Notices

Feeling good lately....but....

Old 02-01-2018, 02:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Samantha

Feeling good lately....but....

So I've been doing quite well lately (for me, anyways).
Yes, I have had drinks. No, I have not got blackout drunk like I normally would.
Not for quite a while now, and YES I am happy about that.
I would love to say that I am sober but I am not yet.

Am I allowed to say that I am happy that I haven't got completely drunk in a while?
Old 02-01-2018, 02:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

you can SAY whatever you want...........but it's kind of like saying "hey i haven't slammed my fingers into as many drawers this week"

don't fool yourself tho...........the only way to assure you never get black out drunk again is to never drink again. everything else is just playing russian roulette with your own life.
Old 02-01-2018, 02:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Samantha

I realize I need to stop completely, and I am working on it.
I don't want to moderate or anything like that....it's just that a couple times I've given into cravings, had a couple of drinks and then felt bad and stopped.
Old 02-01-2018, 03:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

what else might you do when those cravings hit?
Old 02-01-2018, 03:54 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

You're allowed to say whatever you want as long as you're perpared for the responses

This kind of thinking is so familiar to me I even wrote a post about it.

When I was trying to get a handle on my drinking, not getting drunk was an achievement, a victory - it was hope to me, somewhere deep in me, that hey maybe I could control my drinking whenever I wanted....at the very least it was proof I was 'getting better'...

If I really looked back at my history I'd have seen the times when I drank 'like a gentleman' were the rare exception, not the rule.

I had 100s, maybe 1000s, of times where I got wasted and embarrassed or hurt myself or others - but I'd always go back to those handful of times where I'd had a glass or two and 'nothing happened'.

I really wanted to be a normal drinker, so I guess it's not surprising I clung to those few nights....but I'd always return to my normal pattern of drinking.

Looking back now, the truth was I was a blackout alcoholic drinker who sometimes had a 'normal' drinking experience - it was blind luck, not good management.

Please don't fall for the same lies I did for all those years.

Alcohol and I have a disastrous relationship. My drinking caused me immense pain and suffering, and it damn near destroyed me and all I loved....

if I drink - even one or two glasses - it's anything but a triumph.
I know it's scary to let drinking go completely but I really believe it's what we need to do to get better.

again: please don't fall for the same lies I did for all those years, anarock.

D
Old 02-01-2018, 04:29 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Samantha

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
You're allowed to say whatever you want as long as you're perpared for the responses

This kind of thinking is so familiar to me I even wrote a post about it.

I know it's scary to let drinking go completely but I really believe it's what we need to do to get better.

again: please don't fall for the same lies I did for all those years, anarock.

D
I want to quit completely but I’ve given in a couple times, realized what I was doing was wrong, and stopped myself. Poured out the drink. Went to bed or went for a walk. Got out of that state of mind.
I just sometimes give in.