Notices

No more panic attacks in sobriety

Old 02-03-2018, 12:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

No more panic attacks in sobriety

I know this has been covered a lot. When I was drinking, I had horrific panic attacks. Worst were at 3 am. (Why is it I read this specific time a lot from others?) Also crippling anxiety.

My husband was convinced I had GAD (generalized anxiety disorder) and panic disorder. I told him I didn't. It was drinking. I was right.

Now, both are completely gone. Posting for two reasons. 1) To hear and celebrate if this is true for others and 2) provide some hope and inspiration for others.
Old 02-03-2018, 12:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm so glad you have seen such an improvement.

And, yes, 3am seemed to be a prime time for me, too. I had panic attacks and anxiety decades before I began to drink, so I still do. But, the horrible panic attacks are much less frequent now.
Old 02-03-2018, 01:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

My first panic attack was brought on when i was a teen (from drinking) scariest moment of my life. Don't get them anymore, thank God.
Old 02-03-2018, 01:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I also had anxiety before drinking so heavily, and still do. And yes, the 3am wake-up! Whats.the deal with that? The difference now I am sober is a less desperate type of anxiety.
Old 02-03-2018, 01:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

My anxiety got a lot less since I've been sober.
Old 02-03-2018, 02:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Rar

Yes - I also had the 3 am wakeup.
Old 02-03-2018, 02:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I always assumed it was when all the sugar hits your liver and disrupts your sleep? I think this is also why people usually sleep much better once they get sober (and finish detoxing, obviously).

Yay no more panic attacks!! Always good to celebrate the small victories
Old 02-03-2018, 04:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I've had anxiety issues for a long time a tried to "treat" it with alcohol, bad decision. It came to the point where ever time I drank, the next day was nothing but horrific panic attacks.
Off the sauce the anxiety is still there, but much better with panic attacks now being a rare occurrence.
Old 02-03-2018, 05:03 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

What Anna said. Mine were nocturnal (basically my defenses were down) out of sleep '911' attacks that began years before I drank. I will say that I self-medicated to address my anxiety and the result will increased episodes while sober. The incidence of those now is much less to pretty much nil, as I'm almost six months out and I've learned to manage acute anxiety/panic much more effectively.

So cool that you've seen such improvement
Old 02-03-2018, 06:02 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Change4good View Post
I know this has been covered a lot. When I was drinking, I had horrific panic attacks. Worst were at 3 am. (Why is it I read this specific time a lot from others?) Also crippling anxiety.

My husband was convinced I had GAD (generalized anxiety disorder) and panic disorder. I told him I didn't. It was drinking. I was right.

Now, both are completely gone. Posting for two reasons. 1) To hear and celebrate if this is true for others and 2) provide some hope and inspiration for others.
I used to get crazy anxiety and panic attacks and I really had never linked it to drinking (don't know how that slipped passed me). But I did notice that it's all gone now that I no longer drink.

The times I decided to return to drinking, even if it was just a couple drinks on one single night, my anxiety would be present.

Another reason to stay away from the bottle!

So glad to hear you no longer have to suffer through that anymore :-)

Take care!
Old 02-03-2018, 06:08 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I used to wake up at either 2 or 3 am when I was drinking. It would mess with my mind in the worst ways. So then I started to make sure I didn't drink all my stash before I went to bed so i could have something to down in the middle of the night to help me back asleep. Alcohol is the worst.
Old 02-03-2018, 06:30 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JackD89 View Post
I used to wake up at either 2 or 3 am when I was drinking. It would mess with my mind in the worst ways. So then I started to make sure I didn't drink all my stash before I went to bed so i could have something to down in the middle of the night to help me back asleep. Alcohol is the worst.
Yes, been there. What a horrible way to live.
Old 02-03-2018, 06:34 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm another 3am waker or 3.33

Still panic attacks from time to time but the least severe or regular they've been in my whole life

Congrats Change4Good
Old 02-03-2018, 07:10 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I would often have the 3 am panic attack, which eventually led to the three am drinking. I’ve only been sober 16 days, but I have not had a panic attack since day 2. I thought my anxiety would be worse, but it seems my mind is at peace with my decision to put down the drink!
Old 02-03-2018, 08:11 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ProfessorD View Post
I always assumed it was when all the sugar hits your liver and disrupts your sleep? I think this is also why people usually sleep much better once they get sober (and finish detoxing, obviously).
I've also heard that. I always woke reliably around 3:30 a.m. The anxiety on Monday morning following a heavy drinking weekend was the worst.

That's all in the past
Old 02-04-2018, 03:00 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Omg I was the excat same 3am thirst ....now I've quit Alcohol I no longer have panic attacks an I feel great

Much love
Caralara ❤️
Old 02-04-2018, 06:05 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

This is true for me!! I didn't have my first panic attack until I was getting pretty heavy with my drinking years ago, and I always noticed my anxiety would peak the day after a heavy binge. I knew it was 100% related for me.

In fact, even though I'm early in - 14 day mark coming later today! - my reduced anxiety (and no panic attacks - just my experience) is one of my primary motivations for staying sober. Drinking made my anxiety so bad I would avoid going in public which would lead to less stuff getting done, until I "sobered up" enough to stomach another drink to relieve some anxiety and start the cycle again. Pure crazy.

@rascalwhiteoak - I actually called into work on Mondays several times because my anxiety was so bad after heavy weekend drinking. Which made me feel even worse about myself. I don't ever want to feel that again!!
Old 02-04-2018, 06:59 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

This is interesting. I have had anxiety/panic attacks for YEARS but then again I have been drinking for YEARS so really don't know if the alcohol is causing them. I always drink when one sets in to calm it down. I do get them during sleep when I have been drinking the night before. I am hoping that now I am not drinking they will start to dissipate.
Old 02-04-2018, 08:12 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I believe(for me anyway) that the early morning anxiety/panic attack is the first stage of withdrawal symptoms. You go to bed(pass out)drunk and when the booze wears off withdrawal kicks in the form of anxiety.
I drank a ton on a binge, usually min of 18-20 beers or a fifth of whisky a day and the only hangover/withdrawal symptoms I ever got was severe anxiety, so bad I couldn't drive to work but managed to make it to the liquor store when they opened at 6am, needless to say I lost two very good jobs. On my non-binge days I still managed to put away a pint of whisky and a six pack, I would sit at work and anxiously stare at the clock waiting for 4pm quitting time.
After about a month of sobriety my anxiety is almost non-existent
Old 02-04-2018, 10:00 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Change4good View Post

How long did it take after you stopped drinking for the attacks to stop?