Notices

Drunk

Old 02-04-2018, 01:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Drunk

It’s like a relentless juggernaut every day. No matter the mood at the time, I seem to finish the day drinking to excess. Can deal without it through the entire day, it’s just the evenings that are the pain in the neck to change

It’s like I’m scared of life without boozing, like I won’t be myself or I can’t manage without it, or I won’t be sociable and fun. Twisted logic most like. I will probably be a fuller person without it.

I originally came here as someone with a drinking problem. I stopped and was happy with my decision. My relationship broke down and I started drinking again. The remainder of my life is happy and I am very fortunate of that. I want to stay connected here, I sometimes feel like I’m actively annoying some posters due to my indecisiveness at times. That is not my intention. I came here as it was supportive and encouraging. I still feel it is.

There is a Stew in there that wants out if this. I know what I’m doing is not sustainable. I just want to feel like I’m able to post whatever the situation and not feel like I’m annoying others with what I’m saying.

Thanks to all that suppprt me and look out for me 🙂
Old 02-04-2018, 01:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm a night time drinker too. Throughout the day I rarely feel the desire to drink, but once I've finished work and I put my feet up thats when I start. Also struggling. I have no advice for you except to say I feel your pain right now.
Old 02-04-2018, 01:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Embrace sobriety.

It’s way better.
Old 02-04-2018, 01:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

We know you're in there, Stew. We're trying to figure out how best to help you. I doubt anyone's annoyed. Never stop checking in and continuing to seek freedom from alcohol. As you've already discovered, it does nothing to enhance your life & only brings you misery.
Old 02-04-2018, 01:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Stew, don't worry about what others think. Just focus on your own recovery. Find a way to get through the evening without drinking. You can do this!
Old 02-04-2018, 01:53 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I was a night time drinker too. I really am not in any position to offer advice, I can only say since you were sober before, think back and remember what made you get sober the last time and what you did to achieve it, and then dig deep and do it again. Best wishes.
Old 02-04-2018, 02:02 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Stew,

The old adage of 'keep coming back' really hits home here. Please take some time if you haven't already to read through some of the stories others have posted. You'll find tons of similarities with those who've chosen the sober path. It's not a magical thing; I had to take concrete steps to turn the proverbial corner. I was definitely where you are right now--thinking that there wasn't an alternative...also I didn't care if I lived. I can be right back there in an instant, too if I drank again.

Stay with us man...you got this
Old 02-04-2018, 02:13 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

what are you going TO DO about your drinking problem? it's the same problem as the first day you posted. the alcohol monster still has you well and good in it's grip.
Old 02-04-2018, 02:20 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hey Stewy

If you see nighttime is the problem, why not make a real definite plan to combat that?

There shouldn't be any reason for you not to read some of the ideas here and implement them.

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ery-plans.html (Psst...wanna know why I'm always recommending recovery plans?)

Have you thought anymore on AA? A nightly meeting could help. Same goes for any meeting based group really - SMART, LifeRing....

It's great you acknowledge the problem but I reckon thats only half the solution,

You're going to need to take some kind of action .

It's like realising your problem is a locked door but not actively searching for the key?

D

Last edited by Dee74; 02-04-2018 at 02:37 PM.
Old 02-04-2018, 02:24 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

stewy, this is nothing, absolutely nothing new from you. its quite sad to read.

still no on rehab? still no on recovery programs?
Old 02-04-2018, 02:47 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

I get it, Stew. It's hard to keep posting when you know the answer is "Stop it, then! "

But you're here because you're trying or at least you want to be trying. So am I. Post away, man. It's better than silence and isolation any day.
Old 02-04-2018, 03:50 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Posting after you drink has never helped you and it never helped me either.I agree that you need a plan. So what are you going to do?
Old 02-04-2018, 05:45 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Evenings are the worst time for me too. I'm only on day 22, so really early days. What I've been doing is:
a) Keeping busy. Planning out my evenings. Even if it's just things around the house. If a craving hits, take a shower to get my mind off it.
b) Drinking copious amounts of non-alc drinks like teas (herbal or regular), soda water, soft drink (not the best, I know, but better than booze), juice.
c) Trying to eat dinner EARLY. Once I have food in my stomach I'm less likely to crave. Then of course a cup of tea while I watch TV or read.
d) Getting in bed early. Teeth brushed and read in bed or whatever. Don't know if this is just me but once my teeth are brushed there's a mental barrier between myself and eating or drinking anything but water.

