Notices

Never thought I would be excited to go

Old 02-09-2018, 01:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Never thought I would be excited to go

I spent so many years of my life lying to psychologists and psychiatrists, always going to appease my family but always making sure that the appointment would end with the conclusion that "there was nothing wrong with me" and off on my merry way I would go. Everyone in my family knew I was lying to the doctor, but the doctor said I was fine so that was that.

Fast forward to now, I love my doctors. I have actually created a team of a substance abuse counselor (once a week), a psychiatrist (once every 3 months), and a psychologist (2 times a month). I have finally started telling the truth and I have FINALLY allowed myself to get a true diagnosis which is that I have Bipolar Type 2, generalized anxiety disorder, and medicine/treatment resistant depression. (to be thorough I got 3 different opinions and received the same diagnosis each time).

As I am sitting here about to get ready to go to my appointment, I am thinking about how far I have come from before I started to cooperate with my doctors and now. I know that it can be scary to walk into a doctor's office and talk about all the good, bad, and the nitty gritty but it is so worth it. There is a stigma on mental health.. on the daunting label of "mentally ill" but it is worth it to break through that stigma and truly give yourself the chance to be healthy both psychically AND mentally.

I would also like to make the comment that "fake it until you make it" "keep smiling until you are as happy as you seem" and "you don't need medication you just need to change your mindset" PLEASE PLEASE PLEEAASSSEEEEE do not take those comments to heart. PLEASE know they are not true and that they in no way shape or form will help you achieve a happy healthy life.

Off to my appointment I go! just wanted to reflect a little bit.

Dani
Old 02-10-2018, 06:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Totally understand your reflection and I appreciate you sharing it! Recovery gave me a deep appreciation for mental health care professionals, I don't know that I would have made it this far without a wellness provider and prescriber who took my best interests to heart and truly listened to me.