Today's Hope - February 2

Old 02-02-2018, 12:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Today's Hope - February 2

Today's Hope

"Self-importance is our greatest enemy. Think about it - what weakens us is feeling offended by the deeds and misdeeds of our fellowmen. Our self-importance requires that we spend most of our lives offended by someone." —Carlos Castaneda

"Were we offended by someone today? Do we harbor resentment for remarks, oversights, or unpleasant mannerisms? Do we feel tense or uneasy about how someone else has treated us? We can probably make a good case to justify our reactions. Perhaps we are in the right and they are in the wrong.

Yet, even if we are justified, it doesn't matter. We may be puffing ourselves up and wasting energy. When we are oversensitive, we take a self-righteous position, which leads us far from our path of spiritual awakening. Our strength is diminished.

How much better it is to let go of the lightness, let go of our grandiosity, and accept the imperfections in others. We need to accept our own imperfections too. When we do, we are better men, and our strength and energy can be focused on richer goals. I will accept others' imperfections; I do not need to be right."

Old 02-02-2018, 12:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

"My Humble Options
When I first purchased services from an Internet provider, I found Al-Anon was on-line! In the member profiles it surprised me to see that a large number of people listed Al-Anon as an interest or hobby. It amazed me that I could actually find on-line meetings.

The alcoholic and I were going through a rough time then. I was staying home quite a bit to care for our seven-year-old son. It seemed that when I needed the program most, I couldn’t leave the house to attend additional meetings. I am so grateful I had the opportunity to attend meetings. I am so grateful I had the opportunity to attend meetings on-line. I found so much love and support in those “rooms” and made many new friends. I decided to join an Al-Anon e-mail list. Bothe connections have been instrumental in my recovery.

I found so many different people this way. There are long-time Al-Anon members who participate, as well as newcomers. For many of the new people, this is their first exposure to the program. On-line meeting offer safety and anonymity to those who cannot leave home to attend face-to-face meetings for a variety of reasons. There are also a few people who have not yet found the courage to try an Al-Anon meeting in person. Although it can be a difficult step for some to take, everyone receives encouragement to attend face to face meetings to get Al-Anon’s maximum benefits and growth. These meetings provide structure and offer a good variety of topics for discussion. In my humble opinion, they can be as good as meetings that are face-to-face.

This is a good way for me to do Twelfth Step work, too. I can reach out to people I would never have met, and I get to communicate all over the world. The experience has truly enriched me."

Lisa W., Virginia

Reprinted with permission of The Forum
Al-Anon Family Groups Incorporated, Virginia Beach, VA