Notices

I made it to Mexico with the wifey

Old 01-29-2018, 02:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I made it to Mexico with the wifey

Hey y’all. Can’t sleep on my first night here, so I figured I’d get my iPad hooked up to the wifi and for some reason I decided to post here. Lol. First thing. Haha. This place is beautiful. Done a lot of walking around the resort, with the beach ,and pool, and all. Just lovely. Had 2meals so far, and just amazing. The booze has been readily available, pushed, poured without the ok, etc. And so far so good. I have to admit I had a drink with dinner, a small glass of wine. There was a miscommunication my wife asked for a glass and two came. I could’ve just left it but chose not to. It’s 3 am. Can’t sleep, so I’m at the sports bar with a cup of tea and just trying to relax. It would be so much easier to just get hammered on the free booze and let tomorrow take care of itself. One day t a time is one day at a time. So whoever gives a crap here. Tomorrow is a beach day, Tuesday is a tour thru pv, shops and market etc. Then up to the mountains for a tequila tour. No tasting for me. Gross. Then lunch and fishing. Any other ideas to keep busy?
Old 01-29-2018, 02:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

How's your Spanish? Maybe you could learn more about the culture and history with a good book. Can't hurt to download something to read that seems interesting! Have a good time!
Old 01-29-2018, 02:40 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Excursions, excursions, excursions, parasailing, ziplining, paddleboarding, all terrain vehicles, kayaking, snorkling, scuba diving, horseback riding, hiking in the desert, hiking in the jungle, visits to the ruinas if in your area. That's what I do when I'm there.
And biking, running, swimming, walking around town. If you can't sleep, go back to the room and turn on the TV and pick up some Spanish. It's easy.
Old 01-29-2018, 02:42 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I wanted a book because of the beach and poolside time but got around the it. So that sucks. I’m going to see if the resort has a book exchange or something. Thanks for the encouragement. P
Old 01-29-2018, 02:54 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

dude, your in mexico and going to read a book? you have months on end cooped up inside in the winter to read books,youre in mexico with a jillion things to do and youre going to read a book?
a vacation with your wife and youre going to read a book???
theres a jillion things you could do, with your wife, over reading a book.

"hey,ya went to mexico!what did ya do while there?"
"read books by the pool."
" cool!that sounds exciting! got pictures? id love to see them!!"
said no one.

seriously dude- so far a sports bar and books. on vacation. in mexico. with your wife.
Old 01-29-2018, 02:54 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I really don't spend that much time on the beach. All the heat and sun wipes me out. I am usually walking, hiking, running, or swimming. Don't be afraid to leave the resort, ride the buses with the locals and see the city. It's all 100 percent safe.

eggszactly what tomsteve says, there 's reason to waste time with a book...get out and see and do stuff. The people are great, very friendly.
Old 01-29-2018, 02:57 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Tom Steve. I have two beach days me thinks. To get tanned and relaxed. Then 4to explore. I got it
Old 01-29-2018, 02:58 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Tomsteve. Food tour as well
Old 01-29-2018, 03:10 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
dude, your in mexico and going to read a book? you have months on end cooped up inside in the winter to read books,youre in mexico with a jillion things to do and youre going to read a book?
a vacation with your wife and youre going to read a book???
theres a jillion things you could do, with your wife, over reading a book.

"hey,ya went to mexico!what did ya do while there?"
"read books by the pool."
" cool!that sounds exciting! got pictures? id love to see them!!"
said no one.

seriously dude- so far a sports bar and books. on vacation. in mexico. with your wife.
I didn't mean to sit inside and read. What I meant is that when you are out "doing your jillion things" it would be nice to know something about the country you are visiting. Have a nice day, 'dude'
Old 01-29-2018, 03:16 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

To each their own, I guess. Mrs Nons is busy as a bee in her daily life and her dream vacation would be to sit by the pool for a week and read a book. If I was with her I'd have to either entertain myself or sit there by the pool, too.

I'd rather stay at home and clean out the gutters than sit in the hot sun all day, but if you like it you like it. (Plus, sitting there by her at the pool earns me hubby points I might could cash in later. )

Have fun in Mexico!
Old 01-29-2018, 05:00 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Sorry to be a Debbie Downer - but you drank. How are you going to handle that part next time "two come" or a similar situation happens? Seems to me planning for that FIRST is better than going straight to getting books, taking walks, or any other ideas for diversions and entertainment.
Old 01-29-2018, 05:14 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hey Canuckle

I sincerely hope things go well and you have a great vacation. And if relapsing in Mexico was the goal then you're off to a great start.

