Notices

Wading through some change and anxiety

Old 02-01-2018, 06:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Wading through some change and anxiety

Hey All,
Just thought i'd post about some feelings that i'm having. I recently moved in with my girlfriend in Denver from a cabin in the mountains and i'm definataly dealing with some fear and anxiety. I also work in Boulder so i'm driving between Denver and Boulder each day which can take upwards of 1 hour. The contract job i have in Boulder is going to end at the end of February so that won't last too much longer. It's taking all of my patience and serenity to combat the constant noise of the city. I've been going to her place for usually 3 to 4 days a week for over 9 months now so you would think that i would've gotten used to the change in environment but it's still difficult. I really care about her and we both eventually plan on moving out of the city so i see it as a temporary sacrifice. I am struggling with it though. I need to be extra vigilant with the recovery work and taking care of myself. Any thoughts are appreciated!
Thanks!
Garrison
Sober Date: 2/13/2017
Old 02-01-2018, 12:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Hi comtnman, I guess it must take some getting used to but i'm sure Denver has some decent parks or nature trails you could take advantage of. One other thing is to take advantage of the things that the city has that rural areas don't have so that you get the upside of city life as well as the downside.
Old 02-01-2018, 12:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Not a city person myself, so I can understand the anxiety you are feeling.
Commuting ain’t fun either.
Hang in there. Things will get better as you find your way through this.
Old 02-01-2018, 02:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

That must have been nice, living in a cabin out in the mountains. I've only ever done that in little stints and I've always loved it.

The city isn't so bad, even if it can seem overwhelming. The key is to realize that you have your own energy to bring to this place, even if it's a more reserved, peaceful energy. Try to stay true to how you felt up in the mountains and, as you said, think of this as a detour. You're in a good place over all. You're sober, working, and have what sounds like a loving relationship.

You're coming up on a year, how do you feel about that?
Old 02-01-2018, 02:30 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

good on ya for recognizing it,G!
i moved from small town northern mi to west metro detroit 3 years ago. although ive live in metro detroit before, i was NOT used to it. so many people in such a hurry. i was out of my comfort zone.
i had to allow me to feel the feelings i was having and give myself time to adjust. i also had to learn what i did and didnt like about this city living. then stay away from what i dont like a d close to what i do like.
idk how long ya plan on being in denver, but youre rather close for some nice roadtrips out into nowhere,colorado from time to time.
i think thats near cripple creek.
Old 02-01-2018, 02:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I live in a city but, went back to my home state(countryside) for a week or so and I was bored/anxious while there at first. I did not know what to do with myself not drinking. After a few days I found myself at peace and happy I was seeing some family I hadn't seen in years. Just give it some time. I think once your contract is up and you don't have that stressful drive you'll feel a bit better.
Old 02-01-2018, 04:23 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Changr can be difficult. I hated having to move from the beach back into the city but now I think its the best thing I ever did.

Give yourself some time to get used to the new status quo comtnman

D