Notices

Still waking hung over

Old 02-08-2018, 10:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Still waking hung over

Here I am again.. a little over a month with no booze and still waking horribly guilt ridden and feeling hung over.
I know this will end. And the anxiety.
I try to stay busy. Hate this grey winter weather. I don't care how cold it is just give me some sunshine.
I'm really doing pretty good not drinking... my friends are all Boilermakers and all hard drinkers. I'm ok being around them just don't hang with them like I used to as they drive me crazy when they start getting loud and stupid... sorry guys.
The crazy nightmares and the awful mornings are still the biggest issue... and of course gaining weight!! Holy Hannah!! Comfort foods are far too comforting lol.
Hope the rest of you newbies are coming to grips with this new way of living. Thanks for all the responses from when I first joined. It did help.
Old 02-08-2018, 11:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
J50

It will get better with time. You got this!
Old 02-08-2018, 12:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Boilermaker. Eating too much sugar can give hang-overish type symptoms in the mornings. As Howard Jones sings ..Things can only get better..unless you take up drinking again of course, then they can get worse haha. I hate grey winter weather too. I have one of those lamps that give you the sun ray stuff (sorry if I'm getting too technical). I found, especially when the grey days are unrelenting it helps a lot. Good luck to you
Old 02-08-2018, 12:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mandypandy View Post
Hi Boilermaker. Eating too much sugar can give hang-overish type symptoms in the mornings. As Howard Jones sings ..Things can only get better..unless you take up drinking again of course, then they can get worse haha. I hate grey winter weather too. I have one of those lamps that give you the sun ray stuff (sorry if I'm getting too technical). I found, especially when the grey days are unrelenting it helps a lot. Good luck to you
I definitely feel hungover after eating pizza or a Mac Donalds...its a very odd feeling but obviously my body does not appreciate having to process the junk!!!! 🍕🍔🍟
Old 02-08-2018, 02:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm way up North, mostly gray days, too cold to go for walks. And snow!!!

I have treatment resistant depression and anxiety. Drinking made them way worse. I did quit for a few weeks, drank for 3, quit again then had a Mickey on 31st. So I'm on Day 8.

But I digress I too wake up anxious but always have.

I will try the light therapy, they're not expensive and it's just half hour a day.

Maybe watch what you eat, more H2O and see Dr. for possible Anxiety Disorder??
Old 02-08-2018, 02:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Exercise truly saved me during the first 9 months. I too live in the North and I know how hard it is to workout in this type of weather. Have you thought about joining a gym? At least you won't have to feel so guilty about eating to help with the cravings. Switching life up helps!

Hang in there...it will get easier the longer you stay sober.
Old 02-09-2018, 12:11 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TYG2 View Post

I will try the light therapy, they're not expensive and it's just half hour a day.
Yes, give the light therapy a try. I was diagnosed with that SAD years ago, I find it really makes a difference, I just read while I'm sitting in front of mine. It gives me a real boost.
Old 02-09-2018, 12:19 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Boil,

I worked out as hard as I could stand when i quit.

Working out was part of why I quit.

The adrenaline etc helped.

No rx drugs here.

The mental health issues from booze are real. I believe folks get to the point where the damage is too deep... pulling out is too hard.

Meds or relapse is their only option.

Imo...We only get so many chances to quit before we start to go mad from the brain damage.

I am way better now. I push myself hard enough in the gym that all I want to do is get home, eat, and go to bed.,

Now that I am this clean, I can feel more. I trust my mind and body more.

I am more human.

Thanks.
Old 02-09-2018, 12:27 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Boilermaker, well done on a month. That's a great achievement. I agree about the sun, the winter here in Scotland is long, too. I recently noticed that it was lighter in the morning when I walk to work so the planet must be headed back towards the sun! Not long now and we'll see the new leaves on the trees and the birds and insects will return. I am around 100 days sober and I've never done any exercise as I find it's the last thing I want to do. I know it's good for me and I know that I feel good after it (I have run marathons in the past) but I can't be bothered. I even have a treadmill lin my house! I just need to get back into it. I control my weight simply by closely watching my carb intake (no bread, rice, pasta, etc.).
Old 02-09-2018, 07:07 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I live in Minnesota - lots of gray days. My doctor suggested Vitamin D and Magnesium (this especially since excessive alcohol consumption pulls a lot of your system apparently). Difference is often night and day when I don't religiously take them.
Old 02-09-2018, 04:42 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

I second the exercise suggestion if you can manage it Boliermaker.

Doesn't have to be punishing either IMO - even a little light exercise 10-20 mins daily can make a difference to me - I ride a stationary bike

congrats on your sober time

D
Old 02-12-2018, 10:56 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by nova84 View Post
I definitely feel hungover after eating pizza or a Mac Donalds...its a very odd feeling but obviously my body does not appreciate having to process the junk!!!! 🍕🍔🍟
Ya. I don't do the junk thing. Never was a sugar junkie either. I'm into a lot LOT of veggies and meat. And potatos.. and pasta. LOVE pasta lol. I know that is natural sugars and I know a lot of that can get back at me. I try not to over do on anything but eating is a way of coping. Time to get walking once the weather gets more better