Notices

31 days now what should I expect?

Old 01-31-2018, 08:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

31 days now what should I expect?

Do the craving for sugar decrease? I’ve been trying to limit it a little but I still want ice cream all. The. Time.

Does energy increase? Many days my energy is consistent but so often I find I’m sleepy and don’t have that anxious energy that seemed to keep me going before

I haven’t gone to an event where Drinking was expected yet, could I be ready? I feel like I have strong convictions to not drink but admittedly I’m nervous.

Does the irritabilty and sensitivity decrease? I feel like I’ve been less irritable than I was the first week or two but now I’m at a stand still of still having this level or irritability and sensitivity that I wish could chill out a little. I feel crowded at times and find myself thinking there is constant noise everywhere 😂
Old 01-31-2018, 08:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I am almost at 2 months. I am still craving sugar, but not as bad as before. I have good and bad days with energy, but that is also improving. It gets better every day. I would not be able to go somewhere right now if drinking is expected. I dont think I would be strong enough. I still crave the drink too much. You did say you were nervous,so maybe skip this one? Good luck!
Old 01-31-2018, 08:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

I guess if you just drank a bit much for a bit too long and alcohol became a problem, then stopping drinking should be enough to fix all that stuff. Stop drinking and life should get better.

My experience was different as I am an alcoholic suffering from alcoholism. Alcohol wasn't my problem, it was my solution. When ever I stopped drinking and did nothing to treat the alcoholism, the symptoms you describe got progressively worse. That is the thing about alcoholism. Not drinking seems to bring it out. My greatest success at living with untreated alcoholism was about three months dry. For the last few weeks of that I was bed ridden, couldn't work, and living in absolute squalor. That was me sober on my own power. Restless, irritable and discontent until I could again experience the sense of ease and comfort that comes at once from taking a few drinks. Which is what happened.

So yes and no. It might get better. It depends on the natue of the problem and what you are doing about it.
Old 01-31-2018, 08:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on the first of many sober months! Early recovery can be a bumpy ride for a while. With continued sobriety it does get better.
Old 02-01-2018, 05:20 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
totfit

The cravings for sugar will stop when they are not being fed. I found limiting myself only to things that had no added sugar (or at least as much as possible) was part of the solution. A balance of fats, protein and complex carbs in my diet and avoiding sugar or strictly limiting it created balance.
Old 02-01-2018, 05:29 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I do not have much sober experience to share, but congrats on 31 days. Also thank you for sharing. This is a helpful thread
Old 02-01-2018, 05:32 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congrats on 31 days.

Sugar is like alcohol for me in that if I eat it, I want more. If I abstain, I don't have cravings. And that is hard to do for sure. I've put on weight since Cookie-pocolypse at Christmas. Its a work in progress for sure.

I was wondering if some kind of more structured program might help you. There are meetings where you can take kids. Especially woman's meetings. Or join gym that has daycare. You can drop the kids off and get a couple of free hours exercising. That was a life saver when my daughter was young. Really helps with that irritability and pent up feeling.
Old 02-01-2018, 06:16 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I remember getting to 5 weeks and feeling more irritable than I was for the first few weeks of getting sober but that did ease up with a few more weeks under my belt. As to the sugar cravings, one of my main triggers for drinking was being hungry so I just gave into them. I'm getting on for 6 months sober now and only just beginning to get to grips with cutting that sugar down.
I also found myself lacking energy but that and anxiety levels started to get better for me, at around 2 months.
This of course is only my experience, we do vary.
Old 02-01-2018, 08:56 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm around 31 or 32 days as well and I've been getting some pretty intense sugar cravings, which is weird because I never eat much sugar. Most of the time I don't give in to them because I don't keep sweets in the house. Occasionally I will have a small amount of dark chocolate and one night i had a couple donuts, which I later regretted. I'm not sure when they will go away but I just try to ride them out or eat a more healthy snack like some almonds or peanut butter.
Old 02-01-2018, 12:30 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

If you put aside for a minute the fact that you have been abusing alcohol and considered that you were suffering from the symptoms you’ve highlighted what would you do? Would you seek help? Personally if I had those symptoms without ever having had a drink I might go to a doctor, maybe you could consider doing the same?
Old 02-01-2018, 12:51 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
under new management

When I consider how long I drank, I needed some decent time under my belt before things started to consistently improve.

Not saying that 1 month isn't decent, it is FANTASTIC!!!

It's a process, just keep putting one foot in front of the other, it really will get better.

Old 02-01-2018, 04:38 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Things got a lot better for me in month two and I started to feel 'normal' by about month 3...hope this is the same for you readygo

D
Old 02-02-2018, 04:16 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks for posting this. I'm at about 1.5 months and while things have gotten much better since the very beginning (so much irritability early on, which has subsided a bit for the moment), I still have many moments of restlessness, craving sugar, you name it. What helps me is reading, hot baths with Epsom salts, laying on a heating pad, and drinking tons of water.