Anything to get your head on the pillow sober. I know my advice is nothing earth shattering, sorry I have nothing else to offer.

Old 02-04-2018, 08:48 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi stewy, it takes more than wanting,, to get out of that prison.

It takes doing and sometimes that action of doing is uncomfortable and not what you want to do in that moment. It takes pushing through that.

Alcohol screws up your mind so bad that it can be really hard to get out of your head and see above the muck, at the bigger picture and the beautiful world going on without you, all around you. I am only just over a year into my new life alcohol free and already i see how twisted up i was. There wont be a better time and it will always be this hard or harder. It just takes a decision from you to finally end it.
Old 02-04-2018, 09:19 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Night time was my witching hour too. Come home from work, drink until bed while i scrambled around to do laundry, housework, cook supper, dishes, pay bills etc. I’d drink until bedtime and get up and do the same thing the next night. Then it started creeping into the daytime, then into daily, then I’d take a few days off to recoup (all the while still working) and start the nightly routine again.

What helped me was to re-organize my nights. I made sure chores were done in the am (or most of them) so I had more free time @ night. I could make a healthy dinner, finish chores, binge on netflix - ANYTHING to change up my nightly routine. EVERY, SINGLE TIME I relapsed it was always worse and woke the AV up. If I could get a few days and NOT touch anything I could be ok.

Maybe a meeting @ night, (AA, SMART?). SR? Have you looked into Rational Recovery or 30 days to sobriety? I found that early on if I kept my recovery the FOCUS of my days, I could string a few sober days together, then a few more etc. It was when I lose that focus that it got bad again.

Have you spoken with your doctor about medications?? In the end, keep coming back and don’t give up. We know how hard it is. If it were easy none of us would be here.
Old 02-04-2018, 09:22 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Another thingthat helped me was that I started making myself notes on my computer. Just a diary of sorts explaining the sickness, aches, anxiety that I felt the next morning. The lost time, the disappointment of my family. I have several dated notes that I can go back and re-read. It puts the “morning after” in perspective before I put myself through that again by buying a bottle.
Old 02-04-2018, 10:41 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Time to take the bull by the horns, Stewy.

Stand up and fight this thing, my friend.
Old 02-04-2018, 11:07 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

“Can deal without it through the entire day, it’s just the evenings that are the pain in the neck to change”

I used to think that too - that I was an “evening drinker” and that was a somehow more comforting subcategory of alcoholic.

But I eventually became an early afternoon drinker and for a frightening period before I sobered up, a lunchtime and morning drinker. I’d managed the evening part for a good ten years, but when the drinking accelerated it did FAST. Please commit to quitting before you reach that point!
Old 02-04-2018, 11:12 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hi Stewy,

I’m only 20 days sober so very early on this journey. I was a night time drinker too, I totally get the pattern. I considered myself ‘functional’, but things slowly were getting worse. I was starting to drink earlier in the evening, drinking more, starting to wake up on the sofa at 2 am and mornings were becoming more foggy.

There were also some silent changes going on inside, along with the flushed face, skin problems, weight gain and frequent dehydration which I was aware of, but pushed aside, a visit to the Dr revealed seriously high bp and badly elevated liver enzymes.

It’s good that you want to stay connected here, the support is fantastic. I hope you can become the Stewy you want to be.
Old 02-05-2018, 12:15 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

So what help can we offer you, Stew?

Whatever your plan is doesn't seem to work very well.