Notices

Acne Flare-ups

Old 02-07-2018, 07:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Acne Flare-ups

Anyone else get bad acne flare-ups when you quit drinking? I think part of it was because I was eating really bad there for a couple weeks, but I thought my skin would clear up. Instead, it is getting worse.

This happen to anyone else? If so, how long does this last??
Old 02-07-2018, 07:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yes I did, I figured it was part of the toxins leaving my body. I am on day 23now and my skin is SO much better. I think in my case staying really well hydrated has also been a contributing factor.
Old 02-07-2018, 08:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm at just over 8 weeks sober and I've got a minor Mt. Vesuvius on my forehead. I'm 45, I've never had bad skin in my life, and now suddenly it's like Puberty: The Revenge.

Somebody said the skin crap is all the toxins working their way out of our systems. Makes sense, so I guess we just grin and bear it and stay hydrated.

I've got to laugh at it though. And I'd rather have a few zits than spend one more moment regretting my stupid decisions while drinking.
Old 02-07-2018, 10:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Booze suppresses testosterone and amplifies estrogen. Now that you are clean, welcome to healthy hormones !
Old 02-08-2018, 04:54 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Forward12 View Post
Booze suppresses testosterone and amplifies estrogen. Now that you are clean, welcome to healthy hormones !
This...and the skin transitioning from being chronically dehydrated to being a bit maladjusted. The skin has several layers and for some you might have to wait for all of them to be regenerated (about 2 months) before it looks healthy again. Of course, it will look much better than it did when you were drinking.
Old 02-08-2018, 02:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yes, yes. I decided to research the medical ( legit) sites and the culprit was Vitamin supplements. Apparently for some people they change the bacterial type normally existing on USUALLY the face. Weird or what. But to be sure ask your Dr.

I HATE zits and I'm in my 50's as well.
Old 04-02-2018, 01:38 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JackD89 View Post
Anyone else get bad acne flare-ups when you quit drinking? I think part of it was because I was eating really bad there for a couple weeks, but I thought my skin would clear up. Instead, it is getting worse.

This happen to anyone else? If so, how long does this last??
Are you taking Antabuse?
Old 04-02-2018, 11:14 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

For me its the opisite. I get zits and redness when i do drink but when i quit for a few days the redness disappears and i get less zits