Child protective services

Old 02-02-2018, 11:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Child protective services

Child protective services.

I've called to help protect other children, so I'm familiar with what's involved on that end.

I have an appointment next Thursday, with DS11, to meet with them. They've received reports with concerns about our homeschooling.

From family members who chose not to be involved in our lives or talk to us about it. CPS doesn't reveal this. It was relayed to me by a neutral party. Without me asking... simply information flowing to me. I started to ask questions and then shut that down immediately. It's not my business.

I gave way more info to our case worker than was needed. I simply HAD to be upfront that we're a family in recovery from alcoholism and there has been some turmoil from this, with extended family interactions. No defending. Looking for transparency in all actions.

So.... tears and frustration... lots of natural emotions flowing... a new release valve I didn't realize I needed.

Switching gears into some really good self-care, easy and open conversations with DS11 and RAH.

Goals today:

Self-care

Self-compassion

Having fun

I'd be totally okay if that is all the homeschooling we get in today, as THESE are the basis of living a full, successful life, IMHO. Uber-important things I never learned from my FOO. One day at a time, more is revealed.

Pray... and follow.

Pray... and follow.
Old 02-02-2018, 12:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Recent homeschooling:

We learn by exploring and adventuring... mountains, fields, Montana, neighboring states, lakes, rivers, ponds, trails... forging new paths...

English, science, mathematics, geography, flora and fauna ... in a wide variety of ways...

New ways of communicating, being healthy individuals, having a stronger core family unit. Learning Faith and Trust in the goodness and abundance in LIFE.

Made vision boards this week. DS created his around science and nature.

Ebb and flow. Life is fluid and changes daily. I'm not planning out what comes next. Letting the Universe surprise and direct us.

This week we learned about new technology directly related to science and nature in several ways on local and global levels.
Old 02-02-2018, 12:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Feeling...

At peace...

Feeling... anger...

Feeling... sadness...

Feeling... scared...

I know all is well.... yet there is a deeply rooted fear and anger that it finding some kind of release here.

This WILL empower me more than it hurts me.

And as tears come... I will let them flow.

Nature/God/Universe is providing quiet space alone for this, as I need it.

It's not easy posting all of this. It is helpful in finding my voice and my focus.
Old 02-02-2018, 12:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I am sorry you have to deal with this. I would say as long as you are actually learning, and can show that via testing as well, that you have nothing to worry about. I agree with being as transparent as possible.

Sending big hugs!
Old 02-02-2018, 12:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you! I really do need the hugs and support!!!

I am suddenly feeling super-overreactive-sensitive to everything around me and within me. More trauma-crap reactions to deal with.

This really sucks! All of it. I'm tired, I'm exhausted, I'm digging deeper into my reserves.
Old 02-02-2018, 12:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Picturing another new seed of strength within me that's been laying dormant and is now cracking open and getting ready to grow.

The cracking open hurts. The growth in this hurts. It won't kill me. I'll make it through all these feelings coming up around this. Leaning into the emotions instead of ignoring them.

Ughhh!! This really sucks.
Old 02-02-2018, 02:18 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I homeschooled all 8 of my kids during the train wreck of alcoholism. They've all done really well getting 1st class hon degrees, MA 's and doing jobs they love. We had SS intervention on a couple of occasions cos my mother called them behind my back just to spite me as she wasn't happy I didn't defer to her idea of parenting. Once they realised the referral was malicious they left us in peace.
Old 02-02-2018, 03:58 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Im sorry you have to deal with this also Mango. But I think you attitude is very good, and although I dont know a lot about homeschooling I believe there are guidelines and testing required. As long as this is in order, I doubt you have anything to worry about. I would feel discomfort and anxiety over it also if I was in your position. Being audited in any way is scary. I guess I would try to think of it as one more challenge, one more test for myself, one more adventure as the lioness of the family.
Old 02-02-2018, 05:09 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

