Don't be offended, I am just wondering......

Old 02-05-2018, 01:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Don't be offended, I am just wondering......

I myself have a full time job. I am able to be on this site lots because I do lots of holding on the phone, and have many blips between assignments so to speak. I have been feeling overwhelmed in my life lately, and realize I don't always make room for other important things, journaling, prayer, etc.

I do these things, just not as much as I would like. So, how do you all carve out your time. Some have jobs, some homeschool, have other commitments. How do you have the time you have to be here, at SR, and fulfill all of the other things you are committed to?? I am completely not being smart and I hope I have not offended anyone by asking, I am just curious how other people manage their time as I don't feel I do the best job at this.

Thanks in advance!
Old 02-05-2018, 02:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I have periods I am not here at all due to life getting busy and then I come back when it's calmer. I spend most time on here in the evening when my son's are in their rooms. I tend to read, got to Netflix, watch a bit and flip back to decide if I am going to reply to posts I see or read replies others have posted. Am ill at the moment tho so many things I'd normally do are on hold.

When I am better I will be quilting all my half done projects and painting pictures for our new home so I'll probably disappear for a while.
Old 02-05-2018, 02:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Not offended at all.

I have a full-time job, and I work on multiple projects for multiple people in the course of my day. My method is I take everything on my desk as far as I can take it, then pass it to the next person. I work quickly, so I have periodic downtime while I wait for other people to get back to me. That's when I go on SR.

Of course, on days where there is no downtime, I shut down all non-essential internet function. That happens a couple days a week. I tend to make up for it in the evenings and catch up then (reading mostly, less posting). Unless I'm rehearsing a show, and then I'm just on here less.
Old 02-05-2018, 02:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I work on my own most of the time (can usually work from home or coffee shop at least a few days a week) and I'm a chronic multitasker. I've usually got 5-10 windows open on my laptop and am switching back and forth between them every few minutes. My work style would drive many people nuts, but it gets the job done for me.

I tend to take short but frequent breaks from work - i.e. I'm "working" usually 10-12 hrs/days with no lunch break, but within that time frame I'm checking SR for ten minutes, sorting laundry for seven, the New York Times for five ...

Right now, I think SR and genealogy websites are my most frequent non-work go-tos.
Old 02-05-2018, 02:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sparkle, my job is like that somewhat as well. It's just interesting to me how people manage their time. It's not a criticism, I think I am going through some growth maybe? Looking for more? A better way to divide my time.

I have a coworker that is causing me to be anxious. She is a pretty negative person, and I have found that SR helps me in that regard. I hope and pray that I am paying forward some of that I learned here. Helping others get through the tough times as much as all of you lovelies have helped me.

However, I think I need to find more things I can do in short spurts as well.
Hmmmm...I don't even know if I make sense to myself, so I imagine this sounds like some hot mess to you guys LOL.

Thank you for your input!
Old 02-05-2018, 02:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Honeypig!

Take a guess?

Pray... and follow!

It has changed up ABSOLUTELY everything on how I do things in the past few years.

Life is fluid. It changes daily, and now how I respond changes with each instance.

Pray.. and follow.

Prayer has become more of a walking meditation... a close friend of mine simply puts it as "talking with God" throughout the day.

It wasn't even me thinking I wanted to do this... simply hearing about it, being open to it and asking God for guidance.

Gratitude, good feelings and emotions, asking God for eyes to see and ears to hear His guidance in my life... and the "next step" becomes clear. If it's not clear, it's not time for me to do something.... or maybe a different direction to take. More gratitude, fun, good feels... more asking for guidance... and things tend to work out SO MUCH BETTER than I ever could have planned.
Old 02-05-2018, 04:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I tend to post early in the morning before work as I get up before it is light out most days. That's when the bulk of my reading / posting is done.
I also do some in the evening when I get home if I feel like being on the computer.

I will sometimes read a bit but never post during work as I don't tend to have
time for that during the workday.

I am at least reading on SR nearly every day even though at times I will go long periods without posting much.
Sometimes I just need to step back and recharge, but this is a very important connection for me.
Old 02-05-2018, 05:34 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I work from home and I'm not tied to a desk for 8 hours. When I need a break or support, I am lucky enough to be able to just pop on over here. I also might be doing a contract or work at 9 or 10:00 at night. I'm all over the place!
Old 02-05-2018, 05:44 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

When I go to the Today's Hope App I will come to SR. Sometimes I will read TH multiple times during the day if its especially timely. Usually, I only have a few minutes to read SR or write a response in between tasks of the day. My children, work, household, projects always comes first.
Old 02-05-2018, 07:39 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I work full time, plus about 6 months ago I started a side biz of selling on ebay. This consumes a lot of my down time that I had spent on SR. I do always come back to regroup.

I had huge issues with axh last week but got through them. It still hurts the heart when I have contact, but time does heal wounds. I am contemplating moving cross country to be near dd23. In time the decision will be made for me and I will follow through. But I miss SR when I haven't been on for a while. I have come to care about the peeps on this sight, as we all have struggled so!! But we are all survivors and that's all that counts!!
Old 02-06-2018, 06:12 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
"O you must wear your rue with difference".

I usually read and post when I get up in the morning, before I get out of bed; and when I'm about to sleep at night. It bookends my day. I often also take breaks from SR... or I just read and click on the "thanks" button.
Old 02-06-2018, 06:51 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I have the benefit of being able to come on SR periodically throughout the day from work. I try not to come on in the evening or on the weekends so that I can focus on family and friends. Often after looking at a computer screen all day long, my eyes need a break from it, another reason I limit my time here.
Old 02-06-2018, 07:29 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Not even close to offensive - I have double monitors at work with multiple windows open all day long. My day ebbs & flows depending on the phone call volume, etc but I'm on the computer for a solid 7 hours most days.

