Notices

Inner peace

Old 02-10-2018, 08:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Inner peace

This isn’t something that you can buy or get through external commodities. It’s something that ultimately comes from within one’s self.

Getting recovered for me is about getting inner peace. That is why I’m grateful to be an alcoholic. Without being an alcoholic and going into recovery and getting recovered from alcoholism then I would have never been aware or even contemplated the word serenity.

Once I experienced serenity as a consequence of recovery and the spiritual awakening that it led to then it is the state of mind I love the most. To be at peace is all I can ask and it’s where I am at my most grateful.

Grateful to be sober, grateful to be an alcoholic
Old 02-10-2018, 08:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Very interesting perspective. I keep in mind something I read that has stuck with me forever.
"You cannot know the light without first experiencing the darkness"
Experience is our greatest teacher.
Congrats on your sobriety and your journey. Well done.
Old 02-10-2018, 08:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You really cant beat that peaceful feeling
I now have the Eagles 'Peaceful, easy feeling' going through my head, but totally 100% agree with you x
Old 02-10-2018, 08:22 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

That’s definitely one way to look at it!
Old 02-10-2018, 09:19 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Peace, sweet peace.
Old 02-10-2018, 09:47 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
J50

Great post. For me, I drank to ease my anxiety and deal with the stress of my job and life. I used to joke that when I drank I was in my "happy place." Nothing could be further from the truth. The initial euphoric feelings after the first couple glasses of wine were quickly erased by regret and anger at myself after I drank the bottle (after I said I would only have one or two), waking up feeling like garbage, and then repeating the process. I'm only on day 87 but I'm in a much better place, and definitely have more inner peace.
Old 02-10-2018, 10:20 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by J50 View Post
Great post. For me, I drank to ease my anxiety and deal with the stress of my job and life. I used to joke that when I drank I was in my "happy place." Nothing could be further from the truth. The initial euphoric feelings after the first couple glasses of wine were quickly erased by regret and anger at myself after I drank the bottle (after I said I would only have one or two), waking up feeling like garbage, and then repeating the process. I'm only on day 87 but I'm in a much better place, and definitely have more inner peace.
Absolutely. Keep going and keep moving forwards in your recovery and it continues to get better. Yes the irony of the “happy place” is not lost on me either; I was anything but happy when I was drinking save for a brief moment of euphoria and blocking out the myriad of things I was unhappy with. The addictive pull once I started drinking was horrible and took over my mind.
Old 02-10-2018, 11:16 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Definately experiencing this more despite being very early in recovery. Took the dogs for a long walk today. Something that wouldnt have happened if i had been drinking. Cant put in to words the calm and inner peace i felt. Quite extraordinary. Feel very blessed and at ease. Wonderul.