OT---But, not really

Old 02-11-2018, 08:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

OT---But, not really

I can't help but wondering if anyone else has noticed that a topic that frequently comes up on this forum, is featured prominently in the news, recently.....abusive realtionships....
Old 02-11-2018, 09:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I guess those of us who are dysfunctional enough to get involved with and stay with alcoholics are of the right mindset to accept other forms of abuse also...

I see my boss treat his wife really shamefully in front of myself or other employees at times. She is visibly embarrassed but makes the best of it. She often will "cry on my shoulder", sometimes literally, and there is so much I'd like to tell her but don't feel it's appropriate in a work situation. This is compounded by the fact that I'm certain she'd trot out my name in a fight w/her hub, saying "hp said thus and so." Awkward. Uncomfortable.

Recently she made the (somewhat inappropriate, I felt) revelation to me that she is going to a therapist. I hope it helps her.

ETA: I don't believe there is alcohol or other substance abuse involved, just an imbalance of financial power and an unwillingness on both sides to take a hard look at their situation, both as regards work and as regards their personal life.
Old 02-11-2018, 09:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Do some abusive people become alcoholics? Or, do some alcoholics become abusive? Abusive people don't always show it before you're married. It's only after that they show their side.

It's not our place to fix them. It's our job to know ourselves well enough to know what brings us inner happiness and to act on said boundaries. The moment they happen.

So, if you noticed sexual abuse or emotional abuse in the workplace, it isn't appropriate to say something? That's why the cycle continues in the churches, in the schools in movie sets. So many know but don't speak.
Old 02-11-2018, 09:37 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

hearthealth....I think that two or more "conditions" can exist at the same time....
I do think that there can be overlap between the two that you mention....just in empirical observation....
Old 02-11-2018, 09:57 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hearthealth View Post
So, if you noticed sexual abuse or emotional abuse in the workplace, it isn't appropriate to say something? That's why the cycle continues in the churches, in the schools in movie sets. So many know but don't speak.
hh, I don't know if this is directed specifically at me, but if it is: I would (and have) talked to co-workers on this topic. However, I do NOT feel it is appropriate for me to do so w/the boss's wife, for the reason I mentioned. I do NOT care to be caught in the middle if and/or when this "airing of dirty laundry" becomes an issue.

I agree that the silence needs to be broken, but I also feel that it is up to each individual to decide if and when.