I'm pretty sure most of us here are alcoholics so when I read a thread like this I just feel kinda queasy. Take care.
Old 01-29-2018, 06:53 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

“Yo no tomo” or “no tomo gracias” (with tomo pronounced toe-moe”). I don’t speak more than casual tourist Spanish, but it means “I don’t drink”. Staff should get it and be polite about it.

Resort staff probably speak English too, but I like the Spanish, because it doesn’t clue every other English speaker in that I don’t drink.

I like saying this instead: “una Jamaica in vasa con hielo e lima”. Jamaica (ha-mike-a) is a non alcoholic hibiscus extract, I like it in a glass with ice (hey-lo) and lime. It’s delicous and looks like a cocktail. Truth be told, I feel like more a part of the party that way, and makes it easier to be social.

The bottom line is I love going to Mexico, I made a decision not to drink, and I’m not going to let sobriety keep me from fun in the sun.

Feel free to correct my Spanish tho.
Old 01-29-2018, 06:54 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Canuckleman45 View Post
So whoever gives a crap here.
I think the more important question is whether or not you give a crap. Are you looking for advice on how to stay sober or just general vacation advice? Your nonchalance about your drinking both in this thread and your previous one prior to leaving suggests the latter to me.

There's certainly a long list of things you could be doing, both here in this thread as well as the one you started to plan for the trip. Perhaps also remind your wife that your goal is to be sober - wasn't she going to do the same? Even if she isn't, it's perfectly OK to ask her to be a bit more careful about ordering extra drinks.

Last edited by ScottFromWI; 01-29-2018 at 08:01 AM.
Old 01-29-2018, 07:06 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Let’s give the guy some support. If we can help keep him from turning a relapse into a full on bender, we may have done some good in the world. It’s not our choice, it’s his, but just maybe...?

Hey buddy - a big enough resort may even have an AA meeting, if that’s your program. The internet can help out there too, the local hospital may have a bilingual social outreach services list. Even the Canadian or US consulate service could be able to help?
Old 01-29-2018, 07:12 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Mercado 28! Ask your concierge about the markets in the area then take the local bus (an adventure on its own) and do some shopping. Don't forget to barter! Also, the best food is in the little hole-in-the-wall places, so ask about those too, or find them on your own. Google translator will give you some phrases- learn a few in Spanish if you are so inclined. Silver and turquoise can be purchased at a great discount down there...

¡Ten viaje bueno! Y no toma. (Have a good trip, and don't drink.)
Old 01-29-2018, 09:19 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post
Sorry to be a Debbie Downer - but you drank. How are you going to handle that part next time "two come" or a similar situation happens? Seems to me planning for that FIRST is better than going straight to getting books, taking walks, or any other ideas for diversions and entertainment.
I missed that part, but yeah, relapse. not a good start.
Old 01-30-2018, 01:44 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NoahJ View Post
Let’s give the guy some support.
we have. not how you feel we should, but we have.
reread the replies with an open mind- not worded how you feel they should be, but support in every reply.
Old 01-30-2018, 02:09 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

Just a reminder that the ignore function can be useful in reducing frustration .

Ignore bothersome members. If there is someone on the forum that bothers you, select the Ignore option on the drop down menu under their name on the post. You won't see any posts from this member again.
You can also report posts that you feel break the rules. Use the report button on the offending post.

PMs are good for personal back and forward remarks too.

Dee
SR
Old 01-30-2018, 02:42 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Samantha

I love Mexico!
I don’t know what everyone else is talking about but the places I’ve been don’t have any tours at 3am (other than coco bongos).
I’ve often got up at night, had a snack and a warm drink and then gone back to bed.
Also, I don’t like doing too many tours on vacation. If I wasn’t going to enjoy the resort amenities, I would have paid a lot less to stay in an apartment or something.
I like swimming at the beach and pool, doing the activities during the day and then seeing the show at night.
Every day of vacation I enjoy a nap as well, which is something I don’t often get during the day. I love it. In Mexico it’s called a siesta.
I think you’re doing great so far, I personally don’t consider 1 small drink a relapse.