Notices

Sweets sweets and more sweets

Old 02-05-2018, 12:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sweets sweets and more sweets

Hello everyone! Congratulations on making a choice towards a Better you! Whether your 1st hour or 10,000th day! You are admired by me. I chose to stop on 01/02/18 for reasons I will save for another day. But know I drank for a long time consistently and the need to drink always outweighed the idea of quitting. Still taking it day by day. My problem is, I am struggling with curving my desires for sweets. Prior to giving up alcohol I rarely ate or craved sweets. I use to say my Strawberry Margarita was my sweet-dessert. It’s now out of control. I am working towards a healthier me but these sweets are a contradicting diversion. At this point it’s harder for me to say no to sweets than alcohol. How long will these cravings last? What can I do to control them? Anyone else struggling in this area?
Old 02-05-2018, 12:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yes! Whenever I quit I always have bad sugar cravings and eat far too much. I've already lost my wisdoms and 3 other back teeth so I try to avoid the sugar but given the option of remaining sober and eating sugar I'd rather do the later :p
Old 02-05-2018, 12:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Janvier and well done on 3 days sobriety.

I'm still in the early days of sobriety (1 month and 5 days now) but like you my craving for all things sweet is crazy! Tis the body adjusting I think.

I have been allowing myself extra sweet treats as rewards for not drinking alcohol but I fear I may be indulging just a little tooooo much. I haven't found a solution yet. Sorry not to be of more help but want you to know, you are far from alone in this !
Old 02-05-2018, 12:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
quat

I would never be confused with a health nut, unless the food pyramid now includes cheesesteaks , that said if when the sweet tooth gets out of hand I'll make a point of having fruit on hand, grapes, apple slices and bananas are strangely satisfying.
Old 02-05-2018, 01:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Another one having the same cravings. I've never, ever been a big fan of ice cream. Well I had 3 cones over the weekend to push away the alcohol cravings.

I guess, whatever it takes? At least for now.
Old 02-05-2018, 01:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

It's normal to crave sweets after you stop drinking. As long as you eat right otherwise, I'd say it's better than drinking.
Old 02-05-2018, 01:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Janvier0109 View Post
Hello everyone! Congratulations on making a choice towards a Better you! Whether your 1st hour or 10,000th day! You are admired by me. I chose to stop on 01/02/18 for reasons I will save for another day. But know I drank for a long time consistently and the need to drink always outweighed the idea of quitting. Still taking it day by day. My problem is, I am struggling with curving my desires for sweets. Prior to giving up alcohol I rarely ate or craved sweets. I use to say my Strawberry Margarita was my sweet-dessert. It’s now out of control. I am working towards a healthier me but these sweets are a contradicting diversion. At this point it’s harder for me to say no to sweets than alcohol. How long will these cravings last? What can I do to control them? Anyone else struggling in this area?
hahaha thank goodness someone else is doing this. I can't get enough of them. never really touched them before. I'm just accepting it at the moment as it's better than drinking. I'll join a sweet addiction forum at a later date.
Old 02-05-2018, 03:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Me too... in the last half hour I’ve eaten a popsicle. Fudgcicle and now an apple. I am trying hard to stay away from the chocolate!
Old 02-05-2018, 04:29 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Rar

Count me in with the sweet tooth. I have taken to eating cold cereal, sometimes 3-4 bowls per day, plus handfuls here and there. It has been years since I've eaten cereal (with the exception of oatmeal). It's crazy.
Old 02-05-2018, 05:10 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I went through that as well when I quit in 2015. Big time. The body got used to all those empty calories. I can tell you with all confidence that it subsides on it's own.

I strongly urge you to eat all the sweets you want to satisfy that desire. You've done an amazing thing for yourself by quitting the booze and you're very early in recovery. It's critical that you pamper yourself in this stage. Don't deny yourself this early. Yes....sugar CAN become a new addiction. BUt that one is WAY easier to manage later IF you need to. FOr now....just try not to go overboard and pay close attention to associating eating sugar from an emotional trigger. Just be aware of that's happening and start thinking about other alternatives.

Are you aware of HALT (Hungry, Angry, Lonely, Tired)? You might be surprised to see how much of your sugar cravings are related to any one of those. Keep them in check by just making sure you don't allow yourself to become Hungry, Angry, Lonely, or Tired. And if you are craving, take a second to do a personal inventory to see if one of those issues are at play. Paying attention to HALT overall is going to be very helpful early in recovery. Once you see the source of the craving (alcohol or sugar for that matter), than you can deal with the REAL issue at play.

