Notices

When to expect improved sleeping

Old 02-05-2018, 08:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

When to expect improved sleeping

I'm super early on here, day 3. I've always been a terrible sleeper, because drunk people don't "sleep". They pass out.

I'm really hoping to get better sleep soon. Just looking for some feedback on when others started to see an improvement.
Old 02-05-2018, 08:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I started sleeping better on day 4 and was sleeping through the entire night by day 7, but as you'll see pointed out a lot on here, these things are pretty specific to the individual. Just know that it does get back to your normal eventually. Keep it up and before you know it you'll wake up to your alarm one morning and realize you didn't stir once.
Old 02-05-2018, 08:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mamakazi View Post
I'm super early on here, day 3. I've always been a terrible sleeper, because drunk people don't "sleep". They pass out.

I'm really hoping to get better sleep soon. Just looking for some feedback on when others started to see an improvement.
Im on day 7 and still struggling to be honest. It will get better though Im sure. I just cant get to sleep, mind racing, whereas before as you say , I just passed out.
Old 02-05-2018, 08:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Congrats on Day 3 Mamakazi. Acute withdrawal can generally last up to a week or two, and sleep problems are very common during that time. If you were a problem sleeper before, it may take some time even beyond that unfortunately.

The first week there's honestly not a lot you can do as your body just needs time to adjust/detox. There are lots of things you can look at to help get better sleep just in general though:

Avoid/reduce caffeine and sugar consumption - especially at night
Don't eat anything for at least an hour before bed
Try and get some exercise, even just a walk is good
Stay away from screens ( TV, tablets, phones ) before going to bed

You are doing just fine...the initial pain of detox is no fun. but it's short lived in the grand scheme of things. AKA - things will defintely get better!
Old 02-05-2018, 08:37 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
J50

For me it was 5-6 weeks, but my anxiety was through the roof. It's good now.
Old 02-05-2018, 08:38 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Most of what I was drinking involved caffeine, which obviously contributed to rough sleep post pass out. But if I'm not drinking my favorite cocktail, I really don't drink caffeinated beverages at all. So I'll be cutting that out as well!

The eating is tough. I found myself eating a LOT this weekend, as a distraction. So I'm trying to find other activities.

Waiting for this cold, snowy weather to stop and for the clocks to change so I can get out more after work!
Old 02-05-2018, 08:47 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I found it helpful to just let go of expectations.

In sobriety, I've had many nights of great sleep. In the first year, I had lots of sleep issues.

In winter time, I have frequent sleep disturbances - though I'm 4 years sober. These are related to seasonal shifts and varied levels of activity and my seasonal depression.

Overall, my sleep is of better quality and consistency than it was when I was sober.

All that said, back to my opening comment - I found that with sleep, sweating, sex, anxiety, depression, weight, energy, cravings, etc... etc... etc.... fill____In_____The____Blank - the more I let go of expectations the better off I became.

Old 02-05-2018, 09:50 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Congrats on day 3! yayaya

My sleep took about 4 months to regulate and insomnia to go away.
Old 02-05-2018, 01:16 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Mamakazi and congrats on reaching day 3!

Sleep is definitely hard to come by in the early days. On my day 3, I was still restless in bed, wide awake and trying to force sleep and all the worst things came to my mind in those sleepless nights, I actually dreaded going to bed.

But.....after about 3/4 days it suddenly started to get easier for me. It comes to different people at different stages.

I have said this on another post but for me what worked when finding sleep was a routine. Try to get to bed around the same time every night, the body is quick to adapt. I try and keep relaxed and calm leading up to bed time, especially calm in the mind, focusing on good and positive thoughts and not fearful ones. It will get easier, I promise you.
Old 02-05-2018, 04:12 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi Mamakazi, I'm on day 5 but I had a good nights sleep last night, little trouble dropping off, but 8 hours once I did
Old 02-05-2018, 04:22 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

It took me a few weeks to get good sleep.
Old 02-05-2018, 08:42 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Yeh few weeks for me. your bodys got to settle and adjust.

Good job by the way
Old 02-05-2018, 10:58 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

For me it got progressively better until I was sleeping pretty well at day 10.

D
Old 02-05-2018, 11:06 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Mama,

l still sleep usually about 4 to 6 hours at a time.

Then I wake up for a couple, then sleep for a few more.

With that middle wake up, in order to get 7 or so, I need to be in bed for 10 hours or so.

For me, sleep is huge, but so is diet and exercise.

I always remember that 1 hour of sober sleep is worth 12 of drunk sleep.

Plus, if I get 4 hours on one night, I know I will get 6 or 7 the next. It is cyclic.

Thanks.
Old 02-05-2018, 11:21 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
dcg
D♭7♭9♯9♯11♭13

Originally Posted by D122y View Post
I always remember that 1 hour of sober sleep is worth 12 of drunk sleep.
For sure, well, maybe not to that ratio, but it's sure a fact that the body is so busy processing all the **** you threw down your gullet that you never really rest and thus never wake up refreshed.
Old 02-06-2018, 01:01 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Im on day 8 and I had the best night sleep in years last night . Woo Hoo!!
Old 02-06-2018, 01:42 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hi
Sleep as most things with sobriety is different for everyone.
I had sleep deprivation for about 3 weeks and then the opposite hibernation sooo nice but sooooooo hard to wake up, like sleepy till the afternoon.

I agree with another post on the string that pointed out expectations at this point.
Old 02-06-2018, 06:30 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

When drinking, sleep was my main form of escape from problems. If I had an impending court date, I could sleep continuously.

When sober I had trouble sleeping. I found that came right as I cleared my conscience. The more clear my conscience, the better I slept.
Old 02-06-2018, 07:35 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Adventurer

Sleep was always a problem for me when I was drinking. Once you detox you will begin to feel better. For me "good" sleep didn't really begin to occur until months down the road. I had a list of things I needed to work on along with the alcoholism though.