manifest. By that time you will be heavily addicted, have physical degeneration or worse, and have deep brain damage (e.g. like me).

So, young folks have to quit without those motivational pieces. Basically, quitting on faith that one will be better in the end.

Booze is so highly addictive and offers such a release, when one is young it is a tough nut to crack. Especially, because the hangovers are not that bad...yet.

They get worse and worse and worse and worse.

The science is all about dopamine and endorphin production. Drinking booze alters this and we need booze to feel happy.

It takes years to relearn how to be happy without booze...the whole time...relapse lurks.

It boils down to suffering. Can a person make it through the suffering while the body normalizes.

Stay clean.

Thanks.
Old 02-11-2018, 06:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi R! Welcome! It's great that you are so young, you know you have a problem, and you're aware that alcoholism is in your family. No need to waste years ruining your life. I wish I had made the decision you're making right now when I was 23, that's all I can say So impressed, and glad you are here!
Old 02-11-2018, 07:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
J50

I started drinking when I was 21. I'm almost 42 now. While alcohol hasn't completely destroyed my life, there were many regrettable moments along the way. I wish I could go back and talk to my 21 year old self. You will greatly be ahead of the game if you get out of it now.

BTW, D122y's post is spot on!
Old 02-11-2018, 08:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Rscott,
I'm new to this site too. I quit drinking (way too much) 43 days ago. I was a binge drinker on the weekend with a family of my own, etc. My mother was an alcoholic, but has since recovered. I'm just taking "one day at a time." No, I haven't been to an AA meeting, I just remember seeing my mother's AA literature when I was in high school.

You can do this! You are younger and smarter than I am. See if you can find another outlet than alcohol. Go out with a friend, but avoid the bars, they suck away your money and can suck away your life.

I decided to get sober for a New Years resolution which normally never works for me, but this year, this time IT WILL! You can make it happen! You just need to channel your inner strength. At your age, it's hard to realize how short life is, but it truly is short. We need to cherish every day.

Be good to yourself, but NOT WITH ALCOHOL. With patience, compassion and consideration. Good luck, you got this!
Old 02-11-2018, 08:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome RScott

SR really helped me turn my life around - I know we can help you too.
It all starts with a day one of no drinking.

Tons of support here.
D
Old 02-12-2018, 04:46 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

In case you are afraid that without alcohol, your young life will be empty and devoid of fun social activities like you see on reality TV programming, let me assure you of one thing: you won't be missing anything. Nothing. Wish someone had told me that.
Old 02-12-2018, 08:04 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! As a younger person myself (26). In my opinion, the sooner you get sober the better. There are alot of wise people here on SR who have been around the block- and when they told me it would get worse - I believed them. Because I also knew deep down that was true. Choose not to think of it as a punishment that you cant drink, and make it more about a choice that you are making. At 23, you have your entire life ahead of you, and I sure hope you chose to make it a sober one Rooting for you!
Old 02-12-2018, 08:26 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome. I'm pleased you found us and are wanting to turn things around before they get much worse.

Why not look up the AA meetings in your area. I know my city has a specific Young People's meeting once a week, as well as welcoming folk of ALL ages into the rooms for standard meetings. We have a few younger folk have been coming to my home group who've managed to stay sober for almost 6 months now. One has managed to pick up in her studies where she left off a few years ago. The other has hit herself a job and her own rented apartment. The young men in the rooms are doing great as well from what i can tell, although I'm now aware of their personal circumstances other than theyre sober and pretty sane, and looking good on it.

BB