Notices

Is recovery possible?

Old 02-10-2018, 05:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Is recovery possible?

My son has struggled with anxiety and depression for at least 6 years if not 7. I have tried getting him counseling, therapy, medication. He went a few times and took some meds but never continued. Lied to the doctors as well. He is 23 now and he is still battling. I forgot to mention mix in alcohol and weed as well.
The alcohol is the worst and it has now ruined his longterm relationship. He doesn't know yet but she is leaving. I know this will be a major blow to him and honestly I do see him trying to kill himself over this. He is just not well. I am praying that he will finally go for treatment. My question is the mental health treatment facility I found said they keep them for 2 weeks and if they are good are released with a social worker. If the patient agrees they can be transferred to an outpatient place as well which offers a sober living.
I have heard of so many stories where people go to rehab and then come out only to go back in again and again.
Is there ever any success stories?
Will 2 weeks of therapy be what he needs to get his brain back? Such a smart young man and so very driven but not driven to help himself.
Old 02-10-2018, 07:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

With mental health and alcoholism, you can't force them into anything, they have to make that decision for themselves.
Does he live with you? If so, you have some leverage to give him a kick in the rear to get treatment or find another place to stay.
Old 02-11-2018, 02:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

no he doesn't live with me- he lives 1700 miles away with his gf who is planning on leaving him. She told us we need to be there when she leaves because he will not be well at all. That is an understatement to say the least. She is taking 2 or their 4 pets which he adores.
I understand she is exhausted and wants out. He suffers from anxiety and depression and weed and alcohol use. Constantly worried. Takes advantage of her. Is controlling and manipulative. I understand her wanting out. I don't know when is the best time to tell him. I know he will act out, scream, call her constantly and lash out at her parents.
I don't know what to do. Do we call an notify the authorities before this transpires? I know he will be angry and devastated. I feel he will try to kill himself. He has refused all of my attempts to go for inpatient. He tried counseling so many times but only goes a few times and never takes the medication.
I don't know what to do all I know is this is not going to be good.