Notices

Need help on what to do

Old 02-11-2018, 02:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Need help on what to do

About six months ago, I had to let go of a friend because of her drinking. I made it clear that I was still there for her should she need me and when she was ready to give up drinking.

She recently reached out to me to get together. I’d found out through her partner that she had not had a drink in a month, and that she had a new therapist who had given her “new medication.”

She had recently reached out to hang out but I feel as though it’s going to be a repeat of the past. No amends, no acknowledgment of the past and an avoidance to discuss it. While I certainly don’t want to rehash ugly events, I do feel that just meeting and pretending as if nothing ever happened is going to lead nowhere, as it has in the past. She is definitely not in any program, which makes me believe that this isn’t about making amends. In fact, her email doesn’t event hint at it.

The question is this: how do I respond? Do I meet her? Or do I simply say, Right now, focus on your sobriety. I don’t want her to think I want nothing to do with her but I don’t want to meet her if this is just about pretending nothing has ever happened.
Old 02-11-2018, 02:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by FrancoJim View Post
I made it clear that I was still there for her should she need me and when she was ready to give up drinking.
You said you'd be there for her if she gave up drinking. She has. Now you are adding conditions to the meeting, i.e., amends or discussions about the past and what happened.

If you are going to change the conditions, you need to tell her what your expectations are.
Old 02-11-2018, 02:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Carl's right. If the only thing you are interested in is the amends, then don't meet up with her. If you want to do what you said and be there for her, then go.
Old 02-11-2018, 03:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Agree with the others.

Also - what does your program say about this sort of situation? (I am assuming that you are working one, and have some amount of sobriety?)
Old 02-11-2018, 03:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
Carl's right. If the only thing you are interested in is the amends, then don't meet up with her. If you want to do what you said and be there for her, then go.
Ultimately, my interest is in her sobriety. I don’t care about amends or reliving the past. I’d like to see her working some sort of program, but it sounds like she isn’t doing that. But I certainly get your point: I need to be clear about that.
Old 02-11-2018, 03:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post
Agree with the others.

Also - what does your program say about this sort of situation? (I am assuming that you are working one, and have some amount of sobriety?)
No program, which is why I’m asking this forum. I don’t drink (never really have), but have read about AA (my father drank) and know about Step 9. My friend isn’t in the program, however.