I tend to break from posting over the weekends & pop in on my phone just to read here & there. That's for my own sanity too - sometimes you just have to Live & stop Analyzing every living moment.

By the time I'm home in the evenings after my long commute, it's easy to prioritize my self-care because I'm too tired for much else most weekdays, lol. I also schedule that stuff ON MY CALENDAR, in between all the other commitments like DD's events, therapy, whatever. That way I'm never stressed about using my time wisely or forgetting to take care of myself.

I've also learned to let go of a lot in the way of mundane, daily chores. Skipping dishes every other day in a household as small as mine is not a huge deal. I've spent every weekend over the last month cleaning up the outside of my property & ignored the inside except for the necessities. It's not perfect but I'm still productive.... if I skip the floors for a week, no one is going to die.
Old 02-06-2018, 08:44 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

FS...I think I need to schedule these times in as well. That sounds like it would be very helpful. I struggle with letting house chores go (I have discussed this before) as I am pretty OCD about it. I am working on it........

I also have multiple monitors as work and do the same. I am struggling a bit because my house it just crazy right now, and it makes it difficult to fit it all in, in a peaceful way. Some of that will take care of itself soon, I guess until then I am going to have to definitely hone my time management skills.
Old 02-06-2018, 09:06 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Great question and not offensive at all. I tend to post on here and respond to threads based on what I am going through. There are many days where I don't log on, but I tend to notice it's when the addict comes back into my life and I don't want to face the reality of where things are or be reminded that my fantasy bubble is going to burst. Otherwise I use this as almost a journal throughout the day when I am feeling anxious and need to write. Like most social types of media, it can be very "addictive" to spend time on because once you post or respond of course now you want to read the replies so it ends up being a little bit of a cycle. I find that I like to log on when I get to work, and then later at the end of the day. On days when I am going through a lot or feeling more emotional I log on for longer and browse the boards. I use my work computer too so on the weekends I don't visit as often since I don't use a computer at home.

In general though, I need to manage my time better. It's amazing how much media and online can suck up so much time. I do think however, this is probably the best site I spend time on. It's not just toiling away but has become like therapy for me.
Old 02-06-2018, 09:09 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I have always struggled with time management and feeling everything needs done 'today'. I can't stand a dirty house, or a dirty dog, or papers/bills lying around. DS's toys I can handle better, but sometimes that room becomes a disaster. I hate dishes in the sink, and dirty cars and windows. Because I never can expect AW do step up, it usually falls to me, including watering the plants.

I'm not on social media except Twitter because I feel most of it is a waste of time. I am on SR during the day at work because AW is nosy, and if I try to do that at home, she would want to know what I'm looking at. I spend a bit more time on SR at work than I should, however - but my boss is happy with my production.

Even though I probably won't change post-divorce, at least there will be one less person contributing to the mess around the house, and I should not be constantly drained of energy by having an active A in the house.
Old 02-06-2018, 09:13 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I always fill in the responsibilities first, then go back & fill in the blanks with self-care, etc. My workday is implied

Mon - therapy 4:30
yoga - meditate

Tues - walk in AM
pick DD up by 5:30
face mask

Wed - DD 5:30
pedicure - yoga - meditate

Thurs - early morning work meeting
DD 5:30
Walk in the PM

Fri - acupuncture 4:30
facial - nails - yoga - meditate

Sat - Walk in AM
DD Meditation Class/shopping/lunch
Nap/leave-in hair conditioner
dye eyelashes
Dinner/drinks/dancing

I also run my laundry almost every morning and/or evening. I get a skip day about every 3rd or 4th day, depending. I either start it first thing in the morning so I can move it to the dryer before I leave or start the washer on my way to bed so it's ready to dry 1st thing in the morning. I'm learning to delegate more to DD, but her plate is FULL between school, HS auditions/applications, her scholarship & a few social activities. She's going to be starting more classes soon & we'll be running even more than we are now.
Old 02-06-2018, 09:26 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

M-T-Th_Fr: Pick up DS around 5, then go home and walk the dog, do laundry, go thru mail, make dinner, put DS to bed, do dishes, have about 20 minutes to catch up on emails, take dog for another walk, then to bed.

Wed: Leave work early to take DS to church choir practice, then stay for a families dinner, help clean up, and then home, put DS to bed, walk dog, and have 20 minutes for emails.

Sat-Sun: up and make breakfast for me and DS, work from home, do bills, do laundry, clean, take dog on walks, do other stuff around the house. Church Sunday morning. Make dinner, clean up, make beds, etc.

Not much room for 'me time' in there.
Old 02-06-2018, 09:34 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

It gets A LOT easier as the kids get older & more independent Dad - just wait. My schedule was exactly like yours for years.

Little things help too, don't forget. You can do dishes every other day or invest in a dishwasher to hide them from yourself.

Order in instead of cooking occasionally if budget allows, or just use paper plates. You're allowed to cut yourself some slack. What do you do while DS is in choir practice? Do you have to sit there or can you walk/return emails/something else?

DS can help too, especially if you make cleanup a game... can you pick up everything red & put it away? How about stuff with wheels? How fast can you do that? I'll count!
Old 02-06-2018, 09:45 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

M-F

Drop off DD for school 7:45 AM.
Work at 8 AM
Noon: Go home, let dogs out
5pm, go home, dinner, clean, laundry, dogs, help w/homework, pay bills, check emails, do anything that is required inside or outside my home, baths, bed. Try to get interaction with my kids and get everything done.

Being a single parent responsible for everything and everyone is overwhelming, but very, very rewarding!