Notices

In and out of sobriety

Old 02-06-2018, 09:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

In and out of sobriety

Hi,

Im 30/male and first got sober at age 26. Since then its been on and off periods of sobriety and its exhausting. After I hit bottom, I went to treatment and got back on my feet and currently have a good paying job and my own place.

The problem is now that I recently began to drink again and although I somehow manage to not be as reckless before, I wish everyday that I could stop.

My triggers are boredom and loneliness. I'm a very friendly, smart, and talkative person. However, my work schedule and other factors make it difficult to set time aside to engage in activities that would allow me to meet new people.

Im a very good painter and an educated journalist ... And these hobbies help me to cope, but its friendship and people that really make me truly happy.

This problem of feeling isolated has plagued me for years. Despite the social nature of my job, I still feel alone.

I'm seeking any advice or simply any words of encouragement. As a man, its hard to admit to loneliness, even to your close friends
Old 02-06-2018, 10:18 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey I'm rooting for you ...
Right behind you here
Caralara ❤️
Old 02-06-2018, 10:19 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Hi Tilt! Welcome to SoberRecovery!

I hope you find the connections you are seeking on this forum, or at least get pointed in the right direction. I personally found AA meetings to be a cure for both loneliness and alcoholism. Whatever you choose, it works if you work it!
Old 02-06-2018, 10:30 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I've spent a good time at AA. It hasn't been helpful. But at rehab, I really felt like I belonged. There aren't many people around my age at the MANY different AA meetings I've participated in.
Old 02-06-2018, 10:33 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Welcome to SR. Hope joining can get you on the path of sobriety.

Originally Posted by Tilt35 View Post
My triggers are boredom and loneliness.
Drinking isn't an activity, and it's not making you less lonely. So as a solution to boredom and loneliness, it's not very effective, is it?

Sobriety is learning to cope with life without alcohol. Coping doesn't have to mean accepting your boredom and loneliness (though it could). It means doing something about it.

Boredom and loneliness are not insurmountable issues. But it will take effort. But drinking is easier, isn't it? Don't take the path of least resistance.
Old 02-06-2018, 10:44 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tilt35 View Post
I've spent a good time at AA. It hasn't been helpful. But at rehab, I really felt like I belonged. There aren't many people around my age at the MANY different AA meetings I've participated in.
You can try looking for specific meetings for people around your age. They call them the "Gen X" meetings at least around here.
Old 02-06-2018, 01:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Well if AA isn't the thing, have you looked into Meetups? Pretty much all kinds of groups for everything you can think of. If you workout there is also Phoenix Multisport...don't know where you are but if it doesn't exist I'm confident there is some kind of active/sober/workout group out there.

There's a thing here in the US called Tuesday Paint Night. So a warning: they are often held in bars, but they are also held at coffee places. If my backward, little city has it, then I'll assume most places do. I rarely mention this cause I don't want someone to go to a venue that serves booze and relapse. Anyway, its super fun and social....especially when people aren't drinking. The boozy ones are actually loud and irritating. Who knew? Drinking people are loud and irritating