We called CPS on my SIL several years ago and they were absolutely useless. Both times. And our nieces were in a crappy situation with two addicts and mom showing up high or drunk to pick up kids from school so they were a legit case . Plus they missed a lot of school. They abcially did nothing other than talk to the kids the first time. The second time we took the kids and brought them home with us and they stayed. CPS then tried to back paddle to CYA. I think they have to investigate everything and they are so backed up that even real cases are not being dealt with appropriately. Sounds like you have nothing to hide or worry about so I doubt much will come of it. It still sucks though that you have to go though this because it is wasting everyone's time that could be spent on actual cases. It i guess they won't know that until they talk to you. I bet you will be fine but good luck anyway
Old 02-02-2018, 06:35 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

We had a very productive 4-day school week at the school the DS11 and his older siblings attended. When it was a five day week there seemed to be much more wasted time.

Now we have a very integrated learning structure 7 days a week. Developing a natural inquisitiveness in many new ways. Registered with the county. Working at/above required levels.

At school we also had classroom drama and quite a bit of bullying. The concepts of being bully-free were expressed often and rarely implemented.

Last year was better. It was nice to leave on a better note. Looking back, the school environment of the past few years was more toxic than I had realized.

Now we don't take summer off or holiday breaks. We do have some lazy, easy days along the way... and yet even in that there is SO MUCH we are both learning.

This evening my husband, son and I are spending time at a family arcade center. I'm relaxing, enjoying loud music and bright lights. I couldn't do that for a long time after my injury 2 1/2 years ago. Celebrating all kinds of milestones.

On the drive here, we took some sidetracks and explorations... took a wrong turn... played an alphabet signage race... DS started talking about geometry and suddenly we were off on another learning tangent... life is GOOD.
Old 02-02-2018, 06:38 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

There have been times today when DS was scared and we talked about these very real fears, put things in perspective and validated this is scary and difficult even when we've done nothing wrong. It's okay to feel scared.
Old 02-08-2018, 11:03 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm panicking. Can't think. So glad to know to let this flow in the moment... let it come... thankful for some quiet space right now for this to happen in.

I'll soon gather myself. Staying grounded in my body. My brain is simply mis-firing at the moment. I have tools and skills to deal with this, with the emotional and physical.

When calling the social worker last week I couldn't even remember my phone number because of the stress trigger... then I gathered myself up and did fine.

So far this day....

Has not been anythjng like I was hoping for.

We are STRESSED.

And overall dealing with it very well.

Talked, hugged, got frustrated with some things, worked them out...

Eat...

Breathe...

Play...

And through this day we're learning things... many new things... and in that is some discomfort.
Old 02-08-2018, 11:08 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Legally, we're good....

We have resources to help us, if we need them. Simply would LOVE to have this end here, with this appointment today.

My trauma issues are my biggest self obstacles at the moment. This CPS report by family has been triggering that in BIG ways. Thank God for my trauma recovery.

One day at a time.

One breath at a time.
Old 02-08-2018, 11:11 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Sending you SO MUCH support & love today.... Keep taking those deep breaths, keep focused on the fact that you are in the right here & this is simply a process that you are caught up in. It won't last, tomorrow will be here before you know it!

Old 02-08-2018, 11:14 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thank you!!
Old 02-08-2018, 12:24 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Good to work through that... in many ways...

Settled, confident, feeling much love and support in my life.

Onward, ho!
Old 02-08-2018, 02:31 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

How did it go?

Originally Posted by Mango blast View Post
Good to work through that... in many ways...

Settled, confident, feeling much love and support in my life.

Onward, ho!
Old 02-08-2018, 03:57 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Good. Done. Interview is over. No investigation. Simply one document I need to follow up with.

Emotionally.... steady... numb... going through the motions of the day. I'm feeling physically ill from the emotions I'm not dealing with.

Thank you all for the support, thoughts and prayers. They've been very welcomed!!!
Old 02-08-2018, 04:01 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Simply would LOVE to have this end here, with this appointment today.

Sooooo very thankful it is!!!

Now to let these emotions be left behind....

Pray... follow... off to have some fun... or cry.... whichever hits...
Old 02-08-2018, 07:40 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

So glad to hear that, Mango!! I hope you get some good sleep tonight.