Notices

My rollercoaster ride

Old 02-08-2018, 05:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My rollercoaster ride

Hi everyone, I'm new here. I've had alcohol abuse problems for most of my adult life, and I've tried to fix them many times - usually by attempting to moderate or quit for a certain amount of time just to prove to myself that I can do it. I also have a prescription for Antabuse, which helps me get through big chunks of time without drinking. But that little voice in my head always pops back in and says "why don't you try it again? You'll be OK. You just went a whole month! See, you're not an addict!" Well, I just came off a four-day bender, telling work I was sick with the crud. In the meantime, I'm behind on all my projects, my house is filthy, I'm behind in school, and now I feel awful and super stressed (on top of the hangover). Geez, this has just got to stop. I might go to a SmartRecovery meeting this weekend. I used to go to them, but it's been many years....
Old 02-08-2018, 05:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I tried for a lot of years and then found this site and signing in , reading and posting every day, really helped me. I know it can help you too
Old 02-08-2018, 05:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome. Sounds like we have had a similar week. I just got sat down by my boss and told I'm not pulling my weight - this after a bender where I too lied to work about where I was.

There is much wisdom here. So many people willing to help. As you might notice, I've been here on and off for years. Back on again hoping to stay.

Keep posting and reading.
Old 02-08-2018, 08:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome 4ever.
I never seemed to get past 2 weeks until I came here. I managed 23 days on my first attempt and then drank. What is making the difference this time ? I made a recovery plan, came on here everyday, read up on everything to do with alcoholism and ate regularly.
It is sticking this time round , I will soon be on 6 months.
I know that voice tells you, you can drink normally now but it lies.
Don't listen to it and shut it down.
Old 02-09-2018, 05:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Culture View Post
Welcome 4ever.
What is making the difference this time ? I made a recovery plan, came on here everyday, read up on everything to do with alcoholism and ate regularly.
Thank you, Culture, and this is exactly what's missing for me - a recovery plan and a support system (which could very well be this site). Just bouncing back and forth with Antabuse may be keeping me from drinking every day, but it's certainly not addressing the abusive behavior. :-(
Old 02-09-2018, 04:44 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome 4eversobervegan
I agree about the support and the action plan.

Here's some ideas on the latter
https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...y-plans-5.html (Psst...wanna know why I'm always recommending recovery plans?)

D