The BEST thing you can do is consider it a test to see if you can love yourself and give yourself a break no matter the situation. I can't possibly put in words the importance of showing self empathy, patience, and self love right now.

It's all about holding up the quit trophy high and proud. Celebrate every day and try your hardest not to let ANY negativity take away even the smallest sliver of self pride and love you DESERVE to show yourself. Us addicts are nutorious for being our worst critics. This is just one of many things that needs to change to live a happy, fulfilled, and sober life. LOVE THYSELF.

NOW...all that being said, here's a couple things that will help you and recovery as a whole:

- Eat smaller meals more regularly to level out your glucose level. 4-5 meals a day with fruits included. The BEST option would be 20-30g of protien along with some healthy fats. I found the easiest way to manage that was through protien shakes where I added peanut butter and milk for the fat. Those made up a couple of my "meals".

- Have a supply of dark chocolate (70% cocoa or better). This is probably the best sweet you can eat. Dark chocolate and alcoholism recovery go hand-in-hand. Google it. It's even mentioned in AA's "Big Book". I found it had a profound effect on my mood early in recovery and made it a point to have some for desert after any meal I wanted (super yummy with peanut butter). The more cocoa in the chocolate, the more profound the mood lift, but the more it tastes like bark. I liked 70% for desert and always had 80 or 85% for emergencies when my mood was poor.

Congrats on your sobriety!!!
Old 02-05-2018, 05:40 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I am so in the same boat. After drinking my sugar for years sometimes I swear I just want to put my whole face in a cake and start eating. But I love incontrol’s message of self acceptance (and dark chocolate).

To original poster glad I saw you. We are on same quit day. Which by my math is 34 days. Woo hoo!
Old 02-05-2018, 06:32 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Somehow, I haven't really had many cravings for sugar...yet. But I'm definitely consuming way more caffeine than I used to. Trying to keep an eye on it and spread consumption out a bit more evenly throughout the day.
Old 02-05-2018, 06:57 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I also drink lots of coffee. Started mixing in cup of hot chocolate. Love it but my son is getting upset I keep drinking his. I also crave sweet fruits. Cantelope, melon, plums, peaches and nectarines. Mix in some cashews, almonds and pistachios to fill me up.
Old 02-05-2018, 07:37 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I like the new dark chocolate peanut M and Ms. I don't want sweets often, but that's my favorite snack.
Old 02-06-2018, 01:54 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I have made so many positive moves in this road to sober life but I'm am such a sucker for the sweets now.
Not before!
Last night total cave in. I must have eaten 300 grams of fruit and nut chocolate and I wanted more. If anyone is familiar with the honey monster I'm exactly like that for anything sweet.
Got to get this beast under control before my dentist has a look and surprises me by saying WHAT TEATH!!!!!! 🤐🤐🤐🤐🙄😫😫😫
Old 02-06-2018, 02:05 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Excess Alcohol = Primary Poison
Excess Sugar = Secondary Poison

Getting rid of both is best but if I had to choose alcohol elimination is the top priority.

I'm allergic to both substances but only one of them has the potential to make me break out in handcuffs.
Old 02-06-2018, 03:27 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

In early recovery I wouldn't be worried about eating sweets, I'd just concentrate on staying sober.

On topic: Personally I ate all the candy I could get my hands on for about a month after I had stopped drinking. I still have cravings for sugar but it's nothing like it was those early days!
Old 02-06-2018, 03:44 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

The cravings are strong early in sobriety. I just passed the three week mark and feel like the cravings are subsiding a bit. Be kind to yourself and keep at it!
Old 02-06-2018, 03:51 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Jan,

I'm still addicted to sugar.

Yest....I had pieces of cookies, cakes, and doughnuts. When I get home from work used to be my drinking time...now it is sweets time.

I want to eliminate sugar. I try to blame my wife, but she doesn't force it in my mouth.

Thanks.
Old 02-06-2018, 10:54 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Strangely enough with me once my appetite returned after getting sober it was savory junk food I craved like bread, cheese ,salty crackers ,fries ,burgers etc etc
I did sometimes binge on chocolate too . The result of all this was a 20lb weight gain .
In a slimming club now and lost 7lb by cutting way way back on the junk .