Notices

Challenging evening yesterday

Old 02-07-2018, 05:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Rar

Challenging evening yesterday

So yesterday I went to the podiatrist for pain on each of my big toes. I've been experiencing this pain for about 4 years, but the pain has become unmanageable. I have arthritis in my feet and a big bunion. One of my toe joints is 'bone on bone'. Anyway, I learned that I will need surgery on both feet, one foot at a time. I had a cortisone shot in one toe and the pain has lessened, so I'm hoping it lasts awhile.

I was so discouraged last night and feeling sorry for myself. Last January I had surgery for a torn rotator cuff and was unable to do any of my normal activities, Even walking was painful. I sat on my porch and drank and drank, gaining 30+ lbs as a result. In September I had just started playing golf, swimming and riding my bicycle. Now I'm facing two more surgeries and two recovery situations.

I beat the AV down last night and felt pretty good when I went to bed. However, I'm still pretty discouraged and don't know how I will handle these surgeries, probably scheduled for late spring. I will have more sobriety days then, so I hope I'm stronger. Husband doesn't understand how I feel, explaining the practical approach that these surgeries are necessary for my quality of life. I get that, but I'm still sad and discouraged.
Old 02-07-2018, 05:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Rar View Post
So yesterday I went to the podiatrist for pain on each of my big toes. I've been experiencing this pain for about 4 years, but the pain has become unmanageable. I have arthritis in my feet and a big bunion. One of my toe joints is 'bone on bone'. Anyway, I learned that I will need surgery on both feet, one foot at a time. I had a cortisone shot in one toe and the pain has lessened, so I'm hoping it lasts awhile.

I was so discouraged last night and feeling sorry for myself. Last January I had surgery for a torn rotator cuff and was unable to do any of my normal activities, Even walking was painful. I sat on my porch and drank and drank, gaining 30+ lbs as a result. In September I had just started playing golf, swimming and riding my bicycle. Now I'm facing two more surgeries and two recovery situations.

I beat the AV down last night and felt pretty good when I went to bed. However, I'm still pretty discouraged and don't know how I will handle these surgeries, probably scheduled for late spring. I will have more sobriety days then, so I hope I'm stronger. Husband doesn't understand how I feel, explaining the practical approach that these surgeries are necessary for my quality of life. I get that, but I'm still sad and discouraged.
Hi Rar. Would you be able to go swimming?
Old 02-07-2018, 05:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Rar

Originally Posted by soberista View Post
Hi Rar. Would you be able to go swimming?
I hope so, but I know I will be in a boot for some weeks. I have an another appointment in 3 weeks, so will ask more questions. I have a different problem on each foot.
Old 02-07-2018, 05:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Hi Rar, I can sympathise. My dear mother gave me AA, arthritis and alcoholism. My Arthritis is relatively mild at the moment and anti inflammatories take care of it when it becomes an issue.

I have had my share of lifes low spots, and the God of my understanding has always got me through. I worked the steps and continue to practice the principles in a modest way and drinking has never come up as an option.

One of the key things is the AA programs emphasis on living life one day at a time. I find I can handle today OK with a bit of help from my Friend, and I leave tomorrow up to Him. So far it has always worked out OK.
Old 02-07-2018, 05:46 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Aw, Rar! That sounds so tough. I completely understand how these health issues will mess with your sobriety. It must be overwhelming to think about those surgeries, and the prospect of being partially or completely sedentary in the meantime will seem like a perfect excuse for your AV. Maybe you can focus on your mental health right now? Try out meditation or another form of relaxation/leisure you enjoy? If you can, try to focus on the big picture. I think your husband is right that these procedures will contribute to your long term health. In a short time, you will be all fixed up AND sober. That will be amazing It would be a shame to drink now and interfere with that progress.
Old 02-07-2018, 05:53 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry Rar, but I'm glad that surgery can help bring improvement.

Alcohol is one of the worst contributing factors towards arthritis so use that to swat that AV away.

D
Old 02-07-2018, 06:04 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
under new management

I am sorry to read what you are dealing with, Rar

I have an enormous bunion on one foot that has been causing me a lot of grief for the past year. I have had physio treatment for it in the past but it is back to pain, limping and not being able to fit my foot into my shoes

It is totally understandable and okay to feel down about your upcoming surgery. Really, it would be almost weird if you didn't have these feelings.

For me, it has been about acceptance. I have been quite distressed about my foot and what the options will end up being, but I find that the more I can just accept what is happening, the easier it is for me to deal with.

Kind of like my drinking, once I was able to fully accept that I can never drink again, the less weighed down I felt and the quicker I moved forward into sobriety.

I feel for your situation, Rar. Please don't drink over it.
Old 02-07-2018, 06:05 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Rar
I have posted with you a few times before and could clearly hear that you were not happy with drinking you were ashamed when sitting with beer on the porch.

I am.really glad that you are making the steps required for sobriety, as I am sure that you are.

Drinking is off of the table now!
What went before is not where we are at now!

Dee,s post highlighted alcohol,ethanol vs athritus.

Now is a good time to plan and even list the things that you can do and will be able to do
Old 02-07-2018, 06:14 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Sorry fat fingers submitted before finishing post.

Swim, sauna, jacuzzi, healthy food choices, cooking some from fresh, upper body exercises.
Courses, books hobbies just be inventive.

