Notices

Starting out

Old 02-05-2018, 03:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Starting out

So I’m here, on day one, posting. I’m at work as normal, everything is normal, I’m not stressed and I feel calm. I’m sipping water to keep myself hydrated.

There is nothing alcohol related at home so it’s a clean slate so to speak.

It is down to me to control this now, I choose whether I drive to the off license, I choose whether I stick my bank card in the pay station and dial the digits in to pay for it. It is not like a higher being suddenly takes over my body and I am not aware of what it is I’m doing.
I have told my mum I’ve cleared my room this morning- she was relieved however it counts for nothing if I don’t follow it up with some action today
I need to start re training my mind that I don’t need this poison and it’s doing nothing for me

I ran a 5k on Sat and I was thinking as I was doing it that I could get a much better time if I didn’t have to haul myself out of bed after a pointless binge

I need to get back posting before all the nonsense thinking starts and not after I’ve binged as the result will always be the same

Brainwashing of alcohol is just ridiculous. Once I’m out of this cycle- it’s never again
Old 02-05-2018, 03:15 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Glad you cleaned out your room and you're posting.
I'm all about that retraining. I did it before I even knew what to call it.
Maybe we should call it 'rebraining'.
What's the plan? What are you going to do when you feel like drinking?
Old 02-05-2018, 03:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Just Blows more the Bing has to pretty much be cutting back and or stop, last few ones sugars ate me up so damn bad broke out in like a rash and itching all over....and it was worms up there man, was not in a normal mental state Lol
Old 02-05-2018, 03:29 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good to hear stew🙂 it’s hard but not impossible to break the cycle of daily drinking. You can do this!
Old 02-05-2018, 03:54 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nonsensical View Post
Glad you cleaned out your room and you're posting.
I'm all about that retraining. I did it before I even knew what to call it.
Maybe we should call it 'rebraining'.
What's the plan? What are you going to do when you feel like drinking?
1. Not drink no matter what
2. Check if HALT is a factor
3. Post here
4. Wind the tape on
5. Remind myself of how much better off I’ll be in the morning without it
Old 02-05-2018, 04:48 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Now's your chance to shine Stewey and kick that intent into consistent sustained action.

Don't look back - best wishes

D
Old 02-05-2018, 06:52 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Stewy, I'm glad to hear you're sober and feeling positive.
Old 02-05-2018, 07:45 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Congrats on day one and a positive new outlook!!
Old 02-05-2018, 07:50 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Day 1 - very pleased for you.

Fight this, my friend.

You can do this amazing thing!
Old 02-05-2018, 08:23 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Stew1984 View Post
I need to start re training my mind that I don’t need this poison and it’s doing nothing for me
Glad to hear you are giving sobriety another try Stewy. I think you likely already know that alcohol is doing nothing for you, at least you should have an abundance of evidence to show you that.

Regarding the "Retraining your mind" part - that's really the crux of the matter, isn't it? It looks like you have assembled a pretty good list of things to get you started down that road - i'd also add some time for recovery specific work too. By that I mean things like

"go to a recovery meeting"
"read about AVRT"
"see my therapist about addiction"
"call my local alcohol/drug resource center and find out about local grops or programs"

Yes - it's definitely day 1 so you need to check your HALT and take care of the detox basics. But for the long term mix in some recovery specific actions and you can go far. Because the initial sting of detox and consequences of drinking will fade soon.
Old 02-05-2018, 09:45 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Stew1984 View Post
1. Not drink no matter what
2. Check if HALT is a factor
3. Post here
4. Wind the tape on
5. Remind myself of how much better off I’ll be in the morning without it
I see one action item on your list - post here.

Everything else on it is just stuff you think about, or do in your head.

I was told in rehab - OFTEN - "The same brain that got your ass sick isn't going to get you well."

I couldn't think or will myself sober. Gawd, if it were that easy I could've saved myself and those who loved me so much pain and heartache. I had to take action - b/c just thinking on it, or concentrating real hard produced no results.

I agree with Scott here. Sorry if this stings, but your plan is useful for a short-term craving, just to get thru one day. This "white-knuckled" approach to getting sober doesn't last in the long term. You've made these same sort of commitments before, and they didn't stick.

Guess what, so did I. So did many of us.

So, when do you want to get off the merry-go-round of binge and get drunk; detox and sober up; pledge to never do it again; then repeat?
Old 02-05-2018, 01:37 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Now's your chance to shine Stewey and kick that intent into consistent sustained action.

Don't look back - best wishes

D
Thank you for your encouragement 🙂
Old 02-05-2018, 01:38 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
Stewy, I'm glad to hear you're sober and feeling positive.

Thank you 🙂
Old 02-05-2018, 01:38 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Komplex View Post
Congrats on day one and a positive new outlook!!
Much appreciated!
Old 02-05-2018, 01:39 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberLeigh View Post
Day 1 - very pleased for you.

Fight this, my friend.

You can do this amazing thing!
Fight is on! 🙂
Old 02-05-2018, 01:42 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
Glad to hear you are giving sobriety another try Stewy. I think you likely already know that alcohol is doing nothing for you, at least you should have an abundance of evidence to show you that.

Regarding the "Retraining your mind" part - that's really the crux of the matter, isn't it? It looks like you have assembled a pretty good list of things to get you started down that road - i'd also add some time for recovery specific work too. By that I mean things like

"go to a recovery meeting"
"read about AVRT"
"see my therapist about addiction"
"call my local alcohol/drug resource center and find out about local grops or programs"

Yes - it's definitely day 1 so you need to check your HALT and take care of the detox basics. But for the long term mix in some recovery specific actions and you can go far. Because the initial sting of detox and consequences of drinking will fade soon.
Yeah I’ve got to look into some other stuff for the long term. I get that as it will set me up to go far with all of this.

I’m talking to a couple of people at the minute who have stopped drinking recently including a good friend of mine, we are touching base regularly and discussing what works / Doesn’t work and any challenges faced
Old 02-05-2018, 01:48 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ken0331 View Post
I see one action item on your list - post here.

Everything else on it is just stuff you think about, or do in your head.

I was told in rehab - OFTEN - "The same brain that got your ass sick isn't going to get you well."

I couldn't think or will myself sober. Gawd, if it were that easy I could've saved myself and those who loved me so much pain and heartache. I had to take action - b/c just thinking on it, or concentrating real hard produced no results.

I agree with Scott here. Sorry if this stings, but your plan is useful for a short-term craving, just to get thru one day. This "white-knuckled" approach to getting sober doesn't last in the long term. You've made these same sort of commitments before, and they didn't stick.

Guess what, so did I. So did many of us.

So, when do you want to get off the merry-go-round of binge and get drunk; detox and sober up; pledge to never do it again; then repeat?
The short answer is now, today.

They may Be things that you just do in your head and techniques to manage short term cravings, but right now this is necessary for me. A lot of it is in my head. It’s a mindset thing above all else.

Action is surely different for everyone, personally, I have lots around me that I can tap into whether it be family, friends, sport, music- I need to be focussing outwardly on those things to help me.

Thank you for your advice 🙂