Notices

Newcomer

Old 02-11-2018, 05:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Newcomer

Hi everyone! I'm trying this site out because I think it's very convenient and Interesting. I am coming up on three years. Struggling still with my character defects from time to time. Have to say quite painful, but when I am making progress and having better outcomes it's very worth the work!
Old 02-11-2018, 05:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
nmd

Welcome! Still struggling is normal I think. I've found that getting sober got rid of many of my self inflicted problems but life was still there, imperfect as ever.

Contimuing to grow and learn is the key I think, and a lifeline endeavour!
Old 02-11-2018, 05:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing your experience on SR and I guess it’s always a case of progress not perfection. As long as we reflect on and actively change what we aren’t happy with about ourselves then that undoubtedly is what it’s all about and will keep us moving forwards.
Old 02-11-2018, 06:20 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome soberlight. Congrats on almost 3 years!!
Old 02-11-2018, 06:30 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome, Soberlight and congratulations on 3 years of recovery!
Old 02-11-2018, 06:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you to everyone! I have been dealing with a little workplace bullying in a healthcare setting. I didn't respond well but not to badly to get into trouble. I at least have some tools on how to respond better next time. And can anyone tell me more about wearing life like a loose garment?
Old 02-11-2018, 07:02 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!

Congratulations on the sober time!
Old 02-11-2018, 02:10 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

ok, i had to look up the "loose garment" reference as i don't recall ever hearing it before.

here's the full quote:

“Wear the world as a loose garment, which touches us in a few places and there lightly.” – St. Francis of Assisi

i think of caftans or long robes that sort of swirl and flow AROUND us, but are not constrictive or firmly attached to us. meaning that we are not constricted nor too firmly attached to the garment. we also have not molded the garment in our image, tight fitting and snug. there is SPACE between ourselves and the world.
Old 02-11-2018, 02:14 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Great to meet you, soberlight. 3 yrs. is wonderful.
Old 02-11-2018, 05:03 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome soberlight

D
Old 02-11-2018, 06:32 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Soberlight! Congrats on three years. What did you do to get three years sober? So impressive
Old 02-11-2018, 06:39 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Also Francis of Assisi is most remembered for his imitation of the life of Christ; he is famous for his poverty and sympathy with the poor. He was born into a wealthy family but was disinherited by his father for his religious views. So I think quote is also about minimizing one's investment in the material world. The garment in this case would be a metaphor for worldly desires, luxury, etc. Let it hang on you as lightly as possible.
Old 02-11-2018, 06:53 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. Three years is great! How did you do it? Your experience may help someone who is struggling.
Old 02-11-2018, 10:13 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

So far I have been going to meetings. I have been working steps. If I let too many mornings slip away without reading healthy step material or meditation for the day and praying sincerely, I will become self centered and the self centered fear and everything else that comes with it will invade my waking hours through my thoughts and behavior giving me all kinds of crap to make amends for!!! I am trying these days to wake up and take time for my higher power. I will usually say the third step prayer. I joined here to get more involved, since the last time I seemed to be getting too involved (full speed ahead) with other projects and forgetting that I need to spend quality time with myself or helping another. Even then when I am actively working the program well, life will side swipe me but I don't usually act as harshly as I would have if not spending the time meditating and reading and helping.
Old 02-11-2018, 10:16 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by nmd View Post
Welcome! Still struggling is normal I think. I've found that getting sober got rid of many of my self inflicted problems but life was still there, imperfect as ever.

Contimuing to grow and learn is the key I think, and a lifeline endeavour!
Yes true
Old 02-11-2018, 10:17 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ProfessorD View Post
Also Francis of Assisi is most remembered for his imitation of the life of Christ; he is famous for his poverty and sympathy with the poor. He was born into a wealthy family but was disinherited by his father for his religious views. So I think quote is also about minimizing one's investment in the material world. The garment in this case would be a metaphor for worldly desires, luxury, etc. Let it hang on you as lightly as possible.
Wow thanks
Old 02-11-2018, 10:17 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AnvilheadII View Post
ok, i had to look up the "loose garment" reference as i don't recall ever hearing it before.

here's the full quote:

“Wear the world as a loose garment, which touches us in a few places and there lightly.” – St. Francis of Assisi

i think of caftans or long robes that sort of swirl and flow AROUND us, but are not constrictive or firmly attached to us. meaning that we are not constricted nor too firmly attached to the garment. we also have not molded the garment in our image, tight fitting and snug. there is SPACE between ourselves and the world.
Very interesting
Old 02-12-2018, 06:10 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Welcome, SoberLight! SR is a great place for advice, support and help.
3 years is awesome--I have 25 months and this place is a great resource with people who really understand; it's been a huge help in my getting and staying sober.
Your experience will be most helpful to others; I am glad you are here.
Old 02-12-2018, 07:41 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Verdantia View Post
Welcome, SoberLight! SR is a great place for advice, support and help.
3 years is awesome--I have 25 months and this place is a great resource with people who really understand; it's been a huge help in my getting and staying sober.
Your experience will be most helpful to others; I am glad you are here.
Thank you! 25 months, great job!!
Old 02-12-2018, 08:28 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Welcome, SoberLight.

Congratulations on your sobriety.