There are so many things the important thing is that we choose to do, rather that allow boredom an opportunity to get a hold.
Keep.posting 😎
Old 02-07-2018, 01:21 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Rar

Thanks Everyone for your advice and support. I will have to take one day at a time and try not to project myself too much into the future. I will try to focus on the positive in that (hopefully) ultimately I will be pain free in my toes. I do have to remember to ask the doctor what the success rate is in these surgeries. The good thing is that I will be able to do activities with my arms and hands. Last year with my shoulder surgery, my right arm was in a sling for 7 weeks. It was months before I had normal use of my right arm. At least now with this surgery, I will have some more options since I now have my upper body.

You are right Dusti - alcohol is off the table.

2ndhandrose: I feel your pain regarding your bunion. Years ago, I pretty much knew it would get worse and the treatment options seem to all point to painful surgery. Incidentally, the doctor said bunions can grow back. UGH! I hope you find a resolution for your feet.

Thanks again Folks.
Old 02-07-2018, 01:54 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

(((((Rar)))). Surgeries are never fun. I understand your discouragement.

Bunion surgery, I think, has come a long way. You will recover, dear one, from the surgeries - maybe not the case from drinking. Alcohol is our worst enemy.

Stay close and know how much we care about you.
Old 02-07-2018, 02:01 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks Everyone for your advice and support. I will have to take one day at a time and try not to project myself too much into the future. I will try to focus on the positive in that (hopefully) ultimately I will be pain free in my toes. I do have to remember to ask the doctor what the success rate is in these surgeries. The good thing is that I will be able to do activities with my arms and hands. Last year with my shoulder surgery, my right arm was in a sling for 7 weeks. It was months before I had normal use of my right arm. At least now with this surgery, I will have some more options since I now have my upper body.

You are right Dusti - alcohol is off the table.

2ndhandrose: I feel your pain regarding your bunion. Years ago, I pretty much knew it would get worse and the treatment options seem to all point to painful surgery. Incidentally, the doctor said bunions can grow back. UGH! I hope you find a resolution for your feet.

Thanks again Folks.
When I first read your post I mistakenly thought that you sat on your porch and drank last night. After reading it again I was very happy to hear that you rode out the waves and stayed sober.

I too am having a tough evening - the 5pm rumblings where if I only could just have some vodka, my anxiety and self-loathing might finally fade.

But I, like you, will ride the evening out. Thank you for some inspiration - as tough as the surgery road ahead might be, one evening at a time and you will make it through.

Old 02-07-2018, 02:05 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Tough day Rar but you’re going to come back healthier from this, which will make it worth the wait🙂

I didn’t know alcohol was bad for arthritis. Makes sense though really.

On a practical level, I’d be looking to do a lot of upper body stuff for fitness. Yeah, whatever works and try to enjoy/get better at that. Indoor rowing maybe? That’s proper hard.
Old 02-07-2018, 04:45 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

I won't quote the whole article cos its not geared to alcoholics, but

Arthritis and Alcohol: A Bad Mix
By Andrea Neblett

Last year the headlines were buzzing about a study that showed alcohol reduces the risk of developing rheumatoid arthritis. That’s great news for people with genes that predispose them to the condition, and those who don’t have it. But it does little for you if you’re already living with arthritis.

Drinking alcohol has some of the same symptoms and risks as arthritis. It also has serious side effects of its own. When you routinely drink cocktails or beers, you’re adding to the toll arthritis takes on your body —plus you put yourself at risk for other conditions such as cirrhosis of the liver. Here are nine reasons why mixing alcohol with arthritis is a bad idea:

Alcohol interferes with the effectiveness of some arthritis medications, making your pain worse.

Rheumatoid arthritis is an inflammatory condition. According to the Annals of Epidemiology, chronic excessive alcohol increases inflammation in your body.

Medications are essential for you to cope with osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis. But, taking lots of drugs can damage your liver. Excessive alcohol inflames the liver and affects how it functions.

Too many drinks put you at risk for hypertension, heart disease and stroke. Rheumatoid arthritis is also a risk factor for cardiovascular disease and stroke, according to the American College of Rheumatology.

Alcohol causes weight gain. Yet, health professionals often recommend shedding pounds to help improve rheumatoid arthritis and osteoarthritis.

Alcohol flushes vital nutrients from your body, such as the mineral, magnesium, and vitamin B1 or thiamine. Both are essential to muscle function, which is already compromised when you have arthritis.

Also B1 deficiency can affect nerve function and cause walking problems and weakness in your hands and legs.

Alcohol is dehydrating, which makes your muscles tighter or stiffer; arthritis has a similar effect.

Arthritis can result in bone loss and deterioration. Alcohol thins your bones, making them more prone to damage.

Both alcohol and arthritis disrupt sleep.

Furthermore, women are twice as likely to be affected by rheumatoid arthritis — and they are more susceptible to the effects of alcohol. This makes drinking alcohol even riskier for women with arthritis.

from https://www.qualityhealth.com/arthri...lcohol-bad-mix
Old 02-07-2018, 05:05 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Rar

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I won't quote the whole article cos its not geared to alcoholics, but
OMG!!! I'm glad I quit. My mother developed rheumatoid arthritis at age 40. She was basically a non-drinker, having maybe 1 drink per year on New Years. Thanks VERY much for this article, Dee.