Notices

Seeking The Christian Way 2 Recovery

Old 02-03-2018, 07:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Seeking The Christian Way 2 Recovery

I have been searching tbe web 4 recovery the Christian Way because i was once told not 2 believe everything i hear and there r a lot of things about recovery groups that follow the 12 steps i don't agree with and say it is thei
Bible
I am just trying2 do this the Lord's way
The Bible says search the scriptures
Old 02-03-2018, 07:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome. I hope you find the path right for you! I Am Christian and am finding AA and this site to be great resources.
Old 02-03-2018, 10:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I don't know anything about recovery, "the Christian Way."

AA and the 12 Steps are about reaching a personality change through a spiritual experience. It's not a "religious" program, but it does acknowledge a Higher Power which many choose to call God.

Perhaps these words from the Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous (perhaps that's the AA Bible you reference?) will help:

We have no desire to convince anyone that there is only one way by which faith can be acquired. If what we have learned and felt and seen means anything at all, it means that all of us, whatever our race, creed, or color are the children of a living Creator with whom we may form a relationship upon simple and understandable terms as soon as we are willing and honest enough to try. Those having religious affiliations will find nothing here disturbing to their beliefs or ceremonies. There is no friction among us over such matters.
We think it no concern of ours what religious bodies our members identify themselves with as individuals. This should be an entirely personal affair which each one decides for himself in the light of past associations, or his present choice. Not all of us join religious bodies, but most of us favor such memberships.

So, what is it about the 12 Steps that you find so objectionable to your Christian or biblical beliefs?

(quotes from the Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous, 1st Edition.)
Old 02-03-2018, 11:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm a Christian alcoholic in recovery who is also active in AA and using the 12-steps to stay sober. Not everyone in AA is a Christian (in fact, in the UK most are not), so when they talk about their Higher Power while I am talking about my Christian God, they are talking about a God of THEIR understanding. For some of them this might mean that they take G.O.D. as an an acronym for Group Of Drunks. Others have figured it out some other kind of way.

I can honestly say that working the 12-step program of recovery has strengthened my faith in (my Christian) God, and i am so relieved to be able to live with integrity now, and have an understanding of humility and live which had eluded me for years and really made it hard for me to understand some of the teachings where I needed most to have understanding - in my heart.

Did you find the Christians in Recovery area on here yet? https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ians-recovery/

You might find that there is Celebrate Recovery near you. That is church based 12-step recovery and might be worth a Google. There isn't one near me. But I'm happy enough with AA. I'm active there, and I'm active in church - neither replaces the other. No one in AA alludes to the Big Book as something to replace THE Bible. They might use it as an expression to mean that they think it's the most informative book on Recovery, just as someone might allude to a particular cookery book or some such thing in the same way.

Wishing you all the best for your sobriety and recovery.
BB
Old 02-04-2018, 03:01 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Personally I think the 12 step program of AA and my Christian faith are quite compatible. In fact, most of the AA meetings in my area are held at Christian churches.

I think most priests/pastors agree with and support the AA program as a recovery program. That's why they are willing to host the AA meetings in their churches.
Old 02-04-2018, 04:13 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'd second Celebrate Recovery if you are looking for a formal face to face Christian focused recovery program.

That being said, there are Christians here and also found in other programs.
Old 02-04-2018, 09:21 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Ditto Celebrate Recovery. The 12 steps they use are based both on those from A.A. and the Beatitudes from the 4 Gospels. I'm sure there is a church in your area that hosts meetings for C.R. ...sounds right up your alley